ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Turkey day. This pi$$es me off!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Next Thursday is not turkey day. It is Thanksgiving!

To quote George Washington:

By the President of the United States of America. a Proclamation.
Quote:
Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor—and whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee requested me “to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness.”

Now therefore I do recommend and assign Thursday the 26th day of November next to be devoted by the People of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be—That we may then all unite in rendering unto him our sincere and humble thanks—for his kind care and protection of the People of this Country previous to their becoming a Nation—for the signal and manifold mercies, and the favorable interpositions of his Providence which we experienced in the course and conclusion of the late war—for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty, which we have since enjoyed—for the peaceable and rational manner, in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national One now lately instituted—for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed; and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and in general for all the great and various favors which he hath been pleased to confer upon us.

and also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech him to pardon our national and other transgressions—to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually—to render our national government a blessing to all the people, by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed—to protect and guide all Sovereigns and Nations (especially such as have shewn kindness unto us) and to bless them with good government, peace, and concord—To promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them and us—and generally to grant unto all Mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as he alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand at the City of New-York the third day of October in the year of our Lord 1789.

George: Washington

When people call this holiday "turkey day" it is like calling the 4th of July fireworks day. It totaly deminishes the reason behind the holiday.

Post subject: Re: Turkey day. This pi$$es me off!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:44 pm 
Crown Grade

So long as you know what they're talking about what does it matter what they call it? Turkey Day sounds cute and it's fun for the kids to say. The entirety of 2020 has been a crappy year, so cracking a smile every now and then is a good thing. Don't be such a Scrooge! :mrgreen:

DCx2 Acta Est Fabula
"Liberals need to own the First Amendment like the Conservatives own the Second" - Bill Maher
∞ R.I.P. 8Chan 2013-2019 ∞
Does anybody remember laughter? - Robert Plant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:27 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm with Ezra. "Xmas" is another one that annoys me.

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting 2 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:27 pm 
Crown Grade

“Whereas it becomes us humbly to approach the throne of Almighty God, with gratitude and praise for the wonders which his goodness has wrought in conducting our fore-fathers to this western world…and above all, that he hath diffused the glorious light of the gospel, whereby, through the merits of our gracious Redeemer, we may become the heirs of his eternal glory.”
         —Washington’s General Orders, November 27, 1779

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:27 pm 
Crown Grade

As labels, words or phrases go, I find man cave, "hard core" hunters and a deer "sit" far more annoying than...turkey day.
I like Xmas.

It's a big world if we allow it to be.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What might you call MLK day that would upset people?

That is sort of how I feel about turkey day.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:29 pm 
Limited Edition

Then I guess you would probably get really pissed if someone told you to "Eat The Bird" instead of " Happy Thanksgiving"?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:13 pm 
Crown Grade

My mother would say “Some folks borrow things to be upset about.”

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:19 am 
Field Grade

We should really just start calling all holidays Festivus.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:06 pm 
Crown Grade

Ezra Smack wrote:
What might you call MLK day that would upset people?

That is sort of how I feel about turkey day.

Do your undies get in a twist when Thanksgiving doesn't fall on the 26th? Or, is your annoyance reserved for the day regardless of the date it falls on? As someone already mentioned, you seem to go looking for things to upset you. I wish my life was so perfect I had to look for things to bother me.

T-Pee wrote:
I'm with Ezra. "Xmas" is another one that annoys me.

tp

Xmas was developed by Christian scribes over 1000 years ago. "X" is the first letter of the name Christ in the old Greek spelling in which the New Testament was written. It, as well as Theta (the 0 with a slash through it) are still regularly used in seminary schools for note taking. It may be irritating to some due to much more recent actions by some factions but it has not been considered disrespectful for the vast majority of its time of use by most.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This day is about giving thanks to God for our prosperity here in America. Turkey dinners are just a token of the celebration. You would not call Independence day "fireworks day" or Easter "egg day".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:55 pm 
Crown Grade

I cannot recall ever calling the 4th of July by anything other than that or simply the 4th in a discussion. I probably used Independence Day in a school report but rarely, if ever, in a discussion. Depending on context, I can see myself using "fireworks day" or other such moniker.

"Egg day" has a different purpose in my household but I have used "eat the ears off the chocolate bunny day" and "Cadbury egg day" that I can recall as replacements for Easter. My first school chaplain had his own special term for Easter that I am trying to remember. I answered your question, are you going to answer mine? I'll even let you choose one of the other possible determinations that follow if you so choose.

Rereading the original post, it seems ol' George proclaimed November 26, 1789 as Thanksgiving day, not that day and all those that follow. I seem to remember being taught that the practice of Thanksgiving originated long before George's decree in the early 1600's and for a very different reason than Washington's. Which one is dominate I wonder? Is it the earlier tradition or the later one that glommed onto the first one?

I also learned that Abe Lincoln declared the last Thursday of November as Thanksgiving finally making it a national holiday with a set day rather than a state holiday where the date was left to the states- if they even recognized it. One can credit FDR for changing it to the fourth Thursday for business/economic reasons.

As Thanksgiving, like most holidays whether secular or ecclesiastical, have changed to suit political, business, religious, or other reasons, does it really matter what they are called or when they are held as long as the general concept and meaning are recognized? In reality, one should recognize and give thanks every day rather than once a year to live in a country like ours. But that might seem to be refitting the yoke cast off nearly 250 years ago.