ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Non buckshot 20 gauge HD loads
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:23 pm 
Utility Grade

I know buckshot is the dominant 20 gauge HD load but right now it is nearly non existent. What may be the next suitable HD load?

Post subject: Re: Non buckshot 20 gauge HD loads
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:56 am 
Tournament Grade

Wow. I did a quick search of my usual suppliers only to find everything cleaned out. The one load I still saw that could be effectively used for defense was slugs. Most people don't buy a shottie for slugs, but they'll work in a pinch. Just keep the overpenetration in mind. But I'd recommend slugs over birdshot [unless it was BBB and you lived in a dense urban area, and I don't see any of that anywhere for 20ga]. Slugs are still readily available from a plethora of online sites.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:25 am 
Limited Edition

Concur with adcard7. I have a stack of 20 gauge slugs due to the last run on ammo. The alternative is to learn how to load your own.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

Buckshot. Slugs. Yeesh.

Have you ever been hit in the breadbasket from 18 feet by a load of 7.5's out of a 20?

If you are reading this the answer is no.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:51 pm 
Crown Grade

I still have a box of 3' #2s that were used for goose hunting when lead was legal; I would bet a similar load exists now for the turkey hunters...

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:45 pm 
Utility Grade

I am also finding the retail shelves cleared of buck shot.

Some stores have more empty shelving than product.

isn't 'game' larger than 'bird' shot?

@ falcondriver6, your point is taken, and it is a useful perspective.

However, part of my threat profile at home is a brown bear charge, and I hope to start shooting before 18'.
<morbid humor>Or maybe turn the gun ...nevermind,</morbid humor>
My plan for that 5rd magazine is 00, slug, 00, slug and a little headroom for the spring.
But the magazine for the Mossberg 590M hasn't materialized.

I stumbled on some 12 GA Federal "Reduced Hazard Training" 00 buck and snapped it up, not knowing what it was. Now that I learned, I want more!

Frangible 20 GA this time for the truck gun. It would reduce ricochet off of concrete.

be safe out there!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

If brown bear is on your threat menu and you insist on a shotgun, make it a semi auto and shoot the best slugs it will shoot reliably. Keep it clean.

Personally I would carry a semi-auto rifle like a BAR in .338 Win Mag or at least a Remington in 35 Whelan with the big strong bullets.

I would not go alone and probably not at all when the bear are out and about. If a bear charges you, you will get one shot off (maybe) with a bolt gun. Many folks carry a very large revolver but it takes pretty big cahones to wait until you can smell his blueberry breath before touching her off. A large wheel gun is very portable but my cahones are too tiny for that kinda hijinx. I would faint.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:37 pm 
Limited Edition

falcondriver6 wrote:
Buckshot. Slugs. Yeesh.

Have you ever been hit in the breadbasket from 18 feet by a load of 7.5's out of a 20?

If you are reading this the answer is no.

In the past, I wouldn't disagree with your thoughts on birdshot. When living in town and concerns of overpenetration possibly reaching close by neighbors, I often stoked the home defense gun with large bird shot. Where I live now, I could use a 30-06 in that capacity without worry. The holes in the siding would be an easy fix.

Should watch the recent video of Ahmaud Aubrey taking three rounds at contact distance. All the while throwing punches and fighting over control of the shotgun. That video has me rethinking the absoluteness of shotgun stopping power and it should dissolve the mythical "racking of a slide" illusion. That kind of resolve when the chips are down is worth consideration.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:54 pm 
Utility Grade

@ falcondriver6, I wish this BBS had a like button.
I like your thinking: "Go BIG or go home!".

And although I could just let it go, I was typing too fast and will correct this here.
We have black bears in central Pennsylvania.

I'll just keep the garbage in.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:28 pm 
Utility Grade

To the O.P.:
I guess the summary is pickup the heaviest load that you can, you'll have to make do with what you have.
This shortage is described as 'insane', but it too shall pass.

I am finding a little 2-3/4" 20ga #3B (Buckshot) on random retail shelves, and very few places on line.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:03 pm 
Crown Grade

You are very late to the party if you are just now looking for buckshot.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks to all who chimed in. I’ll keep searching hoping some can be found. I hope slugs which are seemingly plentiful are a last resort