ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 20 gage only private duck clubs?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:37 am 
Diamond Grade

I don’t hob knob with the elite much, but I’ve never heard about private duck clubs requiring a 20 gage or less to shoot. I guess it’s a thing now. Of course denser than lead shot makes it easy if you’ve got the money to feed it. Don’t know if I buy into the whole ducks are less harnessed or bothered thing though.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/guns/ ... -28-gauge/

Banning 12 Gauges?
When Holly Heyser started hunting 14 years ago, she bought a 20-gauge Beretta 391 because that’s what the hunters she knew told her to buy.

“And I liked it, but when I ended up getting a 12-gauge a few years later, I ended up killing a lot more ducks,” says Heyser, acknowledging that she also started practicing more when she got the larger gauge. “So for a while, I really kind of resented the whole 20-gauge thing because I’ve been told I needed it because I’m a girl. And I’m 5-foot-8. I’m not delicate.”

As the communications director of California Waterfowl, Heyser gets plenty of invites to hunt private duck clubs across the state. Before attending one such hunt, she learned that members and their guests weren’t permitted to shoot a 12-gauge. According to Heyser, this gauge restriction isn’t the norm among California’s hundreds of duck clubs, but it is becoming more popular.

“When I first heard about this trend, I thought it was kind of snobby. Like, we’re going to use our small-bore guns,” she says, impersonating the kind of pretentious, older hunter who almost certainly wears tweed. “It just reeked of elitism to me.”

She arrived to hunt, comfortable with her 20-gauge but curious why it was required. Club members told her the “No 12-gauge” rule was designed to reduce bird disturbance.

“I thought that was the silliest damn thing I’ve ever heard in my life. Because it’s a gun, and it’s not like birds go, Oh, just a 20-gauge. I’m going to keep flying through.”

She remained skeptical until a hunt with Paul Bonderson of Bird Haven Ranch, who had just implemented his own ban on anything larger than a 20-gauge. Because she was introducing a group of wildlife biology undergrads to hunting (“so they get to know their constituents”), Heyser wasn’t shooting much that morning. And when she wasn’t shooting, she noticed surviving ducks were recovering from volleys more quickly than she was used to.

“When you fire your gun, it’s like this whole explosion that clears out everything. It makes everything shut up, it makes everything fly away. And when it’s a 20-gauge, everything just goes back to normal a little bit faster. That’s when I realized it wasn’t B.S., and it wasn’t something snotty. It was a legitimate claim.”

Post subject: Re: 20 gage only private duck clubs?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:02 pm 
Crown Grade

Commie rag.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:21 am 
Crown Grade

Pretty soon will require silencers on 410s!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:35 am 
Crown Grade

Dr Duk wrote:
Pretty soon will require silencers on 410s!

...along with bio-degradable fiber shot.

Communists fear the procurement of food without going through proper government channels of distribution and taxation. It's not about conservation. It's about making you bow to their giant green god.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:27 pm 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
I am sure the folks proposing this idea enjoy a good rush self affirmation. But, I am skeptical about any meaningful difference.

From the E.A.R. Inc. hearing protection website:
Dr. Krammer, Ph.D., Ball State University, Muncie, Indiana has documented the following pressure levels.
20 ga. shotgun - 28" barrel - 152.5dB
12 ga. shotgun - 28" barrel - 151.5dB

No, I have no info on the details of his testing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:47 pm 
Crown Grade

Humans generally hear sound over 20 decibels, and 140 decibels is about where damage may occur. If I recall what I heard, although I heard it in high school, every three decibels doubles how loud the sound is perceived by Man. If that's correct, then a 12 is roughly 1-1/3 times as loud as a 20ga..

Story time.

When I was new to duck hunting I was hunting a pair of Wisconsin kettles, one right off the road and an adjacent kettle behind the first with a bog between them. I would pull up to the pond to unload the canoe and as soon as I shut the car door about a dozen wood ducks would get off the pond by the road and go to the back pond where I would hunt. But, as soon as I paddled to the back pond the woodies would get up again and go back by the road. This went on for a couple seasons.

Then one day I was in my blind at the back pond when I saw a car pull up on the side of the road above the front pond where my car was parked. I was thinking, "Okay! Woodies coming by in 10,9,8,7,6,5.... "

But nothing.... For like ten minutes.

Then I heard the soft sound of a car door closing about a 1/4 mile away. That did the trick, took my limit.

I think that if a duck can learn to spook at car door closing then they will sure as heck learn to spook at a shot, no matter what gauge.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

This theory and rule is laughable. I agree with her initial assessment, this is snobbery and elitism backed by baseless claims and junk science. I have hunted ducks with a 20ga and I find very little difference in survivability and kill ratios when compared to a 12ga. It's all dependent on species and range, but I still prefer the 12ga for waterfowl.