ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is negative of double triggers ?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:02 pm 
Field Grade

I have only owned single trigger guns thus do not know the down side of double triggers. I do know that the selector on my SKB s/s is not really that handy. That in mind I could see me selecting the back trigger on a long shot after I had become use to it. What is the most common complaint on the DT guns. chip :?:

Post subject: Re: What is negative of double triggers ?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:20 am 
Presentation Grade

2 triggers for 2 barreled gun make so much sense that there are few complaints about them.

Some people who are used to ST guns occasionally can't get the second shot out, as they keep pressing on the first trigger and wonder why nothing happens. One Maharaja of old came close to becoming tiger food this way.

There's also an opinion that ST is more ergonomically correct, as your hands to the stock arrangement remains identical for the first and second shots. With DT, it's either the motion of the trigger finger differs between shots, or you move your hand back on the grip, thus changing your shoulder mount slightly. It is for this reason that competitive shots nowadays use only ST, even though a ST is inherently less reliable than a DT.

Experientia est optima magistra.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:23 am 
Tournament Grade

I had a stevens double trigger 12 ga. shot skeet with it and the trigger gard beat the snot out of the finger behind it.I just picked up an old LCSmith double triggers no finger pounding.You can switch triggers way easier than switching a selector switch IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:26 am 
Presentation Grade

Double triggers, like operating a pump gun, is more natural for hunting type shooting than for targets. With hunting you usually benefit from taking a few seconds more to switch triggers or pump the gun, then reset for the second shot. With skeet especially taking extra time between shots will make that second shot harder or an automatic loss. I have never shot SC or trap doubles but I would expect taking longer on that second target can't be a good thing...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:37 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for your insight on this.Seems like moving your hand position to access the back trigger would be the most time loss for me. Ruff grouse in the timber don't wait around .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

English 'sportsmen' (who sometimes killed up to 1000 birds a day) in the late XIX century kept asking their gunmakers for single triggered guns, thinking they would become much quicker this way. When the great Boss & Co did offer a workable single trigger gun, it was an instant success, but... it was discovered that there wasn't any advantage in speed!

Funny thing is, ST is not quicker than DTs. In fact, if, when firing a DT gun, you don't lift your finger from the front trigger, but sort of slide it over to the rear trigger, continuing the pressing motion (and without moving your hand backwards), you'll actually get the second shot out quicker than with a ST gun. Believe it or not. It's not as intuitive as shooting a ST gun, though.

Experientia est optima magistra.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:56 pm 
Limited Edition

Humpty Dumpty said it all - and then some - better than I ever could, but I am also a fan of the double trigger design. Though they may take a bit of shooting time to get used to (especially for fast, aerial shots) I far prefer them to a single, non-selective trigger. The only real downside I've encountered, having small hands and fairly stubby fingers, is that sometimes the front trigger is a bit of a reach; some guns, particularly those from Italy in my limited experience, have a flatter-faced front trigger, almost straight up/down, that exacerbates this issue. Otherwise, I really like the simplicity and quick shot selective a DT gun offers, and think they are just fine for most uses.

Kind Regards,

~ SH ~

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I shoot skeet primarily. I own a couple of guns that have double triggers and I include them in the skeet shotgun rotation. I found that I quickly adjusted to double triggers. Somehow, I know that when I shoot those guns I have to move my finger on the doubles. I've experienced very little confusion.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:34 am 
Crown Grade

A practiced user of double triggers suffers no loss of speed in getting off two shots. For example, one of our regular skeet shooters habitually shot a Lefever. Many is the time that I saw him take high 2 about half-way to the stake and the low bird right over the stake. That's plenty quick, folks.
Then, there are people, like yours truly, who cannot use double triggers in the field but find them no trouble at all on the skeet field. I'm not nearly as quick as the aforementioned shooter, but it's no trick at all to shoot doubles well with two triggers. I think it's because in skeet the target path and speeds are known.
I once bought an LC Smith 20 gauge with the sole intention of getting to where I could switch from a single trigger to a double trigger with no more difficulty than switching guns with different safety locations. No sale; I couldn't take the pounding long enough and I haven't had the interest to buy another double to try again.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 1:30 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks to all again ! In retrospect I'm sorry that I did'nt post this sooner as I might have bought a gun I turned down .

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:38 pm 
Limited Edition

There is no negative as far as I am concerned. At present I have two SXS guns and both are double triggers w/extactors only. One is a 16ga SxS Ithaca® Lefever Nitro Special™ circa 1921 (first production year). I've used this gun to hunt with for the last 50 years.The other is a 2007 Remington® SPR220 (Baikal IZH-43) 20ga that is capable of shooting steel shot. Where I live (WA state), nontoxic shot was mandated on all state game lands in 2011.

Double trigger guns are more effecient and offer instant barrel & choke selection IMHO. No need to fuss with changing barrel and choke choke selectors. Like others have stated, you can get off a faster 2nd shot with a double trigger gun.

