ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New (old stock) 48 AL 20ga has fixed magazine plug?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

I just picked up a new 48 AL Deluxe in 20 ga from Dunns Sporting Goods. As I disassembled it for initial cleaning, I was going to remove the magazine plug.

I carefully pried out the magazine tube end plug and nothing was behind it... no unruly spring jumping out of the tube. Instead, there was a smooth black plastic plug sealing the end of the tube just below the cap.

I tried pushing on it a bit and it doesn't move. Is this a permanent magazine limiter? I would like to have the full capacity!

Post subject: Re: New (old stock) 48 AL 20ga has fixed magazine plug?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

I caught the guys at the shop in the MD headquarters before they left for the long weekend. It turns out the black plastic plug I'm seeing is the end of the mag limiter plug. It's a molded plastic part and is probably stuck due to some flashing or improper molding.

I drilled a small hole in it, started a long sheet metal screw a half dozen turns, then grabbed the screw with a pair of pliers and pulled the plug out.

All fixed. Phew!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:34 am 
Limited Edition

I'm late to the party as usual Bob, but had the same issue as You did. yesterday I tried everything I could think of to get that mag plug to budge and no go. I drilled it like You did and screwed a long deck screw in to grab with a pair of vice grips. Franchi Shure didn't want those plugs to rattle around in the tube. :lol:
I will cut a piece of 3/8" dowel to the same length as the plug should I ever need another.
Thanks for the post.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:51 am 
Diamond Grade

I'm glad to have been of some help! After I got my plug out, I just sanded the large end down a bit so it slides in and out of the magazine tube easily as one would expect it to.

I hope you enjoy your 48AL as much as I enjoy mine. It's supposed to be a pleasant winter day here today and I might get out for a walk in the woods with it this afternoon. If not, I'll likely hit the pistol range. And one of the handguns I pulled out of the safe last night for shooting today is my nickel plated 5-1/2" Colt Single Action Army in .45 Colt. :)