ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SPR 310 not firing second barrel
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:34 pm 
Limited Edition

Hi,
I have been having an issue with my SPR 310. It’s not firing the second barrel. Some times I can push the trigger forward to have it fire the top barrel first, and it will fire both barrels. I’ve had the stock off and cleaned and oiled the trigger mechanism. Does anyone have any information on what maybe causing this?

Thanks

Wiggles Sadie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1030

Will Munny
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1031

Post subject: Re: SPR 310 not firing second barrel
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:33 pm 
Limited Edition

Update, I took the stock off and cleaned and and lubed all the internals. I went out dove hunting and went through two boxes of shells without one fail to fire on the top barrel. When we were about to leave I handed it to my 16 year old nephew, to shoot a few clays. He smoked the first one (bottom barrel) and second shot no fire. I asked him how did you break my gun? :x I had him throw me 10 in a row with no problem. Handed it back to him and same thing happened.
These are mechanical triggers on this gun right? I’m a big guy and barley feel the gun kick. The nephew is about 140.
I had his dad take the shotgun to a gunsmith (with the skinny nephew) so they can see what’s going on with it.
It beats me :?:

Wiggles Sadie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1030

Will Munny
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1031

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

Very strange problems :(

12Ga enthusiast...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:17 am 
Field Grade

There is a video on Youtube on this issue, a guy takes the gun down and shows you how to correct the problem. You should be able to search for it. Its an extensive job for someone who is unfamiliar and or doesn't have the correct tools, but it looks like a fairly simple repair for a gunsmith.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

gwgdog66 wrote:
Update, I took the stock off and cleaned and and lubed all the internals. I went out dove hunting and went through two boxes of shells without one fail to fire on the top barrel. When we were about to leave I handed it to my 16 year old nephew, to shoot a few clays. He smoked the first one (bottom barrel) and second shot no fire. I asked him how did you break my gun? :x I had him throw me 10 in a row with no problem. Handed it back to him and same thing happened.
These are mechanical triggers on this gun right? I’m a big guy and barley feel the gun kick. The nephew is about 140.
I had his dad take the shotgun to a gunsmith (with the skinny nephew) so they can see what’s going on with it.
It beats me :?:

I don't know if the gun has mechanical or inertia trigger system, but I'll bet that the problem is that the nephew is not leaning into the gun when he shoots. He needs to bring the gun firmly into his shoulder and then lean into it a little bit. The gun needs this resistance against the recoil pad in order to set the trigger for the second shot.

New shooters will often try to "hold" the gun firmly in their hands to try to reduce the kick against their shoulder, and this can cause problems. Pull the gun into your shoulder and lean into it.

OR, the kid may be "trapping" the trigger... not releasing it quickly and fully. This can cause the gun to not set the sear for the second shot.

When one person can shoot the gun with no problem, and then another person using the same gun, same ammo, on the same day has malfunction problems, it's SHOOTER ERROR.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ulysses wrote:
I don't know if the gun has mechanical or inertia trigger system, but I'll bet that the problem is that the nephew is not leaning into the gun when he shoots. He needs to bring the gun firmly into his shoulder and then lean into it a little bit. The gun needs this resistance against the recoil pad in order to set the trigger for the second shot.

New shooters will often try to "hold" the gun firmly in their hands to try to reduce the kick against their shoulder, and this can cause problems. Pull the gun into your shoulder and lean into it.

OR, the kid may be "trapping" the trigger... not releasing it quickly and fully. This can cause the gun to not set the sear for the second shot.

When one person can shoot the gun with no problem, and then another person using the same gun, same ammo, on the same day has malfunction problems, it's SHOOTER ERROR.

I have one of these. I put 2 snap caps in it. It fires both hammers/firing pins with snap caps, and no 'butt slap to reset hammer/trigger.

My understanding is that these are mechanical triggers- not inertia.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

bczrx wrote:
Ulysses wrote:

I have one of these. I put 2 snap caps in it. It fires both hammers/firing pins with snap caps, and no 'butt slap to reset hammer/trigger.

My understanding is that these are mechanical triggers- not inertia.

In that case, the problem is likely what I mentioned as the second possibility.

"OR, the kid may be "trapping" the trigger... not releasing it quickly and fully. This can cause the gun to not set the sear for the second shot."

Whatever the problem, the OP must not be having any more problems since he hasn't commented about it since my suggestion. :D

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:09 am 
Crown Grade

Might be too late to help the OP, but in case it might help somebody else I had this exact problem with the same gun, though it was a Baikal IZH 27. Same mechanicals.

I took the stock off to inspect the workings. Real easy, just one long screw under the butt plate. Inside the sear there was a a small piece of a plastic hull jammed in there and I have no idea how it could have got there. Pulled it out with a tweezers, reassembled the stock, and the gun worked fine. If you try it, be aware that if you pull the triggers with the gun disassembled you will have a real trouble cocking it again which is nescessary for reassembly, iirc.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:42 am 
Tournament Grade

Cocking hammers of disassemble gun is also not a big deal you just need - screwdriver to cock em again.

12Ga enthusiast...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:53 am 
Presentation Grade

The single trigger is mechanical, but it has an inertia block that locks the sears between shots to prevent double discharges. Second barrel FTF is usually explained by the inertia block overdoing it.

Experientia est optima magistra.