ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Congratulations to me: 2-years today as a non-smoker
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:31 am 
Crown Grade

Curly N wrote:
That Garmin will do a good job for you, just clear the trip log out before you start to walk and allow the gps to get a lock before you start.

The thing is useless ...

I dug it out, cleaned it up, put new batteries, and realized why it was sitting in the drawer, - it's useless.

Another thing I wasted my money on ....

The thing is WAY too complicated to be of any use. I have the gray one :

User manual:
http://static.garmin.com/pumac/972_OwnersManual.pdf

The user manual is also useless, - way too complicated. Buttons all over the place, and no clue how to use it, - totally frustrated with this.

Anyone want to buy it ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:46 am 

Republican wrote:
Curly N wrote:
That Garmin will do a good job for you, just clear the trip log out before you start to walk and allow the gps to get a lock before you start.

The thing is useless ...

I dug it out, cleaned it up, put new batteries, and realized why it was sitting in the drawer, - it's useless.

Another thing I wasted my money on ....

The thing is WAY too complicated to be of any use. I have the gray one :

User manual:
http://static.garmin.com/pumac/972_OwnersManual.pdf

The user manual is also useless, - way too complicated. Buttons all over the place, and no clue how to use it, - totally frustrated with this.

Anyone want to buy it ?

Price? Also If you actually try to sell it, go ahead and move it to classifieds, somebody will want it.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:58 am 
Crown Grade

If anyone wants to buy it, make sure to post "I'll take it" so as not to get perma-banned. ;)

DCx2 Acta Est Fabula
"Liberals need to own the First Amendment like the Conservatives own the Second" - Bill Maher
∞ R.I.P. 8Chan 2013-2019 ∞
Does anybody remember laughter? - Robert Plant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:25 am 
Crown Grade

Maser wrote:
If anyone wants to buy it, make sure to post "I'll take it" so as not to get perma-banned. ;)

I thought that was a TS .com issue ? (for which I don't even understand). I wouldn't sell it there.

Anyways, was up till 1:30AM playing with this stupid thing, - I'm done with it.

There is as firmware update for it, but I can't get it to work. The unit has ver. 2.60, and there is a 3.40 version available, and several different updater tools from Garmin, for both the PC, and the MAC. I couldn't get any of them to work.

Some of the utilities say they can't find the device (which was connected to the PC/Mac via a USB cable, and others start the firmware update process, and then stop, and error out saying that there was a communication problem over the USB channel (even though the display on the unit said: "uploader uploaded ..." or some such).

So I'm done, - gonna get a new unit. Never bonded with this unit anyhow because it's so hard to use, and the "OS" is so poorly designed, that it's near impossible to use even with the Instruction Manual in your hands.

So, it's "free". I'm offering it up in the 'Pay it Forward' thread in the Reloading section :

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 8#p4061878

Easter is about "new" things, and 'new' life etc., so that's what I'm going to do: get a 'new' one.

The only thing I'm going to miss is the brand new Energizer AA batteries that I put in it.

The unit is extremely well-built and durable, - more so than it really needs to be for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:47 pm 

Probably updates off a true Serial port with a special cable.
Curly

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:35 pm 
Crown Grade

Curly N wrote:
Probably updates off a true Serial port with a special cable.

No, there's and actual USB port on the device, and the updater software in expecting to find as USB-connected device (which it does). It just fails halfway thru the process.

I know the MAC (and PC) are talking to the unit over the USB Ok, because I can use the other Garmin utility to download points of interest to it:

UPDATE:

Interesting, after I ran the above Garmin utility to download two points of interest (whatever those are), I re-ran the Webupdater as couple of times, and in finally took !

So I now have the latest 3.40 software on it.

But it still doesn't fix the known date issue. It still shows 23 Jul 58 .

Cheap thing ....

UPDATE: Actually, I did find that if you leave it on long enough, and locked on to enough satellites, it will eventually correct the date. Could take anywhere between 10 and 30+ minutes.

But as soon as you shut it off, that is lost. Which indicates to me that the battery is dead on the internal RTC (Real Time Clock) chip. Time for a new unit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ya might want to get one of those watch-like thingys called “Fit Bit” or the like that you wear on your wrist. It counts your number of steps, miles, calories burned, etc. if you really want to get into your fitness regime. My smart watch does all that. Darned thing even reminds me to get my rear in gear when I have been idle for some length of time! It will remind me to “Stretch” as well. It congratulates me when I have reached my set goal of number of footsteps for the day. I ignore it because I’m just not that regimented. In other words...I’m lazy! LOL!!

Good luck, and keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:27 am 
Crown Grade

ClaysOnlyShooter wrote:
Ya might want to get one of those watch-like thingys called “Fit Bit” or the like that you wear on your wrist. It counts your number of steps, miles, calories burned, etc. if you really want to get into your fitness regime. My smart watch does all that. Darned thing even reminds me to get my rear in gear when I have been idle for some length of time! It will remind me to “Stretch” as well. It congratulates me when I have reached my set goal of number of footsteps for the day. I ignore it because I’m just not that regimented. In other words...I’m lazy! LOL!!

Good luck, and keep up the good work!

Wow, the Fit Bit watch sounds neat.

But there's been some updates. First, I did end up getting a new handheld GPS: the Garmain gpsmap64st. Same old clunky Garmin OS, but it is a real performer for sure. The 'basecamp' software is pretty nice (but typical Garmin clunkyness).

Now I can take my walks, come home, download my walk, and superimpose it on a map and get tons of data :

Secondly, I just got a PM from my 'Pay-it-Forward' ad for my old unit, and so I'll send that out tomorrow morning.

