ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Franchi AM48
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:50 am 
Tournament Grade

I am wondering if a standard 48al barrel will fit and function on a Franchi AM48. The AM is a 48 with a machined steel receiver and is chambered for 3" shells.

I came across one for sale and would like to make it into a "slug gun" if it would function with 2-3/4" slugs. I also happen to know where a franchi 48 slug barrel is, and would pick it up if the idea is sound.

Anyone have any experience here?

Post subject: Re: Franchi AM48
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:01 pm 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
This subject came up once before. I took a look at a couple of barrels and found:

If you look at a 3" barrel's barrel extension, you should see the ejector extending about 1/4 inch past the end of the barrel extension. Laying a 3" barrel and 2-3/4" barrel side by side, the only difference I can see is that the ejector on the 2-3/4" barrel ends flush with the end of the barrel extension. I have no clue if that would be a functional issue. I've never tried to swap them.

Post subject: Re: Franchi AM48
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the reply Tal.

I decided to pass on this particular Franchi and instead picked up an 11 87 Premier.
No fault on the Franchi...I just prefer Hastings Paradox Barrels and they're allot easier to find for the 11-87.