ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Baikal IZH-43 Safety? & cleaning/Lubeing internal action?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:36 pm 
Field Grade

I previously posted this in the Gunsmithing Forum trying to get some info, but it did not generate any interest there. So I'm posting here in hopes that someone may be albe to provide me with some info on the subject. I hope this is not in violation of the rules, but if so, Mods please feel free to move as necessary.

I have a like new 28 ga. IZH-43E-1C with less than 100 rds. through it and have a couple of quiesions I was hoping someone here can answer.

1.) I've read several threads about them being notorious for having trash (wood/metal filings/shavings, etc.) in their actions, so I want to disassemble, clean and relube the action and would like to know what products you all would recommend. Would you blow with air, then clean w/ brake cleaner or gun scrubber and lube with clp, or quality gun oil? Do any areas of the action require being lubed with grease, as opposed to just oil.

2.) The Tang Safety makes a very loud audible click when operated. Is this something that can be corrected by cleaning/lubing, or polishing, without compromising its integrity?

If I were using the gun for birds I wouldn't mind the loud noise, but I'll be using it for squirrels so want to quiet it down if possible.

Appreciate any input you may have to offer.

Thanks,
YB

Post subject: Re: Baikal IZH-43 Safety? & cleaning/Lubeing internal action
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:11 am 
Presentation Grade

I can't help you with the safety,I did just check the safety on my 43 any my 58 and they do make a slight sound,but not much frankly.Not enough I would even notice in field use.As far as lube,when I clean guns at work I use kerosene and a small paint brush,then blow off the kero with air from the compressor afterwards.I would be wary of putting much oil in there as lube,as the last thing you want is oil finding its way into the woodwork,maybe even try something like graphite instead of oil.

Post subject: Re: Baikal IZH-43 Safety? & cleaning/Lubeing internal action
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:21 am 
Field Grade

Caerlonie wrote:
I can't help you with the safety,I did just check the safety on my 43 any my 58 and they do make a slight sound,but not much frankly.Not enough I would even notice in field use.As far as lube,when I clean guns at work I use kerosene and a small paint brush,then blow off the kero with air from the compressor afterwards.I would be wary of putting much oil in there as lube,as the last thing you want is oil finding its way into the woodwork,maybe even try something like graphite instead of oil.

Thanks, appreciate the info.

YB