And the walks are working too! My numbers are coming down, as are my morning numbers.

And just today I set yet another all-time record: 222 Lbs which is the lowest I've been in the last 2 years. The goal is to get back to my 2015 weight of 205 Lbs (back when I was smoking).

So I basically lost ~10-12 Lbs in the last 3-4 weeks, and I'm Happy Happy Happy !

Last Tuesday, a week ago today, I had a doctor's appointment, and a full blood work-up done.

It hasn't been quite 3 months since I took this bull my the horns, but my A1C did come down. Not as much as I had hoped for, but it is a welcome improvement none the less. It was 7.2 on November 27th, 2018, and last Tuesday I clocked in at 6.4 :

The other numbers come down too:

And blood pressure is pert-near perfect (albeit on blood pressure medication) :

Compared to January's visit :

Doc says that if I continue to lose weight (he says ~10 Lbs, but I told him 20 Lbs are coming off), that he's going to start reducing/dropping the meds starting with removing the blood pressure medication, and then possibly the others (the cholesterol med, and possibly the Metformin).

So I got more work to do still. Dropping the next ~20 Lbs is going to be a real bear.

Basically all I eat now is this home-made diabetic stew/soup :

Been eating this for lunch and dinner for a month straight now. Not sick of it yet.

But thank you one and all, - I couldn't have done it w/o all of you guys's encouragement.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:32 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You are on the right path, keep it up!

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:48 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Great job. Try reducing the amount of hamburger you are using. I went to a vegetarian diet about three years ago, and my numbers are great, blood sugar and cholestorol. I cheat once a week with a little chicken, and if we are eating out, try to eat healthy, but not strictly vegetarian. Losing the weight and exercising will help with a long and healthy life. Google Blue Zones.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:32 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Bacon and eggs = Breakfast-----Bologna and salad dressing for lunch-----Pork BBQ for supper---4 scoops if REAL ice cream for bedtime snack.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

3 out of 4 adult men in US are either overweight or obese, with all the associated health problems.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:44 pm 
Crown Grade

oregunner wrote:
3 out of 4 adult men in US are either overweight or obese, with all the associated health problems.

Well, there's varying shades of grey I think....

According to this, I've been "obese" most of my life, but hardly anyone would agree with that (when I was at 205) :

According to their chart, and at 6' 0" (varies between 5' 11.5", and 6' 0"), I' have to be BELOW 184 Lbs ....

I don't think I've EVER been below 184 Lbs, and just can't even imagine that, and what I'd look like.

So my BMI numbers of 31.x, and 32.y shown above put me in the 'obese' category. I grapple with that, and have a hard time getting my head around that.

But..... Doesn't seem likely that I'd ever be able to petition them to change that chart, soooooo, looks like I have a NEW target to get to: 184.

So instead of current (previous) goal of dropping another ~20 Lbs (to get to my previous ~205 Lbs), now I have to drop 41 Lbs, - more than DOUBLE my goal (which in itself was a tall order).

That's the problem with these "weight Gawds, - you give em an inch, and they want a MILE).

( or in this case, you give em 10 Lbs, and they want FOURTY! ).

Probably why no one even tries, - the weight gawds don't seem to play fair with any of us.

But no, seriously, this whole saga has been a real eye-opener (to say the LEAST) !

Not to judge people, but when I was in those 2 diabetes awareness classes that the doctor's office strongly suggest that I attend, I looked around at the people in the class (all roughly my age), and thought, GEEZE, - no *wonder* why you are a diabetic, - most of these people are "spilling out of their chairs".

While not 'spilling out of my chair' by any stretch of the imagination, to think that I'm *still* 41 Lbs over weight, PLUS the 10 Lbs that I lost in the last 3-4 weeks (that I'm so dam proud of), would have made ME over 50 Lbs too heavy (at the start of those classes).

Which if I had to guess, - those other people in the class are proly 100+ Lbs over weight! :shock:

I just don't see how it would be possible to lose 41 Lbs. That's like over FOUR times over and above what I already did over the last 3-4 weeks (which seems so monumental for me).

But that's Ok, I got a new number, - a new goal. Obtainable or not, ima treat it the same as my (old) goal of losing 20 more Lbs. I'll think of it as: "ahh, what's another 20 Lbs between friends, right?".

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 3:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You could work on growing 4" :)
There is something called the SBMI. that takes your age into account.
If you are 65 years old, then you are right on the edge of a healthy weight at 205#.
https://www.smartbmicalculator.com/?ru=1

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:23 am 
Crown Grade

oregunner wrote:
You could work on growing 4" :)
There is something called the SBMI. that takes your age into account.
If you are 65 years old, then you are right on the edge of a healthy weight at 205#.
https://www.smartbmicalculator.com/?ru=1

Wow! - that is one of the more interesting web sites on the subject. Thanks for sharing that.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:14 pm 
Limited Edition

Congrats Republican. What you’re doing is working very well. I wouldn’t change anything. Plus, it’s pretty easy to stay with it when you see results.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Steve, I was “smokeless” too until I began shooting black powder again!

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:30 am 
Crown Grade

casonet wrote:
Steve, I was “smokeless” too until I began shooting black powder again!

LOL, - that's down right funny !

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:46 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Might want to try cabbage soup if you want a change of diet. Taste is pretty good and it is easy to make. It jerks the pounds off------QUICKLY !!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:06 am 
Diamond Grade

I am diabetic and am on a low carb diet. I don't count calories but count carbs.
I eat whatever I want as long as I stay under 20 carbs per meal.
My latest A1C test was 6.2, down from 6.7.
Good luck.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next