2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & Marine
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1 Cross + 3 Nails = 4 Given

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Bladeswitcher wrote:
I shoot skeet primarily. I own a couple of guns that have double triggers and I include them in the skeet shotgun rotation. I found that I quickly adjusted to double triggers. Somehow, I know that when I shoot those guns I have to move my finger on the doubles. I've experienced very little confusion.

ETA: I shot SuperXOne's new SKB 100 the other day. I kept moving my finger in search of the second trigger. Weird. I don't do this with an over/under. Somehow, my brain seems to know that a side-by-side is supposed to have two triggers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:41 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have a Stoeger Uplander SXS 20 gauge and a CZ Mallard O/U 20 gauge both with double triggers. I have used both guns for skeet shooting and rabbit hunting. I have no issues with getting off a second shot and prefer 2 trigger guns, especially for hunting. I agree with Humpty Dumpty when he said that you can get 2 shots off faster by sliding your finger rearward as a continuation of the trigger pull from the first trigger. One time I jumped a rabbit and only had a split second to shoot before he disappeared in cover. As I was bringing the gun up, I had already decided to shoot twice as I figured I would miss with the first shot due to the rushed nature of the shot. I swung through the rabbit and touched off 2 rapid shots. The first shot hit the rabbit and stopped him and the second shot hit just in front of him where he would have been if he would have still been running. I realized I hit him with the first shot but I was already on the second trigger and pulling it before my brain could tell my finger to stop. My hunting partner laughed at me for wasting the extra shell and said I was lucky I just missed with the second shot instead of "burgerizing" the rabbit. The point is, double triggers can be scary fast if you shoot them a lot.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:20 am 
Tournament Grade

I have used single trigger guns but I have vowed never to buy another. Reliability and trouble free shooting is what I enjoy, so double triggers for me from now on. I have seen and had enough problems with single trigger guns to put me off for life. The sad thing is new shooters seem to believe it's not " fashionable" to have double triggers so dealers won't stock them.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:42 am 
Crown Grade

I have heard of double single trigger guns, where each trigger would fire its barrel on the first pull and the other barrel on the second pull.

I have a couple of two trigger guns and pulling the second trigger has not been an issue for me, however, forgetting to pull back the hammers has cost me a bird once or twice, especially after getting used to shooting hammerless guns.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:46 am 
Crown Grade

IMO the only real disadvantage to double triggers is that once you use them for a while; you will hate going back to a single trigger! :wink:

There just is no faster or more intuitive barrel selector! None! It is not like you go through any thought process that says, Oh that bird is out there; I better pull the back trigger for the second barrel. No, instead you see the shot is a longer one and your finger automatically slides back to shoot the tighter choked barrel as you mount the gun.

The same thing happens in reverse for example when hunting doves. As they are coming into range you will shoot the back trigger (tighter choke) first and then the front. BTW, I have found that to be a quicker and easier transition than the normal front to back trigger shift. The recoil pushes the gun back slightly and puts the front trigger in perfect alignment with your finger. It seems I recall John Olin of Winchester Model 21 fame who had his guns set up that way (back trigger fired the open barrel) because that is what he preferred.

I have shot without incident due to triggers, International Skeet and Olympic Trap using double triggers. There aren't many, if any clays shooting sports faster than those two. I do think it helps to stay with one type when practicing to go hunting or whatever. I have gotten tripped up when switching trigger types one day to the next. It only happens once but that is enough.

FWIW, I hunt grouse with a double trigger gun. Sorry you passed up the gun due to what many think is a very useful attribute, i.e. double triggers.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 10:02 am 
Presentation Grade

There is no downside to double trigger guns except - for those of us owning way too many shotguns.
Changing back and forth between double and single trigger guns ruins the intuitive "autopilot" smoothness of learning to shoot one gun.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 10:38 am 
Crown Grade

I recall what a coworker once said about brakes on a car, "they gotta be there when you need 'em". The same logic applies to triggers on a double gun. When I was learning (I'm still learning) the basics, there was no down side to double triggers as that is all I ever knew but no real advantage as I never chose, I just pulled one then the other. With experience over time, I sometimes have different loads in different barrels & chose the best barrel & choke for the shot that is presented. This is a decision made in the final instant & often at least partially subconsciously. I am not a clay shooter but it doesn't seem to offer much advantage when you know beforehand what shot will be presented but in the game fields, it adds a significant element of sophistication.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 10:52 am 
Diamond Grade

The only problem I have found is the first time I short a double trigger after shooting a single trigger. The first, second shot is usually awkward when I pull the first trigger again. After that first time, I don’t even think about it again.

I shoot a double trigger stoeger for sass as they are more robust.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:29 pm 
Crown Grade

When I was very young the first double I picked up had two triggers. I figured two triggers meant two fingers. Yeah, that didn’t go well.