ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shoot the residents
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:06 pm 
Crown Grade

Early Season for WI geese starts on Tuesday the 1st, and continues till the 15th if I recall right. Early teal season is the 1st till the 9th. I don't generally hunt teal early season, I kinda like watching them, but if they come into the half a dozen goose floaters and pair of mallard confidence decoys, then I might take one or two blue wings. Maybe.

It seems the trick to getting early season resident geese around here is to hunt the golf courses. But, the next best thing is what I got- a marsh. The geese usually only come in numbers when it hasn't rained in a while and they need to drink. Luckily we are having a dry spell. Might rain opening day, but dry after that.

So, anybody got any tips for early local geese? Where do you find birds other than the golf courses?

Post subject: Re: Shoot the residents
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:54 pm 
Crown Grade

I'm wondering the same thing. I see them most anywhere there is good grass, especially young tender new grass. They hang out in ponds, especially around resorts where they are not wanted. I believe that is where most of them roost. The trick must be to find where they are going & if you can't hunt there, find the flyway & bushwhack them in route. I think it comes down to doing a lot of scouting. I have never hunted early teal either. I have always been a fan of putting a couple of geese in a duck spread. Not for geese so much but because they are big & attract attention. Also, at least in part because they act as a confidence decoy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:00 pm 
Presentation Grade

Here they are after freshly chopped corn fields or harvested Sweet Potato fields , the interesting
part is , they fly right over my house all 150 plus of them . I get to hear them coming and by the
time I'm outside I can see them lock their wings for the landing . Don't get me wrong , the first
days shoot with the 10 bird limit , we are out of the field by 10:30 . The next few days of our 5
day season can be tough to limit out but with New Birds joining our Park Birds , we usually do well !

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:19 pm 
Presentation Grade

Wheat stubble, new seeding alfalfa, chopped corn fields, pastures, sand and gravel bars, ponds, and wetlands. You can shoot em in the the fields where they feed and on the spots where they day roost or loaf in the daytime. Just don't shoot the roost at the crack of dawn or in the evening.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:54 am 
Crown Grade

Went goose hunting this morning and saw geese, but they were not coming anywhere near me. So I shot a limit of bluewing teal instead.

Got out and set up 40 minutes to surmise. Goose starts at quarter to six, teal opens at six fifteen. Before teal opened at sunrise I had the teal pass over the half a dozen goose block several times. There were at least two flocks. They kept circling the decoys every ten minutes only to fly off. Might have been the same flock of about a dozen birds the kept coming by, I don't know.

At two minutes after open the teal came by again. I took two shots and dropped two when the 28ga. double barked, maybe a fifteen yard shot. Funny thing about a gun when it's loaded with bismuth- instead of the usual report, "Bang!, Bang!" It goes "Buck seventy-five! Buck seventy-five!" Next flock about an hour later I took one out past the spread, maybe 35yards. I didn't try to get two that pass, pretty far, probably shouldn't have shot at the one, but it was expired by the time I paddled out to fetch it.

At about 8am I called a flock of eight over that was passing on the other side of the marsh. They must have been tired or something because they made a turn and headed in. They tried to land right in between me and the decoys, coming in low from my right side. Pulled he trigger and three birds dropped! Not what I wanted, but I cleaned up one cripple and paddled out with half a smile because I got a fine meal, and half a frown because the hunt was over.

Now, where the heck are the geese? My smoker has been sitting idle too long.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:48 pm 
Utility Grade

They are a greenskeepers worst nightmare. At our golf club, they literally destroy the green complexes and tee boxes. I think that the club has requested permits to try and deal with the problem but the people in the adjoining communities will have a FIT if anyone messes with the geese.
It's really fair IMO for you not to be able to protect a very costly investment from their damage.