ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 720 Parts Question
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:06 pm 
Utility Grade

I am in the market for a 20ga dove/quail gun and have the opportunity to buy a very lightly used 720. I don’t know much about them but have been told that if the action bars break, repair parts are not available. Anyone have any info on this or opinions on the 720? Also, I know they are different guns, but any thoughts on the 720 vs a new Affinity 3 would be appreciated. I’m new to the forum but am really enjoying the posts. TIA

Post subject: Re: 720 Parts Question
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:28 am 
Tournament Grade

The 720 is a gas SA (Franchi's own design, now used only by Beretta, of which Franchi is a part of) and the Affinity is an inertia gun, using the Benelli designed system. I have a 720 Raptor Sporting that has had many thousands of rounds through it shooting clays without any problems. I also have a 720 youth that I have for kids to use starting out. I love this gun and plan on it being in my collection permanently. My personal feeling is that the 600, 700, 900 Franchi series are very underrated. The recoil is light and handling is great. I know that many like the Benelli but I personally don't like the inertia action, but thay is my personal preference. You will need to fully clean the 720 about every 2K rounds, but it is pretty easy to do. If you get a good price on it, it is a winner.

Post subject: Re: 720 Parts Question
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:10 pm 

The 720 is a very good model. It shares most of it's parts with the 620. They have different receiver shapes. Early 620 had the Variopress system and the later ones had the Reverpress system which the 720 uses.

I'd prefer that the action arms were not permanently attached to the bolt body. That way you could just replace them if there was a issue. It's an easy fix and may be cheaper. A good welding shop can Tig weld them for around a ten spot.