ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Build a duck boat for a $ea-note?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:46 pm 
Crown Grade

To answer your question, the Bartender was designed by George Calkins to navigate the treacherous inlets of the Pacific Northwest & be a fast off shore fishing boat. The first Bartender was 22' & Calkins preference was an inboard with a straight drive but it could also be powered with an outboard in a motor well. It was a double ended boat to prevent broaching. They are still being made & plans were/are available for 19', 22', 26' & a thirty some foot model. All but the biggest can be powered with an outboard . The US Coastguard once used it as a rescue boat.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:34 am 
Crown Grade

See?

pink, That'll have to change, I'm going to mix some green in with the pink floor paint and hopefully get a light brown.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:01 am 
Crown Grade

Wow! I thought you were a novice. You didn't tell us you were a professional boat builder! I am thinking of building "Spira International's" 14' Carolina Dory so I don't have to haul my hunting boat to the site in another boat. It is too far to paddle & my semi V, 15' fishing boat doesn't pole through the marsh very well. The dory is flat bottomed, has a relatively narrow beam & should pole through the marsh fine. I don't know when or if that will happen as I have a ton on my plate already.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:48 pm 
Crown Grade

Lol, no professional here.Thanks Geometric.

Here is a design you might consider- http://www.unclejohns.com/bysk14/

Probably a lot lighter built than a Carolina dory. Should pole even easier.

Looks a lot like a scaled up version of what I built. Mine is 11'-9" LOA and 40" beam, 32" on the bottom. I got that paint a pretty tan so I think I just finished the final coat- will try to post a better photo of it floating. This site is practically impossible to post pictures on.

ETA, that link above has a link to the plans but without the dimensions. They will sell you the dimensions, for like $35. No reason you couldn't make up your own dimensions, like I said earlier these little flat bottom skiffs are all built pretty much the same. They are almost stupid simple.

Last edited by oldthompson on Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:54 pm 
Crown Grade

That’s a handy duck boat! Nice job!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:38 pm 
Crown Grade

Thanks EricB.

Looking at those Bayou Skiff plans that I linked, they don't use chine logs, just fiberglass. Here this other guy makes the same mistake in the simplest boat ever desingned, The One Sheet Skiff.

https://www.duckworksmagazine.com/08/pr ... /index.htm

Chine logs are easy as pie in a one frame boat. Just fit one end at a time marking the frame location each time on your 1x2 chine peice. The distance between the frame marks is how much needs to be removed from the peice to fit it. Can't cut it out of the middle, just gotta duplicate the fit just made on one end a bit further down the stick. The stern angle cut is usually less tricky than the bow end, so I always cut my chines to length at the stern. Don't even screw around with a number on a tape measure, just mark a stick and use that. Who cares what the number is?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:30 pm 
Crown Grade

You’ve got me thinkIng about building now. I lack a place to hunt ducks though, so it might be premature.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:43 pm 
Crown Grade

I agree, once you have the basic lines, you can scale it up or down but if there is a way to make a mistake, I will usually find it. The plans don't cost much & somebody has already made the mistakes & fixed them. The Carolina Dory is designed to be built with regular construction grade plywood & covered with epoxy glass.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:09 pm 
Crown Grade

oldthompson wrote:
See?

pink, That'll have to change, I'm going to mix some green in with the pink floor paint and hopefully get a light brown.

Nice little boat. I’ve built a small flat bottom duck skiff from marine plywood and it was a fun project. Still have it some 20 years later. If you really want it to last, glass it and epoxy it but that will double your cost. I did that to mine. I put a 4 horse Johnson weedless on it and with the dead flat bottom it goes in pretty shallow. I’m think of converting it to a one man plus dog layout boat instead of a two seater. They would never see me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:09 pm 
Crown Grade

Epoxy is great stuff, but softwood plywood will check even if it is coated and no cloth is used. Gotta use cloth. Both sides. It doesn't just double the cost, it doubles the building time at least. Plus you gotta pick up a sander with epoxy. This boat I just built has, um...

...character?

