ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Affinity 3 elite ?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:16 am 
Field Grade

Looking at getting a Affinity 3 20 gauge for upland hunting and I'm wondering if the elite is worth the extra money??

Post subject: Re: Affinity 3 elite ?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

I recently bought a camo Affinity 3.5 (12 ga) 28" for waterfowl hunting, and "after" I got it I read an article about the Elite version. I recall the author stating it was "a lot of extra $$" for what you get; but it was an online article -- with many paragraphs and images -- and not just someone's posting.

You might want to Google "Affinity 3 Elite review" (or "Affinity 3.5 Elite review") and check out what you get versus a standard Affinity.

My 3.5 came with the bronze Cerakote barrel & receiver, which I really do like, in the Max 5 marsh camo (a very visually-appealing combo to me, especially for duck hunting) as well as the dual-color Truglo fiber-optic front sight. So for much less $$ than getting an Elite outright, I just added the Elite-style larger bolt handle and bolt release button (from Midwest Gun Works).

Only you can really decide if the extra features of an Elite are worth the added $$; for me, I don't think I need them (it might only be a longer forcing cone that I don't have).

Old No7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

If you want to save a little money and still have pretty look into the Affinity 3 Select. Nice furniture a little engraving some gold birds all for under $1000.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:34 am 
Tournament Grade

The Elite does get a little barrel tech plus a set of extended Trulock chokes, a nice dual color front sight, a unique set of oversized controls and in the 3 inch guns the camo guns get Ceracoat on the barrel and receiver instead of all camo, so not really that big of deal but still some nice upgrades for about $250.00. I'm interested in the upland model in 20 ga.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:35 pm 
Field Grade

I like the idea of the lengthened forcing cone and I'm not sure why all new guns don't come that way. I also like the cerakote for weather protection. Don't know if I really want the camo stock....lol
This is going to be my foul weather grouse gun so synthetic stocks are fine with me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

Okay, you like the idea of lengthened forcing cones. How lengthened do you like, 2 inches, 10 inches. What is best?

You also like cerakote. Can you tell us more about it? The only thing I could find on it is this:
Quote:
After all oils are successfully removed, the Cerakote finish is then applied using a HLVP spray gun. Skill and finesse are required to ensure the proper thickness of the coating is achieved. Too much and the finish interferes with proper firearm operation. Once applied, all metal parts are oven-cured at 250-degrees while polymer components are oven-cured at 150 to 180-degrees.

Sounds like a baked enamel finish. I suppose painting your gun does give it resistance to rust, so if this is basically painting your gun, then maybe that is the way to go.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:52 pm 
Field Grade

Cerakote for Your Firearm
Improving the wear and tear over time.
Providing abrasion, corrosion, and chemical resistance.
Improving strength and durability.

In many shotguns, forcing cone length is very short—less than an inch. Lengthening the forcing cone by 2 or 3 inches with a chamber reamer, followed by polishing, creates a longer, more gradual taper for the shot charge to transition into the smaller main bore. The hoped-for result is less pellet deformation, fewer flyers, and more uniform patterns downrange.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have the 20 ga upland elite that I enjoy very much. It is the least picky inertia gun I have so far as using light loads. Shoots 3” just fine as well. They have a goofy recoil pad that has a dogleg fit to the stock. The LOP from Franchi is 14 1/4”. If that works for you their is no issue. I need a longer pull which cost me $45 for another pad. I do like the gun though, it has become my favorite pheasant gun.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:32 am 
Tournament Grade

JoeCool wrote:
You also like cerakote...

Sounds like a baked enamel finish.

Cerakote is a baked ceramic finish, which is much harder and more durable than any enamel, which is why it's found favor in the gun world.

From the web:
Cerakote is a ceramic based finish that can be applied to metals, plastics, polymers and wood. The unique formulation used for Cerakote ceramic coating enhances a number of physical performance properties including abrasion/wear resistance, corrosion resistance, chemical resistance, impact strength, and hardness.

Those sound like pretty good attributes to me for a huntin' qun, and I really like the Midnight Bronze color on my Affinity 3.5 with Max 5 Camo (image up above).

Old No7