ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dispatching Geese In Hand?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:58 am 
Crown Grade

Had a cripple this morning early goose and had a hard time trying to wring it's neck. Started flopping in the bottom of the boat with eyes open half a minute after I scooped it up. What a shame! Finally stabbed at base of skull with pen knife. Is there a better way or a certain technique to wringing, or am I better off with the ice picking? Thanks.

In God We Trust.

Post subject: Re: Dispatching Geese In Hand?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:32 pm 
Crown Grade

My friends and I always just wrung the necks - but we were hunting pheasants, not large geese. I imagine a simple neck snap would work

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

We wring necks, but only kill specks and snows, not the larger Canada geese. Seems to me that a fish billy to the back of their head would work well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:02 pm 
Crown Grade

lossking wrote:
We wring necks, but only kill specks and snows, not the larger Canada geese. Seems to me that a fish billy to the back of their head would work well.

Just keep wringing until dead!
Sometimes takes several times to dispatch.
Never had one I couldn’t kill.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:35 pm 
Crown Grade

I twisted with both hands, could not get neck to snap despite holding so tight the skin of the neck tore off. It was just plain ugly and I felt like tossing it out of the skiff to shoot it again. :?

I got a good hunk of hickory I use on fish. Will carry that to try next time. Thanks.

In God We Trust.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:23 pm 
Crown Grade

oldthompson wrote:
I twisted with both hands, could not get neck to snap despite holding so tight the skin of the neck tore off. It was just plain ugly and I felt like tossing it out of the skiff to shoot it again. :?

I got a good hunk of hickory I use on fish. Will carry that to try next time. Thanks.

That sort of thing can get pretty unpleasant, at least for me. That`s a main reason for no long ( over about 30 yards ) shots for me at turkey. I know it`s more difficult with flying game, but I prefer that they not know what hit them.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

This if you are not strong enough to wring hard. Sometimes I’m a bit too vigorous and a goose will fly off one direction while I have its head still in my hand. Never makes for a pretty post hunt picture. Sooo we just skip those if it happens!

https://www.fieldandstream.com/finisher ... and-birds/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:40 pm 
Limited Edition

Just wring the neck. I grab em by the head in one hand give them a bit of a twirl and a quick jerk. Breaks the neck every time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:38 pm 
Limited Edition

I keep a pair of Channel Locks in the boat for cripples with ducks. One quick, hard squeeze gets the job done and barely ruffles any feathers. I just don’t like wringing necks. I don’t see why the Channel Locks wouldn’t work on geese and they are pretty handy to have around anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

https://www.fieldandstream.com/finisher ... and-birds/

I have never used one but my buddies do

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Seems you need a subscription to view that page from F&S.

What is the product?

In God We Trust.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

https://adrenal-line.com/collections/finisher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Thanks Patently Obvious.

In God We Trust.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:44 pm 
Diamond Grade

I used to grab magpie geese with the palm under the beak/bill and flick them so the neck snapped.
But you had to get a sharp angle to snap it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:50 am 
Field Grade

Take out your knife and slice their throat (the arteries). Same for turkey. Hold the head, but keep a foot on them so they don't thrash around or you will get splattered. Quicker then you might think.

You can thank me later.......

BTW, it's common guys carry a knife into the field that is larger and heavier then necessary (and dull). I carry in my pocket Benchmade "Mini Griptilians", less then 3". Suits most tasks, anything larger is in my blind bag, knapsack or truck. Since dull knives are useless and potentially dangerous to the user, I always have sharp ones available to use when walking out the door.

If you don't have the time, knowledge or tools to sharpen and oil, then pay someone to do it. e.g. Benchmade will re-sharpen, clean, repair and oil for "lifetime" for FREE. So I send them more then one at a time in a small flat rate box. They ship them back ready to go.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade ... lian--1721

https://www.benchmade.com/lifesharp-service

And no, I don't work for them. Just a fan.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:18 pm 
Field Grade

I drown them. Typically holding the head under for 30 seconds will do it. They don't flop or fight.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:10 am 
Tournament Grade

Go to a place that sells fishing supplies and get yourself a pair of split ring pliers. Just like a regular pliers except that the end of the pliers has a point on it that you can use to pierce the gooses brain. One simple squeeze and no mess no fuss.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:28 pm 
Utility Grade

If there on the ground you can step on there backs and or kneel on the back. More pressure than you think. Youll hear a sigh. Dont lift up till they stop flapping. Its prettt quick. And then there done.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

Turpentine1 wrote:
I keep a pair of Channel Locks in the boat for cripples with ducks. One quick, hard squeeze gets the job done and barely ruffles any feathers. I just don’t like wringing necks. I don’t see why the Channel Locks wouldn’t work on geese and they are pretty handy to have around anyway.

I used to keep my Leatherman handy when hunting for just this chore.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:08 pm 
Field Grade

http://www.cutemdownwaterfowl.com/produ ... ting-tool/