I don't know what you call it, but I never picked up the sand paper. There is a lot of PL Premium corking this thing. When I glue my butt blocks for the sides I don't glue the seam, just the face. Also I leave the block 1-5/8" short of the the chine because the chine log goes there. The seam opens up real nice as soon as the hull is dry fit. Don't worry about it, just be sure to work some PL adhesive into it with your finger before you paint. Also might need to cork the screw holes left when I pulled the screws out of the butt blocks, and put a bead on the gap between chine log and butt block on the inside. Just cork it up with PL.

It'll still float right side up so long as you don't rely on structural paint. :lol:

Speaking of structural paint, i started using watered down Tightbond III to seal my plywood end grain. I heard about it from Ken Simpson's website. Can't hurt.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:53 pm 
Crown Grade

Neat little boat. I looked at it some time ago. Trouble is I have to travel up to 15 miles one way & cross some open water that can get pretty rough. Yours will probably go through the marsh better but as I am sure you know, there is no perfect boat. They are all a compromise in one way or another. Good luck & good hunting!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:41 pm 
Diamond Grade

Good thread. Nice boat!
You guys may like this, the Hybrid. kinda a home build duck one man boat. Main thread over at refuge forums. I bought the plans, but haven't built yet. I bought one of those Otter beavertail Final Attack layout boats, and have found it to be fantastic, so my build has been put on hold...
https://www.refugeforums.com/threads/hy ... cs.602498/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:49 am 
Crown Grade

OT if you want to make a super light weight skiff I read about a guy that built a wood bottom and skeleton frame and then skinned it with roof flashing. He then put cloth and epoxy over the outside. Weighed 17 lbs.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Amerimax-Ho ... /100071450

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:13 pm 
Crown Grade

Patently Obvious wrote:
OT if you want to make a super light weight skiff I read about a guy that built a wood bottom and skeleton frame and then skinned it with roof flashing. He then put cloth and epoxy over the outside. Weighed 17 lbs.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Amerimax-Ho ... /100071450

Cool idea. That'd be what I call a stunt boat. It wouldn't be suited to where and how I hunt. But luggable boats have there place that's for sure. A while back I read read about some modern packable boats, the kind that roll up and fold. Usually fabric on frame. They had one that was only six pounds if I remember right. It looked like an upside down tent. I wonder if it comes with a life vest....?

I'd be terrified getting into one of them "skin boats". Thats the kind of thing that might void a life insurance policy, not unlike getting into a single engine plane or scuba diving. Anyways, I need a boat I can crash into the catails and beach in the dirt.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:27 pm 
Crown Grade

Dave in AZ wrote:
Good thread. Nice boat!
You guys may like this, the Hybrid. kinda a home build duck one man boat. Main thread over at refuge forums. I bought the plans, but haven't built yet. I bought one of those Otter beavertail Final Attack layout boats, and have found it to be fantastic, so my build has been put on hold...
https://www.refugeforums.com/threads/hy ... cs.602498/

Cool looking boat that Hybird. Must be a nightmare if you gotta padlle though. Probably real stable to shoot out of too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:39 pm 
Crown Grade

See the pointy end? That's for crashing into the cattails. If you look closely you might notice the um, character. Not my best work but this is a work boat. Nobody is going to see it in the cattails anyways. That's the plan. Will water test this weekend. It looks like it will paddle O.K.. Only one way to find out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

I know this will not be appreciated by anyone, but it just seems that the OP might be interested in knowing that a $100 bill is a C-note, not a Sea-note. C as in the Latin for 100, centum. And C for the Roman numeral equal to 100, C. Simple, eh?

My wife suggested that calling it a Sea-note might be a pun considering he is talking about boats, but I said, “Nah, not likely.”

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:47 pm 
Crown Grade

Yeah, that was a weak attempt at a pun on my part Auldthymer.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

oldthompson wrote:
Yeah, that was a weak attempt at a pun on my part Auldthymer.

Thanks.

Good on ya. My apologies. I like it a lot. Honestly, it was too good to be believable. The best kind of pun. My wife never ceases to amaze me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:19 pm 
Crown Grade

All the numbers to build one like it are posted here already. I'll walk you through it step by step if you like. It goes together just like any pirouge or light skiff.

But no more pictures. If you want to make one the first thing you need is a pencil. Heretofore this hull style hull built to these dimensions shall be called The Model F Special. Write that down.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next