ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 48 AL does barrel length effect ejection relyability?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have posted a similar question on the general page. I didn't think of the Franchi page till after....hope nobody gets mad :oops:

I'm getting older and want to carry a lighter upland gun than my 20ga 1100LT (LT still weighs a long ton). So I'm going after a 20ga 48 AL
my question is whether a 28" barrel, being a bit heavier, is of surer ejection with light loads over a 26" barrel?

For actual wabbits & Boids I'll be using regular field loads
that have the normal degree of snot and have no doubts of either barrel there.

My question actually revolves around the sometimes round of Skeet or Sporting with loads having less snot....I'm not asking anything about portability of the extra 2" of barrel.....Before anybody asks I always have some degree of snot in my reloads... :lol: ...Art

More irredeemably deplorable than ever before, & being in the right feels pretty good.

Post subject: Re: 48 AL does barrel length effect ejection relyability?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:22 am 
Presentation Grade

These are friction guns, what I call them. There is a level of friction, in the action, that is different on every gun, by a little bit. All due to the rounds fired per gun and wearing/worn parts. Knowing this, barrel weight is minimal on a 28 to 26. That is light weight chrome molly steel. Barrel weight IS a factor on proper cycling. Basically per Franchi 48AL, you need to experiment with YOUR loads. I made a recoil assistance post years ago on the 4 levels of friction in these guns. You might check it out. Should throw some light on these actions and load types.

slomo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

Interesting question, I see you asked it in Feb..But I'll post, why not?

I would guess that a longer barrel in a 48 would cycle more reliably...Longer barrels generally add a little velocity, right? More velocity would create more recoil to work the action. Likely more than adequate to compensate for the longer barrel's weight.

Recoil guns aren't limited by design to light barrels..Franchi just made them light.
I had a Japanese A5 Magnum w/32" barrel. It cycled just fine and that barrel weighed about 1/2 as much as a Franchi does whole.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:30 pm 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
Barrel length should not make a difference. I've shot 48 AL's with barrels ranging from 24" to 32". I currently shoot one that has two barrels i swap - 26" and 32". they both work fine.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well I am speaking hypothetically...

We've put about 250 shells through the youth 48al I picked up recently. It's only a 24" barrel and has cycled and fed everything perfectly since I set it up..So it's pretty obvious to me that the short barrels work fine with standard loads.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Barrel length on the 48 AL should make almost no difference. If anything, the lighter barrel will recoil FASTER than the heavier barrel. That's what "recoil operated" means. The barrel and the bolt are pushed rearward by the recoil force of the shell. The less mass that has to be pushed rearward, the easier and faster it will be pushed rearward. A faster moving bolt will, if anything, enhance the reliability of the cycling.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

My 26" 20GA 48AL will even eject light skeet loads with the bevel ring set in the "heavy" configuration. Carrying it in the field is a dream. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

When I bought my Franchi 48 over 50 years ago, I had the barrel sent to Polychoke to have the vented PC installed. I had an overall length of 24 inches, including the PC. Never a problem and the Ventilated PC reduces the recoil, thus should cause it to have less back pressure. It works like a charm.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:47 am 
Tournament Grade

Ulysses, I'd have to maybe disagree somewhat. You're overlooking differences in velocity.

If a longer barrel is capable of generating slightly higher velocities, it will cause an increase in recoiling force. A longer barrel, even while a couple ounces heavier "could" generate enough of a boost in recoil to more than compensate for a couple extra ounces of weight.

A much lesser argument could be made in that a couple extra ounces on barrel could translate in to increased momentum once moving, allowing the shotgun to cycle through a bit more efficiently.

I'm speaking in terms of a 24" and 26" barrels. 28" in a 20ga likely doesn't gain much, if any extra velocity. I'd have to make an educated guess and say the 26" barrel would likely be the barrel length most conducive to reliability, if reliability were really an issue to start with.

It seems the quality of the shell is mostly the driving factor on these 48s...Maybe a bit more sensitive than the A5's....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:47 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

slingworks wrote:
Ulysses, I'd have to maybe disagree somewhat. You're overlooking differences in velocity.

If a longer barrel is capable of generating slightly higher velocities, it will cause an increase in recoiling force. A longer barrel, even while a couple ounces heavier "could" generate enough of a boost in recoil to more than compensate for a couple extra ounces of weight.

A much lesser argument could be made in that a couple extra ounces on barrel could translate in to increased momentum once moving, allowing the shotgun to cycle through a bit more efficiently.

I'm speaking in terms of a 24" and 26" barrels. 28" in a 20ga likely doesn't gain much, if any extra velocity. I'd have to make an educated guess and say the 26" barrel would likely be the barrel length most conducive to reliability, if reliability were really an issue to start with.

It seems the quality of the shell is mostly the driving factor on these 48s...Maybe a bit more sensitive than the A5's....

I'm not overlooking differences in velocity because in barrels of 24" to 28" length there is no difference... or at least not enough to matter. A lighter barrel will recoil faster in a recoil operated gun because there is less resistance to the rearward movement impulse.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:25 am 
Utility Grade

Interesting comment on the Poly Choke - I have an original Franchi 48 AL manual, and they recommend not using the vented choke. But if it works, well, it works. On the strength of their recommendation, I just bought a brand new non-vented one to put on one of our two 12 gauge 48s. Maybe I'll buy a vented sleeve and try it, too. Thanks, CC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

Col. Colt wrote:
Interesting comment on the Poly Choke - I have an original Franchi 48 AL manual, and they recommend not using the vented choke. But if it works, well, it works. On the strength of their recommendation, I just bought a brand new non-vented one to put on one of our two 12 gauge 48s. Maybe I'll buy a vented sleeve and try it, too. Thanks, CC

I thought Poly Choke was out of business and had stopped production. Are they making and installing chokes again? Or did you perhaps find some new old stock? I wanted a vented length sleeve for a shortened barrel 16 ga. So as to add some barrel length and weight to my old stubby Model 12 Sportsman, but I didn't want vents.

"Todd?" at Poly Choke installed the short non-vented sleeve on my barrel and said he'd swap it out at no cost when he ordered his next batch of 16 ga. long, vented, sleeves, and just not cut the vents in one for me. Hence. I'd have a little longer, heavier, barrel but without vents like I wanted.

But that never happened and then I heard the company was kaput. Their installation and service was top notch.
I think the problem was that 16 ga. was not a big seller and my request was unique. They never had demand for additional 16 ga. product before they went out of business apparently.

The choke works great. I wish I had the extra length, but it's a family gun I only use about once a year for sentimental reasons anyway. If it was a 20 ga., I'd use it a lot for dove.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:52 am 
Presentation Grade

Great thread- I'm still solving the mysteries of my own 48 AL. It's a lovely grouse gun but it's picky on ammo.