ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New Kent Bismuth Load avail this summer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:09 pm 
Field Grade

I patterned the the #4 load with the carlsons mid range choke and 177 pellets were inside the 30 inch circle.
Not prefect but good number of pellets.

I get 73.4 %.

I'd like to hear what other chokes results are being seen on this load or the #3.

This was at 40 yards.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:05 am 
Tournament Grade

After one season I'd give the new Kent bismuth a thumbs up. It hits hard and patterns good enough. I realize it's not as dense as lead or tungsten but in practice I really can't detect a difference.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

For all the guys who grew up shooting steel,ya gotta treat it like lead.Modified and full are your friends with full being your best friend. I shoot #4's out of 16 gauges both fixed chokes ones mod. other is full. For geese it's 12 gauge 1 1/4 oz of buffered #1's and full choke. Just like being back in the lead days.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:11 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ohio mike wrote:
For all the guys who grew up shooting steel,ya gotta treat it like lead.Modified and full are your friends with full being your best friend. I shoot #4's out of 16 gauges both fixed chokes ones mod. other is full. For geese it's 12 gauge 1 1/4 oz of buffered #1's and full choke. Just like being back in the lead days.

What's the pellet count in that load?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:08 am 
Presentation Grade

Sorry so late to the party. Here are a couple of patterns with the new bismuth loads. These were fired through a Carlson's extended choke tube. As you can see, the pattern opened up nicely at 30 yards and still maintained plenty of hits at 50 yards. I used this combination all last season and found these loads to be quite effective on ducks. 8)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:17 am 
Presentation Grade

Here are a couple more patterns fired with a 2-3/4" factory loading through the same choke tube from my V3. Results were similar to the 3" loading both on the range and in the field.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:38 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for all the replies. Bug Doc, great patterns on this new Kent load... looks nice.

"Stand up Chuck, let 'em see ya!" – Jackass Biden, to Missouri state Sen. Chuck Graham, who is in a wheelchair. Columbia, MO (9/12/08)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:48 am 
Tournament Grade

ohio mike wrote:
lossking wrote:
I've never used bismuth before either, but a friend gave me two full boxes of these early Winchester brand Bismuth Cartridge Co. 3" 20ga shells, 1 1/16 oz. #5. I'll probably try them in my 11-87 for early teal season or wood ducks and will likely use a modified choke. I also want to try the new Kent Bismuth 12ga loads.

Those will be kinda brittle and tend to fracture. The new stuff won't. The new #4 and #5 Bismuth is the ticket for sub gauge Waterfowl. Treat it like lead mod & full are your best friends. {hs#

Does anybody remember what speed these Winchester's were?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The velocity is not marked on the box and I'm unable to Google it up.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ya..just says "max"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:34 am 
Diamond Grade

I've shot a lot of Bismuth loads including the original Bismuth that was then sold to Winchester who basically put a Winchester sticker on some of the original Bismuth boxes. Then Bismaxx and finally the Kent Bismuth.

I can't say that I completely know why but the Kent Bismuth loads are definitely "better" with quicker more dramatic killing ability than the old stuff. I suspect it's in the why the shot is formed but it might be the wads or the powder - maybe all three. Regardless, I could live with Kent Bismuth as my only waterfowl load if I had to.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

I think I patterned Bismuth and Hevi-Shot loads when they were not so expensive. I did hunt with them for a couple of seasons. Some decoy hunts and jumping ducks off ditches. I recall a good day where I'd shot a few ducks and my shooting was pretty good. Good sneaks on the corners. The Bismuth was burger-ing the ducks so bad I was having to give them a head start. 2 3/4" #4's through a modified Winchoke.
I had to give them up when the price went up. I think I spent the difference in price on better decoying, holding still, and shooting them closer with cheaper steel.