ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone use non-camo Canvas Field coats in Tan/Olive/Brown?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:34 pm 
Utility Grade

Just a question on using non-traditional and not-so modern clothing for waterfowl.

Starting to get into duck/geese hunting. I already have a lot of upland clothing which includes Bean-type Upland Field jackets in Tan, Brown and Olive. Also worn-in Carhartts and solid color Carhartt Hoodies. I love the look of worn and abused Filson waxed canvas and think it actually blends quite well. Do any of you still wear the old school solid color Canvas coats while hunting geese and ducks?

Also, what do you think about certain military surplus camos or using RealTree Hardwoods since i have some of that?

Post subject: Re: Anyone use non-camo Canvas Field coats in Tan/Olive/Brow
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:44 pm 
Limited Edition

If it's not raining or much below freezing I'm almost always wearing a beat up Carhartt jacket with a hood , olive green . And a dark brown cap . If it's wet or really cold it's all camo but not because it absolutely needs to be .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:47 am 
Crown Grade

Used camo hunting clothing since 1980.
Before that, tan canvas for hunting.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

The Filson is great stuff and if you go that route you will like it. I am a big fan of their products and they last forever. If anything you need to get the hat with the ear flaps, they are what I use and they are well worth the cost.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:58 pm 
Crown Grade

I’ve always used tan for waterfowl hunting. It’s more important to sit still than anything else. I use cattails, cornstalks, willow switches and reeds, so the tan blends in anyway. I’ve had ducks land in my spread while I was standing outside my blind so I guess it works.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:56 pm 
Limited Edition

Got a bunch of almost every camo, yet I have shot more ducks and geese in my Carhardt Artics that are 25 years old than anything.

Sitting still is definitely key.

My nephew sits in his flannel a lot of the time, which might be borderline somewhat natural vegetation color, maybe. And still gets his.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:50 am 
Limited Edition

I hunt primarily barley stubble and nothing is better than faded cotton duck. All the camo patterns are too dark.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:05 am 
Field Grade

My tan/brown solid jacket blends in better in the corn fields than all this bs camo... it's mainly all about movement that's the key, be still and they'll come in. OD green in great for near the water for ducks.

"Stand up Chuck, let 'em see ya!" – Jackass Biden, to Missouri state Sen. Chuck Graham, who is in a wheelchair. Columbia, MO (9/12/08)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:01 am 
Diamond Grade

I think modern camo absolutely does hide you better. More importantly modern materials are better at keeping you warm and dry.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:11 am 
Presentation Grade

Marketing has a way of convincing most hunters not to hide in or with the natural vegetation
that's around them ? With a face being the first thing waterfowl spot , a mask would be a better
option than a camo jacket that doesn't match the surroundings ! Earth tones are best , you know
the one with mud all over it !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:31 am 
Crown Grade

southdakbearfan wrote:
Got a bunch of almost every camo, yet I have shot more ducks and geese in my Carhardt Artics that are 25 years old than anything.

Sitting still is definitely key.

My nephew sits in his flannel a lot of the time, which might be borderline somewhat natural vegetation color, maybe. And still gets his.

No question. I think, more than what you have on or don`t have on, that`s the key when hunting anything in which you`re in one place. Well, within reason of course. I wouldn`t wear gaudy colors out in the middle of a dove field.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

I like a tan canvas light jacket for dove and quail hunting out in Arizona. I shopped for one last week at Cabela's and Bass Pro, neither of them had anything that wasn't camo. All their Upland field coats at all sorts of Hunter orange on them. The Carhartts would be decent except they're all made for cold weather and that doesn't work in the 70 to 100 degree temperatures in Phoenix. I ended up buying a thick canvas shirt from Bass Pro in their redhead line, which had a bunch of pockets. The thickness made it similar to a jacket and I got a extra large one that would be usable as a jacket. But I really want is one of those Filson waxed cotton old coats from the 50s or 60s.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:16 pm 
Utility Grade

Movement alerts more wildlife to danger more so than anything else. I would try what you have first, you may find no purchase is necessary.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've shot a lot of ducks and geese in my tan waxed cotton Barbour Jacket! Had the same one for 27 years!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have shot the mess out of ducks in a "brown" Filson jacket for years. It has been too hot to wear a jacket for the last couple duck seasons here. Then, now that the season is over, BOOM, snow and ice everywhere. Go figure.

(These are my dogs, not shotguns) :)

NSCA # 517xxx (since 9/7/94)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:38 am 
Limited Edition

Have worn a dark gray jacket in standing timber and my buddies said I blended in really well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

Used a tan canvas field coat for years. Happy with it.