Shotgun Forum banner

Benelli M4??

21K views 47 replies 29 participants last post by  AIRB0RNE6176 
#1 ·
Thinking about getting the Benelli M4................how reliable is the semi-auto? Will it cycle
"low recoil" buckshot and slugs?

Reactions: Redteam98
#2 ·
As I understand it, the M4 was designed to meet the demand of the military for a gas powered semi-auto. The reason that the military insisted on gas operation is because Benelli's normally reliable inertia system will malfunction when weight is added to the gun. The military is prone to add all sorts of lights, bayonets, night vision devices and possibly things that have not even been invented yet that greatly increase the weight of the gun.

In the civilian world, some 3 gun competitors have switched to the M4 because they add side saddles and butt cuffs to carry as many spare rounds on the gun as they can as well as magazine tubes that extend way out past the end of the barrel. Again, this greatly increased weight will induce malfunctions in inertia operated system of the M2.

So, do you plan on adding a lot of heavy accessories to your gun? If so buy an M4. If not you probably don't need it. My inertia operated Benellies run just fine with a light on the front but I have never had the need to put anything else on them. If I decide some day that I need to install a grenade launcher then I might have to opt for the M4.

#4 ·
Banshee said:
My M4 will run trap loads
Nice to know. I just got my M4. I will have to try some of the lighter loads to see but I have plenty of buckshot and slugs.

Reactions: Carmel Nova
#8 ·
Ga. Skeet said:
I am thinking of getting a M4 for home protection and would like opinions on which one to get and where to find it? Thanks in advance.
Again, unless you plan on hanging a bunch of heavy accessories on it, the M4 offers absolutely no reliability advantage over the M2, or even an older M1 Super 90 (if you can find one.) I own two Super 90's that were made in the late 1980's and one has NEVER malfunctioned while the other has malfunctioned exactly ONE TIME during a match when I leaned out from behind a barricade and fired a shot of light bird shot while losing my balance. According to the range safety officer there was a couple of inches of daylight between the stock and my shoulder when that happened. Except for that one incident which happened about fifteen years ago both of my M1 Super 90's have been totally reliable.

#9 ·
The M4 is a gas assisted inertial gun, it is soft shooting, a bit heavy and mine has been 100% with everything from low brass target loads to 3" slugs.

It's too heavy for me to use as a game gun, but is a serious step above the M2 in terms of reliability and durability.

Attachments

#12 ·
The M-4 is a good shotgun. But it's not worth anywhere near the $1,800.00+ that they're charging for it. For around the same price, or just slightly more, you can buy a Browning Citori. The M-4 is a parts bin assembled gun, that requires zero hand fitting.

The Citori requires very intricate machining and fitting. Not to mention it comes with a beautifully finished, high grade Walnut stock in many various types of finishes. And it has a beautiful gloss blued finish on it's ALL STEEL parts. The M-4 is matte finished, contains a lot of Aluminum, and comes with a cheap molded plastic stock.

Yes, I understand I'm comparing an O/U to a semi auto. But I'm trying to show that for roughly the same money, you are getting a lot more for it with an all steel, finely fit and finished Browning, That you're not with a parts bin assembled semi auto, that contains a LOT of Aluminum. Which is far cheaper and faster to both manufacture, as well as produce.

I would describe the Benelli M-4 as the finest $650.00 shotgun money can buy...... For $1,800.00 dollars.

#13 ·
billt said:
The M-4 is a good shotgun. But it's not worth anywhere near the $1,800.00+ that they're charging for it. For around the same price, or just slightly more, you can buy a Browning Citori. The M-4 is a parts bin assembled gun, that requires zero hand fitting.

The Citori requires very intricate machining and fitting. Not to mention it comes with a beautifully finished, high grade Walnut stock in many various types of finishes. And it has a beautiful gloss blued finish on it's ALL STEEL parts. The M-4 is matte finished, contains a lot of Aluminum, and comes with a cheap molded plastic stock.

Yes, I understand I'm comparing an O/U to a semi auto. But I'm trying to show that for roughly the same money, you are getting a lot more for it with an all steel, finely fit and finished Browning, That you're not with a parts bin assembled semi auto, that contains a LOT of Aluminum. Which is far cheaper and faster to both manufacture, as well as produce.

