ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Affinity 3 20 ga
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:51 pm 
Field Grade

Looking for a 20 to mainly duck hunt with. Really like the feel of the inertia guns but can't really justify the Benelli price tag. The affinity and Stoeger look/feel like really solid guns. Light. Good balance. Proven design. A company that will be around down the road if parts are needed.

Couple of questions...

1. Is the affinity a $200 Better gun than the Stoeger? If so, Why? The fit/finish on the Stoeger looks solid to me.

2. The best price I can find on the affinity is $699. Can I do Better? Does Franchi ever offer rebates in the spring or summer?

Post subject: Re: Affinity 3 20 ga
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:11 pm 
Field Grade

Anyone?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:04 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

This was covered on your thread from four months ago. https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 8&t=486312

A 20 gauge is not an ideal choice for ducks. You're far better off with a 12 gauge, as in a Remington V3. Softer shooting, easier loading, more effective, more versatile, better warranty, better recoil pad, better chokes, etc., etc.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/5546696/a-gentlemans-hunt-w-silver-creek

28ga birds don't know the difference between it and a 12ga.

20ga guns kill as effectively as any 12ga, the only thing they lack are the larger payloads

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:00 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Darryle wrote:

20ga guns kill as effectively as any 12ga, the only thing they lack are the larger payloads

Birds aren't philosophical. They all don't post four-year-old 'look at me' pictures. Where do you think the saying, "Dumb as a dizzy wet duck" comes from?

Both 28 gauge and 20 gauge are very poor waterfowl guns, with steel shot. They don't come close to being as effective: low pellet count = thin patterns = lost / crippled birds. A typical steel 3 inch unfolded length 20 gauge load is just 7/8 oz.

As is, a 12 gauge 1-1/4 oz. load of #2 steel shot is a poor load compared to 1-1/4 oz. lead load at ducks or at anything.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:24 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Lakenut19 wrote:
2. The best price I can find on the affinity is $699. Can I do Better?

Sure, you can do better. For the money, the Mossberg SA-20 is the best 20 gauge out there. If you want various other cosmetic variations, TriStar imports the same gun.

If you want an inexpensive inertia 20, get a Weatherby Element. $436 here: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... etic+12+26 .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:33 pm 
Field Grade

Not debating 12 vs 20....Ive been duck hunting for 30 years.....i understand the difference....where I hunt I can be selective on shots and still kill limits. If feet aren't down over the dekes I don't shoot. Most shots are under 25yrds. My SX2 has been the most reliable gun I have ever owned. Just wanting a 20. I know Randy is big on the Turkish gas guns but I can't find one in person to lay my hands on....other than an SA08 that a buddy has that is less than reliable.

My local stores have boat loads of Benellis, Franchis, Stoegers, and Berettas in 20. The two B guns are out of my price range. Thus the question about the Franchi being $200 better than the stoeger.

Not trying to beat a dead horse Randy....its the off season....what else is there to talk about:)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:06 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I understand, that's why I mentioned . . . If you want an inexpensive inertia 20, get a Weatherby Element. $436 here: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... etic+12+26 .

That saves you $250 v. your Affinity and it is at least as good of an inertia gun, from a very reputable company.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:25 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've been on numerous waterfowl hunts where 12, 20 and 28ga guns were used, and I've yet to see a situation where the gun or payload was the issue, the shooters abilities, that is a whole other story.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:30 pm 
Field Grade

Consider the Benelli (I have several) the Cadillac, the Franchi (I have 2 Affinitys) the Oldsmobile, and the Stoeger (I have none of these) the Chevy. Both of these brands are under the Benelli umbrella. The fit and finish of the Franchi is better than the Stoeger and it should be. Is it worth the extra $$, yes it is plus a 7 year warranty.

The Affinity point very easy and my wife shoots the 12 gauge with no effort.

Franchi Instinct L
SBEII Max 5, Left-Hand
Super Nova
Super Nova Tactical
Canon 5D Mk IV
Canon 7D Mk II

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:45 am 
Crown Grade

Lefty Ray wrote:
Consider the Benelli (I have several) the Cadillac, the Franchi (I have 2 Affinitys) the Oldsmobile, and the Stoeger (I have none of these) the Chevy. Both of these brands are under the Benelli umbrella. The fit and finish of the Franchi is better than the Stoeger and it should be. Is it worth the extra $$, yes it is plus a 7 year warranty.

