ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Anybody shoot shorts and longs, anymore?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:00 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Hunted squirrels just the other morning with shorts. I like the low noise. Nothing better than shooting them (shorts & squirrels) from a Marlin 39. Going in the morning to get some more of that shooting.

Endowment Life Member NRA, NRA Certified Firearms Instructor (Rifle,Shotgun,Handgun), Georgia Hunter Safety Instructor, Boy Scout Merit Badge Counselor (Rifle,Shotgun). MOTTO: "Molding Young Minds Is The Future" & "I'm The NRA"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:39 pm 
Crown Grade

This discussion brings up interesting points. Pop gave me a Marlin 39 A back in the early 1960's. I killed many squirrels with it, then like a young kid, I sold it some 20 yrs. later because I didn't use it much anymore and since I am left handed, I wanted a left handed gun. It worked fine but the empties ejected from the wrong side. I later acquired a quality left had bolt gun. I never liked hollow points because they ruined too much meat & always used standard velocity or low velocity/low noise types. A .22 bullet through a squirrel's head = a dead squirrel. Then I was in the attic of a old house I bought several years ago & found a full box of .22 shorts. Who knows how long they had been laying there? So I took them out to see what kind of groups I could get. They shoot plenty good enough for squirrel hunting!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I pulled the bullet from a CB cap and that is exactly what it is, a cap. There is no powder at all. The priming in the base is what propels the bullet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:16 pm 
Limited Edition

When I was young we used to shoot this old cheap made .22 short revolver that was probably all die cast metal. You had to unscrewing a rod that went thru the cylinder, remove the cylinder from the frame, punch the empties out of the cylinder with the rod, and reload it. The guy who owned paid like $12 for ot if I remember right. You could shoot longs out of it if you filed the tip of the bullet off so the cylinder would turn. We had a lot of fun with it and I am certain I owe part of my hearing loss to that revolver. I had a buddy who shot 6 longs out of it and his parents took him to the doctor because he couldnt hear right for a week.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:24 am 
Crown Grade

We have all seen "gun nuts" Actually I am one but a Jr. HS friend was the most extreme. He was no danger to anybody other than himself but one thing he would do was modify .22 lr. ammo to fire .22 cal. pellets. He would pull the bullets, adjust the powder charge, put in some sort of wadding & then insert the pellet. They were surprisingly accurate in his single shot .22 but not much good for anything a regular .22 didn't do better! My wife once asked me, "Did you have any normal friends?"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

Define "normal".

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting >3 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Do they even make the long anymore?

Shorts are still hanging own but they are uncommon and expensive compared to the LR.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:23 pm 
Crown Grade

"Define Normal"

Normal is more or less average. Who the hell want's to be average? If you are not a little crazy, you are not normal & your survival rate today is greatly compromised!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

geometric wrote:
"Define Normal"

Normal is more or less average. Who the hell want's to be average? If you are not a little crazy, you are not normal & your survival rate today is greatly compromised!

If you're a bit crazy the Indians will leave you alone since you have Bad Medicine therefore of longer life expectancy.
Besides...who on earth wants to be what passes for "normal" these days? Remember, we play with guns.

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting >3 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have .22 Shorts, Longs, Long Rifle, CB Caps, BB Caps and Shot shells in my inventory for years. Only have owned a few guns that are .22 Short Only. One a Gallery Gun and one an Olympic Pistol, manufactured prior to the rule change.

When I was last in North Caroline visiting my daughter, her local Wally World was closing out all their ammo as they were no longer going to sell ammo and I was able to pick up a bunch of .22 Low Noise, low velocity shorts as well as many other CCI .22s. I bought all the .22 ammo they had and they did not restrict me to how much I could have. It was all 70% off too.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:54 am 
Crown Grade

At one time, someone gave me a bunch of .22 'gallery' shorts. They were very loud, much louder than a regular short and IIRC had a less than 29 grain bullet.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Again I ask, does the .22 long still exist as a factory load?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Ezra Smack wrote:

I guess so, it's listed on the 2021 Winchester website. ".22 Long, 29 grain bullet, 770 fps" No stock number or SKU, though.

https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunit ... /X22LRCBMA

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Zbigniew wrote:
Ezra Smack wrote:

I guess so, it's listed on the 2021 Winchester website. ".22 Long, 29 grain bullet, 770 fps" No stock number or SKU, though.

It is certainly subsonic. I wonder if it will live on because of the prevalence of suppressors.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

The CCI .22 longs that I bought a couple years ago are labeled "CB 22 Long" and have an advertised velocity of 710 fps, exactly the same as their CB 22 Shorts. They are still in their catalog. That Winchester load mentioned above sounds like a CB load to me. CCI still has a .22 Long load on their website that they say is the "only commercially offered 22 Long cartridge on the market." It has a velocity of 1215 fps.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A lot of people don't realize that the .22 started out as a gallery gun using a musket cap to fire a small lead ball. That is where the .22 diameter came. Before long the manufacturers started putting a rim on the cap and crimping the ball in place. They became known as bulleted breech or BB caps, and later when loaded with conical bullets, CB caps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6mCec6ZqPQ

Over time the case became lengthened and a pinch of powder was added. This became what we now call the .22 short. It then evolved into the long and then the long rifle.

Last edited by Ezra Smack on Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:48 pm 
Crown Grade

I have a Winchester model 74 semi automatic that’s chambered for shorts only. It’s very effective on squirrels

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:58 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Turkinator wrote:
I have a Winchester model 74 semi automatic that’s chambered for shorts only. It’s very effective on squirrels

I’ve wanted one of those for years.

—-

For its first year of production, the Model 74 was available only in .22 Short. In 1940, a .22 Long Rifle version was added. The “Short” was discontinued in 1952, and the entire line was dropped from production in 1955. According to Blue Book of Gun Values, 406,574 were made during the 17-year run of the Model 74.

—-

The few I’ve ever seen were chambered in .22 Long Rifle.

I owned a Model 77 once, and Model 63.

As cool as they were, they would not cycle shorts. And they were not that reliable or accurate with .22 Long Rifles either.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I own a Winchester Model 77. I paid $15 for it back in the early 1960s. I occasionally use it with shorts but I have to hand load them. The last time I used it my grandson needed a hole punched in his belt and his dad was starting to do it with a pocket knife. I took the belt and a 22 short and made short work of punching the hole. Now he can hold his pants up and has a neat hole for his buckle.

I don't make it a habit of firing 22 shorts in any of my rifles except the Sears Model 34 which, though chambered for LRs only cycles shorts as if it was chambered for them.