ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SPR100s whats up with my Patterns?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:49 pm 
Field Grade

Hi all :D . I patterned my 20Ga today and was very dissapointed :cry: . I was set up @ 30 Yrds with a full choke and #8's. I was under the impression that there should be a main area of shot with some "flyers", but the shot covered the intire 38" of paper :shock: . With a 28.5" barrel and a full choke I was expecting a little more uniformity and "tighter" pattern :cry: . When I got home and dissasembled it for cleaning i noticed the forcing cone is machined waaay to one side :( . I even had my father take a look and he thought it was waaay to one side also. Is this a problem? Do the factory chokes just suck that bad? Did I do something wrong :oops: ?

Post subject: re: SPR100s whats up with my Patterns?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It sounds like you didn't do anything wrong Robneck. How do your other choke tubes fit and pattern with this shotgun...? Just trying to help you figure this thing out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:02 am 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

When you say that you saw the forcing cone was machined way off, are you referring to the forcing cone of the chamber like this?
Some references also call the entry taper of the choke a forcing cone.

Did you see something like this, where the choke tube is not aligned with the bore of the barrel? This would not be the choke tube being off, necessarily (but is possible), but more likely the threaded hole in the barrel is not in straight.

These situations are more common than most would expect, and are problems that I correct regularly.
The CHAMBER forcing cone would not necessarily cause a disastrous pattern, but can have negative effects by inducing uneven pellet damage to one side of the lead shot column.
The angle of a choke being misplaced can have some of the same effect, and most times would also make the point of impact off, with some possibility of distortion to the even spread of the pellets.
The pellets that get more abuse in either end of the barrel will not be likely to fly as straight as the pellets with less damage on the other side of the shot column.

I am a specialty gunsmith that installs custom chokes and more.

[email protected]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:40 am 
Field Grade

This is a photo of the pattern @ 30Yrds.
This is looking down the barrel where the choke is.
This is a look into the chamber.

As too how the chokes fit, they seem to go in smoothly 8) .
The Improved Cyl and Modified chokes did much worse than this :cry: . Also I am under the impression that this is a crome lined barrel, if machining was done to correct either of these problems, what would become of said crome lining? And if the choke threads were redone, could they be threaded for a more readily availible choke thread (like actual remington)? Any help with this matter will be greatly appriciated as dove season is upon me :D .

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Before going any further with repairs or replacing the bbl or whatever you might be thinking, I would measure those choke tubes and bore and see just what choke you really have. You didn't mention the POI. If that's OK, I would suspect it's a choke problem. Shells could also be somewhat of a problem, especially cheaper shells with softer shot.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:38 pm 

I tend to agree with SS. I wonder if your choke is simply marked wrong.
FWIW, I had a similar situation with a Mossberg 835 years ago so I feel for you. I hope it is something simple as a choke issue. If not, don't hesitate to send it back for service/repair/replacement. If you go that route, I would include those pix you posted here as evidence.

Amassing a stockpile of shotshells

Post subject: Re: SPR100s whats up with my Patterns?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

Robneck wrote:
Hi all :D . I patterned my 20Ga today and was very dissapointed :cry: . I was set up @ 30 Yrds with a full choke and #8's. I was under the impression that there should be a main area of shot with some "flyers", but the shot covered the intire 38" of paper :shock: . With a 28.5" barrel and a full choke I was expecting a little more uniformity and "tighter" pattern :cry: . When I got home and dissasembled it for cleaning i noticed the forcing cone is machined waaay to one side :( . I even had my father take a look and he thought it was waaay to one side also. Is this a problem? Do the factory chokes just suck that bad? Did I do something wrong :oops: ?

If you think it may be a problem contact EAA in Florida. They will either fix it or replace the gun.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:50 pm 
Field Grade

I contacted the shop I baught it from today, they told me to call Remington to get the barrel replaced :x . Considering they are a local gun dealer only, I was hoping for a little more support from them (I did only get it a few months ago afterall). It is sad to see such little support in what they sell (the salesman told me he really tries to sell Benelli only!). I am a little dissapointed in the quality control (and miffed because dove season opens in 2 days) but it is my fault for not being more carefull in my initiall inspection of this gun when I got it. Thanks for the feedback guys. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:26 pm 
Limited Edition

As quickshot mentioned, EAA is the authorized service center for the Spartan product line. They do turn things around very promptly if needed.

You may want to give them a call and get their take on the situation.