ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Planing the Bottom to Shape
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:15 am 
Crown Grade

Planing the edge of the bottom into place is pretty self explanatory. The only tips I have to give are that since you are planing on a slight curve with a flat plane, the grain will tend to catch in one direction while it will cut smoothly in the opposite direction. Also watch out for screw heads the you might have left sticking out of the chine sides.- if your plane goes right through the screw heads, that WAS a sharp plane but not anymore.

The goal is to get the bottom to match the flare in the sides. Try not to cut into the outside ply in the sides. You might think it would go faster with a belt sander, but it does not.

In God We Trust.

Post subject: Building The Model F Special
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:42 pm 
Crown Grade

After the bottom is all planed into place it's time to instal a 1x2 keel down the center from stem to transom, and two 5/8" X 1-1/2" ten foot long runners, one each 6" off center of keel.

The tricky part here is holding the peices in place on the bottom while screwing in through the floor from underneath. Some people use weights to hold it down, or one of their kids, but I'm adverse to heavy lifting and I have no offspring.

So the way I do it is to lay out the keel and runner placement on the bottom, through screw the peices on through the peice into the bottom with a #6 2" drywall screw just to temporarily clamp it down to the rocker, and take the #6 out one at a time while replacing them with a 3/4" #8 screw through the floor in the now easily found hole through the whole thing. I like to put a dab of Tightbond III on the #8 going back into the hole in the floor, then go back up and cork the opposite hole with a dab.

Run your keel long of the hull and put a 2" screw through the keel into transom frame and stem. Then cut the keel to length. If you cut it first you risk splitting it from the screws which go right into the ends.

Then you need to flip the hull and put in some braces from chine to chine to stiffen up the floor. . I used four peices of 5/8"-1-1/2" from chine to chine and screwed into the keel and runners with 1-1/4 #6 screws. I should have probably used six 5/8" thick braces but I only used four and the floor flexes more than I like.

In God We Trust.

Post subject: Building The Model F Special
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:38 pm 
Crown Grade

Now the hull is esentially completed, but you will need some kind of seat, which is where The Model F Special hull number one falls short.

I built my seat by placing a 12" wide by six inch high peice of styrofoam from chine to chine against the back of the frame, then put a sick of 1x2 up the side and supported by the chine to hold another 1x2 brace with gussets behind the foam. Plywood sweet over the two 1x2 on edge. Problem is the seat is two far forward. If I put the seat where it belongs, about 18" back of the frame, it would be right on top of the side butt joints. Not ideal.

For the next one I might run three 1x2 running up each side with two aft of the side butt joint and one forward of the joint, then run a riser along three of them and the frame on each side to hold a seat. That should strengthen it up some and keep that joint tight enough. It might be a bit heavier than what I did. On the #1 hull I was trying to keep it light, but it just isn't as good as it could have been.

Keep in mind that whatever kind of seat you use you will need to brace the sides from pulling apart, either by tying the middle of the frame together, or you could add a couple more frames with gussets, or you could deck the top layout boat style. The cornerstone of seaworthiness is that the boat doesn't come apart.

In God We Trust.

Post subject: Re: Build a duck boat for a $ea-note?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:49 am 
Crown Grade

Auldthymer wrote:
oldthompson wrote:
Yeah, that was a weak attempt at a pun on my part Auldthymer.

Thanks.

Good on ya. My apologies. I like it a lot. Honestly, it was too good to be believable. The best kind of pun. My wife never ceases to amaze me.

Tell Cindy I said "Hi".

In God We Trust.