I would describe the Benelli M-4 as the finest $650.00 shotgun money can buy...... For
$1,800.00 dollars.
Well, we are all entitled to our opinions. I have no regrets with my M4

#19 ·
I own the Benelli M4 and converted it to a police/military configuration with the factory collapsible stock and one-piece mag tube while the parts were still easy to find a few years back. The shotgun will throw great patterns with the right choke and load. My M4 will shoot 2 - 3 inch groups of Federal Truball slugs at 50 yards off the bench with a Briley Mobil cylinder choke. For my aging eyes, not too shabby. The best buckshot loads for my M4 is the LE Federal flightcontrol wad 9 - 00. Using a Briley Mobil IC choke, at 40 yards off the bench I can keep all nine pellets within a medium-sized pizza box used as a target. I have shot my M4 up to nearly 700 loads using various slugs, buckshot, wimpy trap loads, field loads, and some exotic ammo without cleaning it and it still cycles with no problem. No regrets on the purchase. Every shotgun has its own purpose. While the M4 is not a trap/safe queen shotgun, it does kick some a@# on a 3-gun course and I have even killed a few deer with it using slugs. The M4 may not be for everybody especially if you are not into the "tacti-cool" stuff, but I can tell you she will perform with the right user and it has yet to fail on me.

#20 ·
Banshee said:
billt said:

I would describe the Benelli M-4 as the finest $650.00 shotgun money can buy...... For
$1,800.00 dollars.
Well, we are all entitled to our opinions. I have no regrets with my M4
As mentioned in another post I made, every shotgun has its own purpose for use. A trap shotgun would be a stale performer on a 3-gun course, but the M4 would fit the bill. On the other hand, the trap shotgun would excel shooting clays while the M4 would be rather difficult for consistency. I realize we all have our favorites and tend to get a little biased in some discussions, but to each his own. I own a boxing gym and train fighters as a part-time job, but I don't golf, dress up in eccentric clothing, and ride in an electric cart. However, if a golfer respects me for what I do, the favor is returned. Shoot straight fellas!!!!

#22 ·
My guess is the Benelli M4 is the best offensive combat shotgun available. It's reliable in the worst combat conditions. It'll reliably function after dropped in mud. It was not designed to fire target loads. It was designed as an offensive battle weapon. It was designed to fire max load 00 buck. Within seconds, it can cover a substantial area with 90 00 buck pellets.

If you need an offensive battle shotgun that's reliable in the most harsh battlefield conditions, the M-4 is the way to go. If you're looking for a reliable defensive shotgun, you'd be hard pressed to find one that surpasses the Beretta 1301 Gen II Tactical.

I needed a shotgun for wilderness self-defense. We do a lot of fishing in the Rockies where mean critters dominate. My first thought was to go with an M-4. After thinking, I went with a Beretta 1301 Gen II Tactical. I don't need an offensive combat shotgun. I need a reliable defensive shotgun. And I saved about a grand on the deal.

#23 ·
There are a number of M4 clones out there and they are reportedly parts compatible with the M4. I have 1 M1 and 2 M4. They are not field guns. And they certainly not a $650 gun as suggested. The M4 had distinctly less felt recoil and will cycle about anything except mini shells. The M1 is tough as nails. But light loads and be problematic as can an incorrect mount.

#25 ·
GE-Mini-gun said:
I've mentioned the 1301...might want to give this a look...

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=13 ... M%3DHDRSC4
The 1301 is every bit as good as the M4. I saying this owning M1 and M4. It does not have the military cache however the Beretta/Benelli designs have links. The one real advantage of the 1301 is that you can get it with all the oversized controls and longer barrels. I would prefer a 24" M4 but Beretta do not offer this length barrel.

#26 ·
Hi GE-Mini-gun,

Thanks for the link. It was an excellent video.

That shotgun course appeared to be thorough. However, I didn't see shot-and-move techniques. People seem to forget that a gunfight means a bad guy is putting rounds on them; hence, the critical importance of getting the heck out of a bad guy's sight picture. Of course, remaining behind a suitable barrier might be a better option than moving depending upon circumstances.

I've been exposed to info that the 1301 is very accurate with slugs out to a 100 yards. That got me to thinking that the 1301 might be an excellent big game gun in thick stuff. Do you think a hunter with a 1301 could hit a Rocky Mountain mule deer with it at a 100 yards distance?

I never have been able to discern benefit of 3" 00 buck loads. 00 buck is a close range load. If 9 00 buckshot won't work, I doubt that 15 would. With a shotgun, after a second shot, it's time to move. Remember that in a gunfight, a bad guy is putting rounds on a good guy.

Slugs can have utility for self-defense, but I'd rather have 00 buck. Taking time to precisely aim can be a tactical disadvantage.

Tactical reloading a shotgun is a crucial ability; however, I've not known a single professional who's had to tactically reload a shotgun in a gunfight. Gunfights where professionals were armed with an 870 were over very quickly.

I bought a 1301 because we do a lot of Rocky Mountain fishing where very mean critters live. The odor of fresh trout can confuse a hungry bruin.

BTW, I did buy an Aimpoint T-2 for my 1301. But I was thinking that it would be an excellent thick stuff big game gun. If I were to shoot Rocky Mountain mule deer and elk with it, an ounce of lead in vitals would mean affixing a tag and a lot of hard work. Bull elk are huge when you walk up to one you've just killed.

For self defense, I'd prefer open sights. But that's just me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.