ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Boss Ammo
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

Not even close with that velocity ? We are talking energy on impact , shot density always wins
unless Steel is going faster (1550 fps) !

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

Update - This was our opening weekend and I used my new Boss #3s. I will say this, cripples were dramatically reduced and I liked it a lot. I brought a back up gun with steel for cripple shots and I will just say, I didn't need it after using my bismuth.

While not cheap, I do agree the lack of follow up shots really doesn't make it any more expensive than steel. My thoughts and take that for what you paid for them. :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

Shooting Bismuth , at least the 6% tin alloy kind is just that , it's heavier than Steel shot at
7.8 g/cc ! With weight in motion and velocity producing energy steel shot needs velocity to
even come close to penetrating like Bismuth . Whether copper coating Bismuth is a advantage ?
The proof will be in the field but since it weighs the same as regular 6% bismuth and it's shot
at about the same speed , being prettier doesn't mean it's better !
I do like Bismuth for that little extra energy it does deliver to the target !

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:40 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Ravenanme wrote:
Shooting Bismuth , at least the 6% tin alloy kind is just that , it's heavier than Steel shot

A pound of bismuth, a pound of lead, a pound of steel, a pound of denatured uranium, and a pound of feathers all weigh the same.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:37 am 
Presentation Grade

You're right Randy , but , with steel having more pellets than all the others , in a pound ,
that's the only advantage it has ? When you push a steel shot pellet 150 fps faster than Bismuth
and increase its size by two , you get a little to the same performance in the field as Bismuth !
At least that's what I have experienced .
There's no reason to add to Bosses Bismuth any more than , It's prettier , than regular 6%
Bismuth ? Does it provide any more ballistic abilities or advantages , NO ! Does it cost more , yes ,
because it's not sold as a component for reloaders so far .

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:34 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Ravenanme wrote:
because it's not sold as a component for reloaders so far .

I believe it is . . . call BOSS.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:21 pm 
Utility Grade

My experience with Boss shells has been good so far. The two outings duck and goose hunting with my A-5 20 gauge mag, fixed mod choke and #3/5 blend dropped ducks and geese without crippling at 30 plus yards. I normally like to shoot over decoys, but the geese and ducks had other plans.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

I had my first bad experience today with Boss. I took my Ithaca Waterfowl to my blind and the Boss would not eject out of my barrel. I had to take the barrel off and use a stick from a tree to get it to come out it was in so tight. This happened twice, so I pulled out my Drylok and Nitro shells and the gun worked flawlessly. I had the same issue with Hevi a few years ago but nothing since on any other brands.

Anyone else have this issue? I am a little concerned as I just bought two boxes of 16 gauge to use on an old 37 and I hope it works. If not, that is $60 down the toilet.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

Cheddite hulls can do strange things in some Ithacas. Is the Waterfowl Ohio made?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

ohio mike wrote:
Cheddite hulls can do strange things in some Ithacas. Is the Waterfowl Ohio made?

Yes, my 12 gauge is and not that old. The 16 gauge is Ithaca, NY version from the late 50s/early 60s.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:05 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I've used BOSS bismuth in the Fabarm L4S Hunter with no issues. I've used Kent Bismuth (Cheddite hulls) in three different XLR5 hunting models with no shotgun functional issues, other than Kent making very poor patterning bismuth loads.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:39 am 
Presentation Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
I've used BOSS bismuth in the Fabarm L4S Hunter with no issues. I've used Kent Bismuth (Cheddite hulls) in three different XLR5 hunting models with no shotgun functional issues, other than Kent making very poor patterning bismuth loads.

Most know , it's not the load but the gun/choke combo that makes poor patterns .
Comparing a tapered bore gun to a gun with a over-bored bore certainly would
show Kents to be just as good as Boss bismuth , right ?
My Bismuth reloads work really well for that little extra density bismuth offers
over Steel shot and with the powders and wads I already have for clay targets ,
my Fixed choked guns shoot it just fine !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:06 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Ravenanme wrote:
Comparing a tapered bore gun to a gun with a over-bored bore certainly would
show Kents to be just as good as Boss bismuth , right ?

No. The problem was that most of the Kent Bismuth shot never so much as ever came out of the wad. The wad alone (with bismuth embedded into it) blew clean through fresh plywood at 40 yards.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:39 am 
Presentation Grade

Apparently those tapered bore guns you were shooting didn't like Bismuth as much as
my over-bored guns ? Maybe going from .740 down to .725 and then any more constriction
was to much radial pressure for a full 1 1/4 oz of bismuth , especially Buffered !
I read where Famarms doesn't recommend steel shot larger than 4 's or that was as big
a pellet tested ? Quite limiting , if you ask me !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:31 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Ravenanme wrote:
Apparently those tapered bore guns you were shooting didn't like Bismuth as much as
my over-bored guns ? Maybe going from .740 down to .725 and then any more constriction
was to much radial pressure for a full 1 1/4 oz of bismuth , especially Buffered !
I read where Famarms doesn't recommend steel shot larger than 4 's or that was as big

What are you talking about? :roll: :roll: :roll: I'm guessing you're not an English or physics professor.

As far as Fabarm, if that's what you are trying to say, you can use ANY factory steel load in all factory chokes including their "Full" 7/10 and "Extra-Full" 9/10.

It isn't BOSS ammo or Boss Bismuth that gave me grief in anything, just Kent.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:52 am 
Presentation Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Ravenanme wrote:

What are you talking about? :roll: :roll: :roll: I'm guessing you're not an English or physics professor.

As far as Fabarm, if that's what you are trying to say, you can use ANY factory steel load in all factory chokes including their "Full" 7/10 and "Extra-Full" 9/10.

It isn't BOSS ammo or Boss Bismuth that gave me grief in anything, just Kent.

Haha As you can see ,that was a positive statement !
I would believe shooting larger steel shot sizes through a constriction like 7/10 or 9/10
wouldn't produce the patterns needed for down-range success in a bore (.725) like a
Fabarms .
But , I do like my XLR5 for clay targets !

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:51 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Ravenanme wrote:
I would believe shooting larger steel shot sizes through a constriction like 7/10 or 9/10
wouldn't produce the patterns needed for down-range success in a bore (.725) like a
Fabarms .

You're confused. All you have to do is pattern, and then you'll know. Fabarm barrels are overbored barrels, not the .725 you invented.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Ravenanme wrote:
Fabarms .

You're confused. All you have to do is pattern, and then you'll know. Fabarm barrels are overbored barrels, not the .725 you invented.

NOT mine , it's a Tri-bore barrel starting at the exit of the Forcing -cone at .740 and stepping down to .725 at the entrance to the choke tube ! With the 5 choke constrictions down to 9/10 , I assume (with my barrel reader) to be .740 ? It shoots Lead really well
but , Steel Shot not so good !