ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coach gun for HD ?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:25 pm 
Field Grade

I picked up a Stoeger coach gun recently, and I'm really liking shooting it. I love single barrel shotguns but one shot for HD just seems like not quite enough, just in case.

Two shots though, I'm thinking that will do me just fine.

I'm a therapeutic shooter, in that I just like to get out and shoot to relieve stress and relax. I shoot mainly prickly pear and have decimated I don't know how many herds of the pear.
Considering that I have more potentially fatal near misses on the highway and have never felt the need to take a defensive driving course, I'm not worried about using a double barrel for HD. Although I'll probably get another coach gun for backup.

Post subject: Re: Coach gun for HD ?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:50 pm 
Limited Edition

Not too many things on this earth that are more intimidating, imo.

tp

12/26" ATI Cavalry (hey, it shoots...usually)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'd want ejectors on a HD double gun. Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting again. I'd be expecting/intending to reload.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The truth is that most home invaders will flee after one shot is fired. A muzzle loading blunderbuss would be adequate most of the time. That being said, if you are dealing with someone who is mentality unstable, drunk or high, the noise of gunfire may not dissuade them at all. Only a solid central nervous central nervous system hit will guarantee a one shot stop. The destructive force of a shotgun blast at close range gives you a little latitude in aiming but if you miss, or only make a peripheral hit it may not lead to instant incapacitation. The ability to deliver follow up shots is critical. Two shots will probably do but then again, they might not. The more shots you have at hand the more likely you are to land a solid hit on the threat especially when you are jolted from a sound sleep at 3:00 AM when your mind and body are not functioning very efficiently.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:17 am 
Tournament Grade

I have seen tons of videos showing criminals and crazies doing more damage and continuing to fight or attack after being hit with a pistol round or multiple pistol rounds.

I have yet to see one where the same happened after being hit with a 20 or 12 gauge blast.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:06 pm 
Crown Grade

Gropey Uncle Joe recommends a Double Barreled Shotgun for Home Defense, and has for years.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

southdakbearfan wrote:
I have seen tons of videos showing criminals and crazies doing more damage and continuing to fight or attack after being hit with a pistol round or multiple pistol rounds.

I have yet to see one where the same happened after being hit with a 20 or 12 gauge blast.

How'd you miss the Ahmad Aubrey shooting. First round took part of his hand, next two were to the chest. He's taking the fight to him and swinging until the end.
https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=9HlLa_1588700357

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

southdakbearfan wrote:

Hit is the operative word. The more shots you have the more likely you are to actually make a solid hit. In the chaos of a home invasion I would prefer to have 7 or 8 tries rather than just 2.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:58 pm 
Field Grade

That is one way to look at it.

There's no way I'm going to spread around 7- 8 rounds inside my house.

Ezra Smack wrote:
southdakbearfan wrote:

Hit is the operative word. The more shots you have the more likely you are to actually make a solid hit. In the chaos of a home invasion I would prefer to have 7 or 8 tries rather than just 2.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

Having used said coach gun in sass competition, the pattern at distances inside a home would be no more than 6”, probably less than 4”. You really do have to aim them to get a hit. Even with a shotgun you need to be more than just close.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Factor in someone shooting back at you and your hit probability goes down exponentially. Again, the more shots you have the better.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:13 pm 
Field Grade

Those missed shots, where are those going to end up at ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:50 pm 
Crown Grade

mikemck wrote:
Those missed shots, where are those going to end up at ?

Same place as any other missed shot. Through the wall any electrical wireing and plumbing that happens to be in the way.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:00 am 
Crown Grade

If you ever need it, you will quickly learn why it is a very poor choice for HD.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:19 am 
Diamond Grade

I think you can factor in where you live and your local crime rates, then start considering the numbers.

Where I live, the odds of having a home invasion or whatever you'd need a home defense weapon for are extremely low. Then, factor in the odds that I couldn't deal with the situation in one or two shots. Going by numbers, I think I could rest easy with a Stevens Model 94 behind the bedroom door.

That said, I have a Mossberg 590 and a S&W Model 66 in the bedroom. :) But I think I could sleep well with just a coach gun instead.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

In most rural areas potential home invaders KNOW that they run a real risk of being shot if they break into an occupied home. Someone who knows this and breaks in anyway is seriously dangerous and probably will not be frightened off by a miss. I would rather have more than two opportunities in case I miss which is surprisingly easy to do when the target is shooting back from behind cover. And what if he brought along a couple of friends?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:33 am 
Field Grade

Going back to the highway near misses that I encounter far more often, what if the other vehicle is a big jacked up 4X4 or a tractor trailer. Not to mention the myriad other cars on the highway that might end up hitting me if I am in an accident.

I drive a small scion XA, but taking into account the above scenarios, I should consider getting maybe a humvee that can withstand these other vehicles.

Everyone has their own take on self protection, whether it be in the home, on the road, in the workplace, etc.etc..

I'm opting to shoot what I find to be the most fun and satisfying and to rely on that same gun for home protection.
My point to begin with is that if I was really that concerned with self protection, I would start with a really good course of defensive/offensive driving as those are the encounters I have most often.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:12 am 
Presentation Grade

You should use what you like. As stated before, I would be prepared to reload. At the very least I would have one of those Uncle Mike ammo sleeves on the buttstock with extra rounds.

Fact check it, over half of home robberies (not including home invasions) have 2 or more bad guys. Two rounds is not enough "car insurance" if you need them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:45 pm 
Field Grade

I have now picked up a nice Rossi SxS, 20" barrels with external hammers. Very nice indeed.

I'm thinking a more logical investment for home protection, as a first line of defense, is a sophisticated burglar alarm system.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:42 pm 
Crown Grade

A barking it’s nuts off dog is better than most systems....