ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just bought the franchi instinct sl
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:07 pm 
Utility Grade

Anyone have one how do you guys like it.

Post subject: Re: Just bought the franchi instinct sl
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Let us know via a review how she works for you.

Nice looking piece.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:21 pm 
Utility Grade

What's the recoil like??

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:33 pm 
Utility Grade

Got out and shot it for the first time tonight. Shot two rounds of trap did not get to pattern it first so wasn't sure how it shot. I shot a 16 and 20. Gun felt great. The recoil was not bad at all. I was shooting reloads 1 ounce at about 1180 fps. Gun was a little stiff to open and close but that will loosen. Over all after the first 50 rounds I really like the gun.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:44 am 
Utility Grade

I purchased an Instinct SL, 20 gauge, 26" barrels about a month ago and really like it. I have about 500 target rounds through it shooting informally with my one step trap at the public range and am breaking clays pretty consistently, the fellow shooting next to me came over to look at the gun and was surprised that I was shooting a 20. Felt recoil in the 20 is none existent at least to me both it's light weight and slender forearm give me the same pleasure as picking up my longbow.

I have also purchased the heavier Instinct L model in a 12 gauge, 28" barrel version. I sent it back to Franchi less than two weeks ago due to some scoring in the hinge, they agreed to replace it and my dealer tells me he has received the new gun from them already, I will pick it up today and write after I have shot It more.

Although no one likes to have a problem, Franchi Service was a pleasure to deal with and took care of the problem quickly, so I feel pretty good about these guns coming with a 7 year warranty.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:10 pm 
Field Grade

what is the weight
thinking of getting a 12 but need 6.5 lbs or light er
Can load 7/8 or 1 oz and it will be great for Ruffs & woodcock

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

mpakosta wrote:
What's the recoil like??

Those are inertia guns right? Not a fan of those. That 7 year warranty talks pretty loud though.

slomo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:46 pm 
Utility Grade

To me recoil in the L model 12 gauge and the SL in 20 gauge are not a problem I think the L is about 6.5 lbs and the Sl a pound lighter.

I am not sure if they are an inertia mechanism or not, that is a good question, when I pull the trigger on a snap cap the second barrel is always cocked and ready, I do not know if that would mean they are mechanical or not.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:29 am 
Crown Grade

Nice looking gun.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:15 pm 
Field Grade

slomo wrote:
mpakosta wrote:
What's the recoil like??

Those are inertia guns right? Not a fan of those. That 7 year warranty talks pretty loud though.

slomo

Thought most shotguns are manufactured with inertia triggers.

Looked at these awhile back and the following is cut and pasted from American Rifleman:

Both guns have a single-selective inertial trigger design, and barrel selection is via the safety button on the top tang.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/franchi-instinct-review/

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:25 pm 
Limited Edition

oldMan1943 wrote:
slomo wrote:
mpakosta wrote:
What's the recoil like??

slomo

Thought most shotguns are manufactured with inertia triggers.

Looked at these awhile back and the following is cut and pasted from American Rifleman:

Both guns have a single-selective inertial trigger design, and barrel selection is via the safety button on the top tang.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/franchi-instinct-review/

The triggers on the Instinct L 20 ga I have are mechcanial as NO recoil is needed to setup the trigger for the follow up barrel.so not sure where this guy came up with the idea the triggers are inertia triggers.

Citori 725 Sporting
Citori 725 field 20ga
1100 Rem 20 ga Std Wgt
BPS Stalker

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:27 pm 
Limited Edition

I would have thought the triggers to be reset upon opening the action.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Volstandigkeit wrote:

On a mechanical system, both are reset, but with an inertia set up, only the first barrel is cocked when opened.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:12 am 
Field Grade

Any issues with recoil from the 1st shot, with the safety going into the safe position? Today I fired up my new 12ga L and shooting #4's, 2 3/4 length with velocity of 1330 from time to time the recoil of the 1st round would put the darn safety on.

Anyone know how to remove the auto safety feature of the Instinct?

Also had an 'one' issue with the firing pin stuck (at least I believe) in the primer. Ran a rod down the barrel and lightly hit the hull a few times and presto, I was able to open the firearm.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:04 pm 
Limited Edition

Anyone know how to remove the auto safety feature of the Instinct?

This can be done very easly by removeing the rear stock .when you get the stock off you will see a L shaped rod hooked to the bottom of the safety lever .gently lift the the short L shaped end out of the safety lever with a flat blade screw driver and roll it over so it is pointing up you then can pull it out of the receiver.i did mine 5 mins after I got the gun home .

Citori 725 Sporting
Citori 725 field 20ga
1100 Rem 20 ga Std Wgt
BPS Stalker

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:13 am 
Field Grade

Twobarrels wrote:

This can be done very easly by removeing the rear stock .when you get the stock off you will see a L shaped rod hooked to the bottom of the safety lever .gently lift the the short L shaped end out of the safety lever with a flat blade screw driver and roll it over so it is pointing up you then can pull it out of the receiver.i did mine 5 mins after I got the gun home .

Thank you, will do it this weekend.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:03 pm 
Field Grade

Twobarrels wrote:

Note following picture that I have the arrow pointing to, is that the safety lever? If so, how did you remove without bending the lever. When I attempt to 'gently lift' it feels like the arm will bend.

[url]Image[/url]

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

papaac wrote:
Volstandigkeit wrote:

On a mechanical system, both are reset, but with an inertia set up, only the first barrel is cocked when opened.

Sorry, but that is not how it works. Whether triggers are inertia or mechanical refers to how the trigger/hammer selector is set for the second shot. It has nothing to do with cocking the hammers since both hammers are cocked when the gun is opened regardless whether it has inertia or mechanical triggers.

With mechanical triggers, the dropping of the first hammer sets the selector to the other barrel for the second shot regardless whether there is any recoil. With inertia triggers, there is an inertia block that depends on the recoil of the first shot to set the selector to the other barrel for the second shot. If there is no recoil, then usually the selector will not switch to the other barrel, although on very sensitive inertia block setups it MIGHT switch over to the other barrel, but that is not usually the case. The vast majority of current O/U shotguns have inertia triggers and rightfully so, IMO. Inertia triggers work well and are quite reliable and durable with few problems.

I hope this explanation helps in understanding how it works.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

OM43,

Put the barrels back on the receiver. Open the action to cock the hammers. Push safety forward and then pull the trigger. Then open the action slowly and watch the rod that pushes the safety button rearward. It may do it on the opening or the closing of the action. That will be the rod that you need to deal with.

It might be clearer in the picture if you had a plain background instead of the barrels lying behind the trigger mechanism.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:12 pm 
Limited Edition

oldMan1943 wrote:
Twobarrels wrote:

Note following picture that I have the arrow pointing to, is that the safety lever? If so, how did you remove without bending the lever. When I attempt to 'gently lift' it feels like the arm will bend.

[url]Image[/url]

Yes that is the rod you want to remove .you first need to remove the hammer strut and spring on that side .you will need to grab the strut right where it sits into the hammer with a good pair of need nose pliers.pull back on the strut until it clears the hammer then toward you .the hammer needs to be uncocked. once you have the strut out you need to put the safety in the on position to allow the rod enough travel for the short end to come out of the safety lever.once you have the short end clear roll the rod so that the short end is pointing up .you then can gently lift it clear of the receiver as you put it rearward. i had no problems removeing it and it is still as straight as when it was installed.hope this is of some help.TB :) ps see next post below for more info.

Citori 725 Sporting
Citori 725 field 20ga
1100 Rem 20 ga Std Wgt
BPS Stalker

Last edited by Twobarrels on Tue May 22, 2012 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.