ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Old gold
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a old 12 ga gold that cycles slow in the winter no matter how clean or what kind of oil I use or don't use. Is the sure cycle kit worth the money?

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature-have clearly been seen, being understood from what has been made , so that men are without excuse. Romans 1:20
Design demands a designer.

Post subject: Re: Old gold
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

You can call J&P Springs and have them send you the kit ( Stock spring , firing pin and spring
along with the Hammer spring ) that oughta do it , easy maintenance job !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:52 pm 
Limited Edition

I second on the stock spring. I use to have a Gold that got so slow i would have to force the bolt closed when i was out below about 35. Even on a sparkling clean gun. Also I would check your gas valve for any cracks/issues.

The new spring helped but I moved on to a 3 1/2" citori and picked up a SX2 which is the same basic internals as the browning gold. I have never had any issues with the SX2 after changing the stock spring.

Keep it clean with light lube. It's amazing how much crap can migrate into the recoil spring in the stock. Oil, weeds, etc. I have found it all in there when hunting marshes or tall grass.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks. I figured the recoil spring might be tired. Just curious about the sure cycle.

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature-have clearly been seen, being understood from what has been made , so that men are without excuse. Romans 1:20
Design demands a designer.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

What loads are you shooting. My Gold 10ga started cycling slow right before the recoil buffer exploded.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:03 pm 
Crown Grade

Have you pulled the recoil/action spring and cleaned that and it's tube? That is a common symptom of that part getting bound up by debris and residue, especially if the original factory grease was not removed. I spray it down good with non-chlorinated brake/carb cleaner followed with a wire brush and then flushed out with more cleaner. If the interior looks to still be rough I'll chuck the brush and rod on a drill to work over the inside. If that doesn't do it, then add steel wool to the brush and continue with the brush and drill. After it is clean, I'll run a patch lubed with CLP, 0w20 synthetic motor oil, or other light oil to protect the metal. I'll also lube the spring with the same product.

Before replacing the spring, I might try to stretch it a little to add a little more tension if it's not my gun and I am trying to correct a problem in the field but for myself I generally replace the spring if it is to that point. I have found poor cycling to be more a lube/cleaning issue than spring. One time I found the problem to be ammo related but that was only one time.