ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 16 gauge waterfowl ammo
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:12 pm 
Field Grade

I like shooting my 16 gauge guns but for waterfowl there is a very limited, and not very good, ammo selection, as far as I have found. Does anyone have any knowledge of a company who loads decent waterfowl loads for a 16 gauge? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: 16 gauge waterfowl ammo
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:54 pm 
Presentation Grade

A great uncle bequeathed me a 1956 Browning Sweet 16. He wanted me to hunt with it so, being mostly a duck hunter, I had Briley cut some thin-walled chokes and started shopping for shells. It’s a superficial reason but I went with Federal Premium Speed Shok 16 Gauge 2¾" 15/16 oz 1350 fps mostly because Federal loads them in a purple hull. I like to take artsy post-hunt photos and the purple hulls were important.

The federal load in #2 steel is very acceptable for duck hunting. I’ve killed bluewing, shoveler, wood duck, redhead, gadwall, and black scoter with this load. I do “feel” slightly under-gunned compared to my usual #2, 1 1/8 ounce 12 gauge load but it’s more of a feeling than an actuality.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

If you don't reload Kent Bismuth is the way to go. Pretty much like shooting lead. It's available online at Cabelas'.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:52 pm 
Field Grade

Wonderful story and photos. Thanks!

Rubberhead wrote:
A great uncle bequeathed me a 1956 Browning Sweet 16. He wanted me to hunt with it so, being mostly a duck hunter, I had Briley cut some thin-walled chokes and started shopping for shells. It’s a superficial reason but I went with Federal Premium Speed Shok 16 Gauge 2¾" 15/16 oz 1350 fps mostly because Federal loads them in a purple hull. I like to take artsy post-hunt photos and the purple hulls were important.

The federal load in #2 steel is very acceptable for duck hunting. I’ve killed bluewing, shoveler, wood duck, redhead, gadwall, and black scoter with this load. I do “feel” slightly under-gunned compared to my usual #2, 1 1/8 ounce 12 gauge load but it’s more of a feeling than an actuality.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:25 am 
Presentation Grade

ohio mike wrote:
If you don't reload Kent Bismuth is the way to go. Pretty much like shooting lead. It's available online at Cabelas'.

Yep, they shoot like lead but they don't hit like lead...they don't even hit like steel.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:25 am 
Diamond Grade

Rubberhead...your uncle's gun is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship. Ditto for the photos.

Family guns are special for those of us lucky enough to possess one. From inexpensive single shots, to presentation grade high end museum pieces...the emotions and feelings behind them are priceless.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

Grouse Gunner wrote:
Family guns are special for those of us lucky enough to possess one. From inexpensive single shots, to presentation grade high end museum pieces...the emotions and feelings behind them are priceless.

You're exactly right. He passed away, as unexpectantly as a 95-year-old can, right before the duck season. The first duck I killed with the gun, I took it by the grave and shared the morning events with him, just like I had been planning...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:46 pm 
Crown Grade

Go with the Federal in #2 for large ducks a d #4 for teal. Steel patterns better than bismuth at 1/3 the cost.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

Just curious what choke you guys tried the bismuth through. I have an old 16ga. model12 with a full choke I’ve considered using for ducks over decoys. I need to pattern the bismuth to see how it behaves. Any info is appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:15 pm 
Crown Grade

MTmag wrote:
Just curious what choke you guys tried the bismuth through. I have an old 16ga. model12 with a full choke I’ve considered using for ducks over decoys. I need to pattern the bismuth to see how it behaves. Any info is appreciated.

It behaves much like lead though not as consistent. It likes to be choked. Your full choke should shoot decent patterns. However, every gun load combo is a little different. Stay under MV of 1300 fps.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

Yes I need to spend some time at the pattern board. I’ll have to check the box for the velocity. I had planned to use it for early season wood ducks and teal but never got the chance. I’m aware of the similarities to lead patterns. I’m a bit concerned/curious about penetration too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:05 pm 
Diamond Grade

I hate to say it as I am absolutely not a supporter of the company Emi also known as hevi shot. However they have a new bismuth 16 gauge shell that the numbers on are excellent. If I was reliant on commercial non-toxic loads for 16 gauge I would look at that product as well as Kent bismuth.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Like or hate Environ-metal, Inc., Hevi-Bismuth Waterfowl looks like a winner for 16 gauge shooters. 1 1/8 oz. of #2, #4 or #6 at 1350 fps, about $35 for a box of 25.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:43 am 
Utility Grade

I am getting the Hevi Bismuth for my vintage 20 gauge Browning specifically to
shoot wood ducks at the family farm. I will more than likely buy both 4's and 6's.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

When it was cheaper, I'd shoot heavy-shot 3' 12 ga 4's thru my imp/mod Winchester. As the season progressed and I shot better, especially jump shooting ditches, I had to give the ducks an extra second or two because the loads burgered the birds so bad.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

When it was cheaper, I'd shoot heavy-shot 3' 12 ga 4's thru my imp/mod Winchester. As the season progressed and I shot better, especially jump shooting ditches, I had to give the ducks an extra second or two because the loads burgered the birds so bad.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:55 pm 
Field Grade

JoJer wrote:

JoJer is right on this one. Ruberhead, I would try the Hevishot Bismuth 16 gauge in either a 4 or 6 shot. You will have no trouble cleanly taking your ducks with that and it will not be hard on your vintage shotgun which is beautiful by the way.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

Just a Heads Up to ALL that wished they had a OLD A5 16 ga like this beauty !
A friend of mine has 3 for sale , if interested pm me ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

berettahunter wrote:
JoJer wrote:

JoJer is right on this one. Ruberhead, I would try the Hevishot Bismuth 16 gauge in either a 4 or 6 shot. You will have no trouble cleanly taking your ducks with that and it will not be hard on your vintage shotgun which is beautiful by the way.

Thanks but, JoJer is talking about very hard, tungsten-steel loads and you're talking about Bismuth...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Rubberhead, you are an artist. You shouldn't refer to your photography as "artsy", and quite frankly I'm a little offended. It's ok to know that you are good at something. :wink:
-----------

Right. Hevi bisimuh? Uhummm ...

It only come in sizes up to #1. For pass shooting geese I prefer Kent brand Bismuth size BB. That's right, nothing smokes them like Kents! Try Kent Bismuth, for all your non-toxic shot waterfowl and upland needs! If it's gotta be dead, it's gotta be Kents.

:wink:

But yeah bismuth, as a projectile, makes steel look like worthless crap. I used the record label brand bismuth in size #4 out of a 28ga. and rocked a couple ducks and three geese last season. Also four geese with BB size bismuth pass shooting out of an old 30" full choked savage 944. Judging by the #4 I have used, I think #6 might be a bit light for ducks. The size #5 Kent Bismuth that I tried ran small, closer to size #6. The record-label-brand hevi-bismuth #4 ran a bit larger that #4, closer to #3-1/2 size.

Lol, for those of you who don't get the record label jab-

https://youtube.com/watch?v=bnHM0Vqj-d0

Listen, you'll get there...

In God We Trust.