ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington versamax sportsman
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:14 pm 
Utility Grade

I’m looking at muller choke tubes for long range waterfowl pass shooting just wondering if anybody has any data/ experience with this gun-choke combination. 129$ is steep for a choke but maybe it’s worth it?!

Post subject: Re: Remington versamax sportsman
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:27 pm 
Crown Grade

That is not necessary!
There are many good Waterfowl dedicated chokes by other makers that are no where near that expensive. I don't know anything about Muller chokes for waterfowl but do know that Trulock, Carlson make what you need for about $50 each. I would go on Trulock website and if you know what loads you will be using ask them directly for their input.

Actually, your factory Full choke will probably do everything you need. Have you tested them on a pattern board with the shells you will be using? Contrary to marketing hype, IMO there is nothing magical about the construction of choke tube dimensions. Trulock sells a 2 Pack for Waterfowl specific application for $70! Good luck!

https://trulockchokes.com/waterfowl_hunting/

https://trulockchokes.com/?target=choke ... 5B64%5D=64

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:31 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ditto on the Trulocks. Top quality chokes at a reasonable price.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:12 am 
Presentation Grade

My factory IM tube produces lethal 40-60 yard patterns and if it weren’t for the archaic photo system here, would post them for you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:07 am 
Field Grade

lossking wrote:
Ditto on the Trulocks. Top quality chokes at a reasonable price.

Absolutely!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:49 pm 
Limited Edition

Genetime wrote:
I’m looking at muller choke tubes for long range waterfowl pass shooting just wondering if anybody has any data/ experience with this gun-choke combination. 129$ is steep for a choke but maybe it’s worth it?!

"long range waterfowl pass shooting" sounds a lot like sky busting. Low percentage shooting that leads to cripples and shows little respect for the game you are shooting at. My first suggestion would be to work on getting the birds in range. You don't need $129 chokes to shoot birds in range.