ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Questions about an 1897 Winchester
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:39 am 
Utility Grade

I've done quite a bit of research on this, but still have some questions. I have a model 1897 Winchester that belonged to my late father. In the 1950s and 60s he carried it as a police officer. A co-worker of his cut the barrel, but cut it too short to be legal. Eventually I inherited the gun and bought a new barrel for it (it is the takedown style). But I know the gun is missing at least some parts and since I had other shotguns I never hunted with it.

Now Im considering having the barrel cut to either 18.5 or 20 inches, and having a gunsmith do a overall function/condition check- so that I could use it as a home defense gun. I know that sentiments do run against this for older guns, but since the barrel isn't original, and as Dad used it as a tactical piece, I don't see the sin in it and in fact see some virtues in the idea.

Questions I have are what parts might I consider replacing even if they aren't missing. I am missing the magazine take down pin and probably some other parts I haven't figured out are missing yet. Secondly is there any reason I shouldn't trust the gun? I cant date it as the serial number has been eradicated.

Post subject: Re: Questions about an 1897 Winchester
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:00 am 
Utility Grade

Does your gunsmith often work on 97’s? You might want to check with the local cowboy action shooters for their recommendation. Remember that 97 barrels don’t swap like 870 barrels but often require some professional adjustment. A cowboy forum is also more likely to have a list of replacement parts.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:06 am 
Crown Grade

Maybe check this link.

https://classicoldwestarms.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:17 am 
Crown Grade

Just a thought. Why don’t you take the illegal barrel and add a muzzle device to bring it’s length to 18.5 inches. A Cutts or a Poly Choke would be perfect. Or if you can’t find one of those, a flash hider.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:04 am 
Crown Grade

Rudolph31 wrote:
Just a thought. Why don’t you take the illegal barrel and add a muzzle device to bring it’s length to 18.5 inches. A Cutts or a Poly Choke would be perfect. Or if you can’t find one of those, a flash hider.

Great idea from Rudolph31!! {hs#

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:36 am 
Utility Grade

Rudolph31 wrote:

Now that's an idea, I hadn't even thought of that.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:36 am 
Utility Grade

It was a good idea but then I remembered that the barrel has been cut off pretty well flush with the end of the magazine. I doubt there would be space to install a comp or flash hider