ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stealth 2000 boat
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:34 pm 
Field Grade

I'm interested in the stealth boat but what are the options for motors? It would be nice to get a 2 stroke outboard on there. I'm not too familiar with boats and don't know how much power I'd need to get up a river.

Post subject: Re: Stealth 2000 boat
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:06 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have seen a few around but all had electric motors on them. What hp are they rated for ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:15 am 
Field Grade

I have a 55# Minn Kota electric TM on mine and it pushes me, dog and all our gear along pretty good on a lake. Not sure on a river depending on how fast the current is.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:26 am 
Crown Grade

den9 wrote:
I'm interested in the stealth boat but what are the options for motors? It would be nice to get a 2 stroke outboard on there. I'm not too familiar with boats and don't know how much power I'd need to get up a river.

Probably more power than you can safely hang on a Stealth 2000. Of course it depends on the river's current speed, if it has rapids you'd have to negotiate, headwinds, load, etc.
I wouldn't expect too much from that craft.

Last edited by mudpack on Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:29 am 
Tournament Grade

I had the 1200 and ran a 3 horse Evinrude lightwin on it. I bought the motor mount and replaced the plastic J hooks it came with with galvanized steel hooks and nuts. Worked like a charm even in stronger tides. No speed records but got there and back. I really prefer gas powered propulsion over electric.

1984 1100 Magnum
1972 JC Higgins Model 20
2011 Super X3 Composite "The Grey Ghost"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:41 pm 
Diamond Grade

Gas powered seems like a better choice than lugging a heavy battery around. A small outboard would be more powerful and less weight

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

ImageYou can expect a lot from that craft. I used mine in smaller waters, tidal bay estuaries. The boats are extremely stable. The hull speed isnt that great, but your not going to run much of a motor on it anyways. Paddling speed is just OK, but the boat can be effectively paddled. The boat isn't light....the 1200 came in at about 100 pounds. I got good use out of mine and almost always hunted areas with no one else around, as I was able to navigate shallower waters and get where others couldn't. If it wasn't for a lousy back I'd still be hunting mine.Image

1984 1100 Magnum
1972 JC Higgins Model 20
2011 Super X3 Composite "The Grey Ghost"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:24 am 
Diamond Grade

I have a Stealth 2000, and used a 50 lb thrust trolling motor on it. There is a compartment under the seat that is sized for a battery actually, so it fits right in there. I got decent speed from mine, about as much as I wanted when I crossed a reservoir with any surface waves at all. Trolling motor will take you upcurrent without issues.

I had my motor crap out once on me, and had to paddle the thing with kayak paddle, about 2 miles... it wasn't bad at all, I actually considered not using the trolling motor after that, but just didn't want to work up any sweat in the mornings.

The boat is pretty heavy, I could drag it up into the bed of my pickup, but usually used a ratchet strap to do it. One issue is the "runners" on it have NO extra thickness, so if you drag the boat at all instead of using a wheeled cart, you'll wear through the bottom runners and make holes, and the foam in the boat can take on water. My boat was getting heavier and heavier. I flipped it over, drained water, and cut out the rotten spots on the runners to allow airflow to dry it all... Ordered some plastic from Otter to repair it, plastic welder from Harbor Freight, and fixed up the runners then added extra "wear strips" on top of that too.

For 2 people, or always using a launch spot, or just transporting to your blind then getting out of the boat, the 2000 is good. If I'm taking my son fishing or hunting, I use it.
But for solo layout marsh hunting, I thought it was too big, and I ended up buying a Final Attack also. IMO the FA is THE boat to have for one-man marsh layout hunting, I like it much better than my 2000: light, fits pickup bed, super stable, conceals better, rear motor mount plus wheels for dragging, plenty of room.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:07 am 
Presentation Grade

had a 1200.

heavy mother but nothing compares to its stability and comfort. at 230lbs I could stand in it and run the trolling motor.

tried a 2hp Honda as well but too much weight on the side. ideal situation is a mount on the back with gas power.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:41 am 
Presentation Grade

I emailed beavertail and told them I would like a 10' boat with the transom and wheels of the final attack, the cockpit of the 2000, and the front storage of the 1200. Never heard back from them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

10' is too short. the only knock on this boat is the weight.

you can rig up a transom mount if you're stuck on gas power. it certainly is lighter than a car battery for a trolling motor.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:51 am 
Utility Grade

I would like to buy a Stealth 2000 boat. Could you describe the disadvantages of this boat? My neighbor wants to sell his old Stealth 2000 boat and buy himself a new one. I want him to buy his old boat and try to upgrade it. The most important thing is to buy a trolling motor. By the way, I've already chosen some great options thanks to this guide https://fishfinderexperts.com/10-best-electric-trolling-motors-buying-guide/. If any of you know anything about trolling motors, I'd appreciate it if you could answer a few of my questions. It won't take long.

Last edited by DylanBrown on Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

DylanBrown wrote:
I would like to buy a Stealth 2000 boat. Could you describe the disadvantages of this boat? I would appreciate it if you could help me!

Go to YouTube and search for stealth 2000. There are 10 or 15 videos from people that own them doing reviews.

Go to the duck hunting Refuge forums and do a search for stealth 2000. There are 20 or 30 threads and each thread has 20 or 30 owners chiming in with all their comments on what they like and don't like.

Go to duck hunting chat forums and do a search for stealth 2000. Again 10 or 20 threads. Do your search with all one word and separate words, and you can also search on beavertail and Otter as the producers and you will get threads.

Everything you could ever want to know has already been typed and is immediately Available to You 5 seconds from now with a search on those sites.

I had one and liked it decently. It fit two people and was okay for taking my son fishing and paddle not terribly. However for solo duck hunting I like the final attack much better.

The stealth 2000 is quite heavy, maybe a hundred and fifty or more pounds despite what it says on their website. You can put it on the top of a car once you know what you're doing, but I sometimes had to ratchet it into the back of my pickup truck from launch sites with a slope and mud. The motor mounts on a side mount which I didn't love. There are some molded in spots that I still have no idea what they're supposed to hold. The runners are not very thick, and while they look like they have an inch or so of plastic they actually only have a quarter inch and are mostly foam, so it's very easy to wear through the runners and get a leak in the boat if you are dragging it. You can easily overcome this by plastic welding on some high density polyethylene, like a strip of cutting board to give some sacrificial wear points. Again there's a couple videos on doing this and I put a couple threads up on those sites about fixing holes in the boat with a cheap $20 Harbor Freight plastic welder.

If I was doing two man fishing with my kid I'd use the stealth 2000. If I was solo duck hunting I'd get the final attack. On the other hand I took my hundred and 20 lb son 2 miles up River in the final attack this week and it was fine for both of us, just very slow compared to the stealth 2000. With a 2.5 horsepower gas engine, but a weed wacker sword so I don't know if I trust the horsepower rating.