The Affinity point very easy and my wife shoots the 12 gauge with no effort.

I would say the Stoeger is closer to a Yugo, you disrespected Chevy! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

I can’t speak for a Stoeger or a Weatherby, as Randy has elated to but I can speak about the Benelli and the Franchi Affinity. I have owned both, for me the Franchi fits better for whatever reason. Not long after purchasing the Franchi, I sold the M2.
I have harvested Grouse and Pheasant with the Franchi. I bought a synthetic gun to begin with for bad weather purposes and I will be looking to add a wood stocked version soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:29 pm 
Field Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Darryle wrote:

Birds aren't philosophical. They all don't post four-year-old 'look at me' pictures. Where do you think the saying, "Dumb as a dizzy wet duck" comes from?

Both 28 gauge and 20 gauge are very poor waterfowl guns, with steel shot. They don't come close to being as effective: low pellet count = thin patterns = lost / crippled birds. A typical steel 3 inch unfolded length 20 gauge load is just 7/8 oz.

As is, a 12 gauge 1-1/4 oz. load of #2 steel shot is a poor load compared to 1-1/4 oz. lead load at ducks or at anything.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:09 pm 
Field Grade

Ended up dropping some cash on a new Affinity 3 20ga, black, 26". Now if it would just stop raining on the weekends so I can go get it dirty.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:13 pm 
Limited Edition

Great choice. The Franchi Affinity is much closer in quality to the Benelli than the price shows.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:53 pm 
Field Grade

After an informal break in of a box of random loads yesterday I just got back from shooting a round of sporting clays. At first the gun choked on 7/8oz universals and shurshots. I proceeded to shoot 20 3" lead pheasant loads and several 3" steel loads. Today at the local sporting clays course I shot everything from 1oz 1220fps high brass to the cheapo 7/8oz 1200fps unerversals without incident.

The gun points wonderfully. Loading is a bit stiffer than my SX2....but after 50 shots my thumb wasn't even close to being sore. The gun hits 6lbs 2oz on my scale. The trigger breaks well under the weight of the gun. I would guess in the 4-5lb range. I really like the larger bolt handle and ESPECIALLY like the oversized bolt release.

Recoil was a bit more than the Beretta 391 we were also shooting but even the 1oz 1220fps loads were more than comfortable to shoot. The 7/8oz loads were cream puffs.

During my 3" break in session, I put a couple of duck loads on paper. The 1 oz Rem #2 through IC was thin at 40yrds but the #4s looked really good even though 40 yrds is out there for steel 4s. I need to get some steel #3s and see what things look like. Might end up with a Trulock light mod for ducks over decoys. My digital calipers need a new battery....then I'll measure the chokes to see what construction they are. Shot SC with IC and it vaporized some of the longer shots.

Needless to say I REALLY like this gun. Granted I didn't put a ton of lead down range.....but the thing shoots where I look.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:26 pm 
Limited Edition

Glad it's working out for ya. Sounds like you're getting it dialed in. I have really enjoyed my 12 ga. It just eats anything I run thru it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

Good to hear that it’s working for you. Mine has been a pleasant surprise. I’ve taken Doves and Pheasants with mine and used it for a damp day Grouse gun.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:06 am 
Field Grade

After measuring the factory chokes the amount of construction seems very light. IC measures .616 Mod is .609 and Full measures .595. The "beginning" of the tubes measure between .629 and .631. Franchi says the barrel specs out at .620 +/-. Given that, my IC has .004 construction. Mod has .011. With the beginning of the chokes near .630 am I getting some jug choke effect? 

Sadly local stores have slim pickings for steel shot right now. Only loads i could test were Rem sportsman 3" 1 oz #2 @ 1330fps and 3" Fasteel 7/8oz #4 @1550fps.

At the pattern board with steel shot, the IC gives me 70% at 30 yrds with #4 and 80% with #2.

With mod at 30 yrds I get 76% with #4 and 84% with #2. With mod at 40 yrds I get 66% with #4 and 60% with #2.

Any suggestions on load and choke combos? Could I do better? I am looking at Trulock chokes....his Mod would give me almost the same constriction as the factory full. Would this be a no go with steel since the factory full is not suggested for steel? I also want to try a 1oz load of #4 and #3 loads.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:31 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The bore of the barrel is stamped right on the barrel to 1/10 mm. If you don't know the bore diameter, you don't know the constriction.