ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Repairing duck decoy
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:06 pm 
Crown Grade

My young GSP chewed the bill off my new Mojo spinning wing decoy.
How to repair the bill?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Repairing duck decoy
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:16 pm 
Limited Edition

Some scrap material and Bondo.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:25 am 
Crown Grade

I'd probably try cutting one off another decoy and fastening it to the mojo. May need to stick a dowel into the bill and the mojo to hold better and epoxy it up.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:26 am 
Diamond Grade

First, forgive me for finding this to be pretty funny. Dogs do manage to get in their licks..
I just put the gunwales on an old (1912ish) canoe I have restored...my dog had chewed the tips off of one of them..it distressed me when it happened but now so many years later I decided to leave his mark on the boat when I finished it...
WRT you mojo...it may be pretty easy to whittle one from a piece of basswood and bond it on. I would use West Systems G Flex in part because I have it around but also because it is very tough and gives more setup time than most epoxies..nothing wrong with the bondo suggestion...but it needs a base to bondo to...so making a shape with it will be tricky, unless you have another mojo beak around to use for a form...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have no suggestion but in my mind I immediately heard my old hunting buddy say " if they're close enough to see the bill is missing, you will hear me shooting"

I wouldn't sweat it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

My Lucky Duck spinner was hit with a .22...
long story that still ticks me off to talk about
...and I rebuilt the broke-off parts with JB Weld. I redid the feather detail on the outside with a dremel.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:59 am 
Crown Grade

I sold it, that fixed it!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

JoJer wrote:
...and I rebuilt the broke-off parts with JB Weld. I redid the feather detail on the outside with a dremel.

That sounds scary.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:28 pm 
Limited Edition

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

lossking wrote:
JoJer wrote:

That sounds scary.

It was. My son came home from Iraq (non-combat) and bought a stamp to hunt the last day of the season with me. We were on a small island in a pond in a WMA. Some spit head pulled up to the birdwatching overlook above and emptied the clip from his 10-22 about head high thru the reeds above us. Not in error, there were 4 dzn dekes and a spinner all around us. He was well out of shotgun range. His lucky day: My son had brought along a Brit Enfield rebarreled in 45-70. That would have given him something to think about. But no way to get off the island to get it without becoming a target.
Later that night, I called the F&G Officer for the area to warn him about this guy (I only saw the car.) The officer had already met him and had ticketed him (though he was off duty) for other violations: Shooting at non-game species out of his car, shooting at power line insulators.
How incredibly stupid to survive a year in a war zone and nearly get killed by this idiot.