ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SBS thread Barrel for choke?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:00 am 
Utility Grade

I have a few questions for a form 1 SBS. This will be a Remington 870 cut to 12” barrel. Barrel is currently 28” with vented rib. I can cut barrel square with a cold cut saw but will need a new front sight installed and barrel reamed/threaded for an extended choke.

I am more than likely going with a Carlson extended improved choke since buckshot and slugs will be shot, but I was wondering what thread style of choke tube to go with. I didn’t know if one held up better with slugs or one was prone to strip the threads blowing the choke tube down range. Seems like the Remington or Winchester style tubes are cheaper priced than the Benelli, Browning, etc... but if it’s being custom threaded then I’m open to any.

Also I am looking for a recommendation for a gunsmith that charges an honest price for the front sight install and threading for choke tube.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: SBS thread Barrel for choke?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:22 am 
Utility Grade

On my SBS, I didn't accommodate a chocke. I wanted the shot to spread more. If you want a bigger pattern use a threaded barrel rather than smooth bore.