ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: re: Need help, MP 153 is now a single shot!
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:11 pm 
Field Grade

This is what I think has happened here: the gun has a safety feature that won't let it fire with an open bolt.
Part #64 (disconnector) is a punched sheet metal lever that turns on bushing #65; when the action bar assy moves back cocking the hammer, it pushes down the front cam of #64, lifting the rear cam and the trigger bar (#52), disengaging the trigger.
When the action bar returns forward at the end of the cycle, the front cam of #64 springs up, the rear goes down together with the trigger bar and the hammer can be released by pulling the trigger.
Excessive crud and residue accumulation combined with improper lubrication caused the seizure of the disconnector or trigger bar which in turn disabled the trigger. It would be interesting to know how this happened as the bushing is free to rotate on the pin tube (#66) and into the disconnector's bore as well.
First and foremost, not after every shooting but at reasonable intervals (common sense and volume of shells fired dictates this) take the whole group apart, clean and oil it and it won't let you down.
Good total productive maintenance principles: cleaning, oiling, tightening bolts.
Spray the trigger group with whatever cleaner, then with whatever oil without tearing it down and cleaning it properly, and you have a non firing gun on your hands.
The best cleaner is the automotive carburator cleaner spray (WD-40 will work too) that softenes and disolves ANY crud; but again, just spraying it on won't fix your problems, take the darn thing apart, clean it and lube it properly (use the schematic to put it back together if need to and try not losing any parts).
I don't believe the air tool lube is good for guns; at least on the MP-153's bolt and action bar you need an EP (extreme pressure) oil, like the ones used in standard car transmissions. A good industrial waylube on the slides in the receiver and action bar will work well. Even canola oil will do, but you will have excessive wear and tear in the long term, and the bolt sees some extreme pressures and acceleration.
I use a sticky lube made by Castrol for motorbike chains (has molybdenum disulfide in it) on the bolt, in a very thin film and dry lube on the trigger group. Excessive oiling won't do any good other than collecting dirt, use a thin film.
I only use gun oil for the barrel and gas system and the gun works well.

Some pictures added:

Cocked and ready to fire

Cocked but trigger disabled, gun won't fire.

Closed bolt, the disconnector's head cam is up on the edge of the action bar cocking slide; trigger is engaged and ready to release the hammer.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:55 am 
Field Grade

I'm having this problem, but only sometimes. Seems as if on the second shot the hammer is not getting cocked. I tried adjusting the gas adjustment to no avail. Cleaned the gun pretty good tonight - will shoot in the morning to see if anything changes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:45 am 
Crown Grade

Fooshman - I had the problem intermittently with light loads when I first got the gun. It happened 3 or 4 times and then did not happen with duck loads so I mis-diagnosed it at first. A year later when it happened last duck season it was failing repeatedly and I was able to diagnose and repair it.

If it is the same thing - the trigger "feels" like it is not cocked - it is likely this same problem. The trigger bar is not dropping into place correctly so is not linking the trigger to the sear. Remember though the Hammer IS cocked and ready to fall, but the trigger bar between the trigger and hammer is not dropping into place. At any time it could drop into place and start to function, so remember that gun is cocked... I just mention that because I have seen some stupid things done with guns when they don't go off the first time.

When this happened to mine, the trigger bar itself was impinging on the trigger and it could not line up. For some of the other guns, possibly the pivots and parts were just really dirty/gummy and the disconnector itself was stuck and actually holding the trigger bar up. Whatever the reason, the trigger bar not being seated in front of the trigger is what causes the trigger to feel like it's not cocked.

Overall I really don't like the design of the this trigger group and it is the only reason I can't strongly recommend this gun. Since I fixed mine (trigger bar) it has been flawless and hopefully it continues to be, but I doubt I would ever trust this gun for home defense.

Jeremiah

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:56 pm 
Field Grade

Not sure if it's the same problem. On mine the hammer isn't getting cocked all the time. I can pull the bolt back and it will kick out a live shell. And when doing this it will cock the hammer back like it's suppose to.

When it first happened I thought that the bolt wasn't getting sent back far enough and that I needed to make a gas adjustment. I turned it down a full turn and it still happened. Lastnight I completely tore the gun down and cleaned it minus taking the trigger group apart but I did clean it out best I could.

Took the gun out this morning on a dove hunt. After the first shot at a bird I checked and the hammer was cocked and ready for a second shot. So, I settle in and wait for another bird to come by. The time comes and I fire the first shot and go to take another shot and nothing. Look at the reciever and the hammer wasn't cocked. Before we left I even tried putting the gas adjustment back to "normal" and then turning it towards the heavy setting and tried firing two different types of shells and got the same results.

I bought this gun used and it looks as it should be broken in pretty good. It's strange that sometimes it cocks the hammer and others it does not. It's driving me insane lol.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:34 pm 
Crown Grade

If you are sure the hammer itself is not being cocked, then it is in fact a different issue. Honestly, I am not real sure how that could happen with this gun. The hammer is recocked by the bolt at about 1.5" of travel after firing.

Sounds like it's time for a gunsmith to have a look at it.

Jeremiah

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:30 pm 
Field Grade

Took it over to my gunsmith and had him look at it after he was done replacing some parts on another Baikal of ours. If I remember correctly I think he said he thought the disconnector or trigger bar was bent. He did his thing and I asked if I should just order new parts, he said not really if it does it again he will heat treat it or something. I'll take it out dove hunting either tomorrow or Thursday and see if it's good to go.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:45 pm 
Field Grade

Finally got out in the field to try it out (Saturday). Worked flawlessly. One shy of a limit.

Post subject: Re: Need help, MP 153 is now a single shot!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:37 am 
Tournament Grade

A friend of mine gun won't fire when gentally leave the bolt after changing cartridge from chamber
Does anyone had this issue ?

12Ga enthusiast...

Post subject: Re: Need help, MP 153 is now a single shot!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:29 am 
Utility Grade

I had a similar issue a couple of years ago. Took the trigger assy out and cleaned it with gunscrubber and it fixed mine.