ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 20ga Baikal IZH-27
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

I just got a new to me EAA IZH-27 2oga. I know there are threads on here that talk about cutting extractor springs. does anybody know of a replacement spring? I have no idea if they have been cut. I do know that spring compression strength vary so its not just a length.

Post subject: Re: 20ga Baikal IZH-27
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

Congratulations of your purchase. You may try EAA, they could still have some parts left. Then, it's just a spring, not black phoenix feather dumped in toad piss under half moon, any spring with a suitable dia and length will work. But if I were you, I'd started with simply checking out if the ejector work, and if not, perhaps they have simply been switched off.

Experientia est optima magistra.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

the ejectors work, I assume to good! the ejectors are very hard to push in compared to my Browning. I figured this is why the action is hard to close just before it locks. I know there is a thread on cutting the ejector springs down. I just wondered if over the years someone found a replacement spring that works without cutting it. ie an extractor spring from a beretta 686.(just an example) if not the search is on...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

Can somebody with a spare ejector spring tell me the dia. of the spring?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ok so I have trimmed off 5 rings with a cut off wheel. it closes much better now! this looks to be a 2001 model. I think next might I might tear it apart and polish the cocking levers and tunnels that they go thru. I don't think it has been fired much and the stiffness when opening might go away. anybody have experience with this?

Last edited by migunshooter on Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:56 am 
Presentation Grade

If you complained to a Baikal employee about the gun being hard to close, they'd laugh and take it as a compliment - "see how tight we fit them!". Give it a couple of hundred rounds first.

Experientia est optima magistra.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

the issue with the ejector springs, they are simply to long. the channel isn't deep enough to fit the spring into even compressed. I really like the gun and the price was great! and for that price I didn't expect the same fit and finish as my browning, but I think after a full takedown clean and polish this will be a fine firearm. there is something in it some place, after it has been in the safe a couple of days it is stiff to open. once its open it does open and close nicely.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

ok, so the function is pretty smooth but I have one question. what do you do to get the action
to stay open all the way for loading the bottom barrel?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:59 pm 
Field Grade

I love mine but it is the same to load the bottom barrel . I have a 12 ga as well and it feels like a pig compared to the 20. Anxious to hear the answers !

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:57 am 
Tournament Grade

I haven't solved it 100% yet. if you open it all the way it stays but if I close a little it doesn't fall completely open again.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:44 am 
Field Grade

Hi!
Did it fall open if you close it after first opening again?
When opening a shotgun first time its needs some more power to cock the hammers again with the cocking bars and against the hammer springs tension. After this you can open and close the bbs again and the hammers are already cocked, so you don't need all the force again.
So you can try some less tensioned hammer springs which are not so tough as the original russian springs are.
If both hammers are strong enough after this and igniting the shells flawless this can be are cure for the problem.

Best regards
Mathi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

do you happen to know which spring would be a good replacement? I am pretty happy with it so far. I got it used for $275 after fighting the choke tubes out, they were rusted in pretty bad. I replaced them with the Colonial Choke & Tool extended choke tubes with plenty of choke tube lube. worked them in and out several times and the are good now. I didn't expect it to be a perfect $2000 gun. but if a few mods make it function a bit nicer I don't mind spending a little on it. It is completely useable now. and I think you are correct on the cocking levers. I think the tension on them from the springs is what lifts up on the barrels just a little. now just to find a spring that will work better!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:34 pm 
Field Grade

Well,
I own a 12ga. Baikal and so I don't know if the hammer springs are similar. I've read elsewhere the hammers springs from a 1911 45. ACP may fir in diameter but I didn't check this by myself
I don't know what a replacement spring will fit but I shortened mine by about two coils. This is for sure only recommended to do if you know what you are doing and it lightens and softens the trigger pull either.
I have no idea how good or bad your skills are but have you ever disassembled the gun by unscrewing the bolt in the butt and removed it from the action? Probably you then can polish up the parts in the action where the springs ride and the cocking bars and their ways in the receiver. This can hopefully cure the problem as well.

Best regards
Mathi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:44 pm 
Limited Edition

My cousin’s husband has a 20 ga O/U, and it has finally wore in. It opens and closes smoothly now. He has had it I know since 2008. He makes sure he takes the stock off every season and gives the internals a good cleaning and lube using break free.
His was a bear to open and close for years.

Wiggles Sadie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1030

Will Munny
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1031