ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: lifejackets
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:44 am 
Crown Grade

I have hunted waterfowl some 60 years & never wore one while hunting & never fell out of a duck boat. In those same 60 +/- years, I have would up getting dunked more than a couple times hunting clapper rails, aka; marsh hens. Mom use to say, God looks out for drunks & damn fools. Well, I was never drunk & the water was never too deep to stand up. You just get back in & keep hunting! You are invincible when you are young but I am starting to rethink that a bit in my old age. The doctor told me my wife will likely have to put up with me another 10+ years & I don't want to cut that short so I bought one of those "Shooting Sports" life jackets designed to be worn while you are shooting. Does anybody have one of those? I haven't shot wearing it but the gun seems to mount pretty well. It isn't perfect but it seems that the safety benefits outweigh the negatives. To paraphrase others, I never saw a marsh hen worth dying for! We had a tragedy here recently. Two fishermen drowned less than a mile from the landing when their boat sank in protected water. Neither was wearing a life jacket. I don't either but I'm thinking of starting. I have one of those inflatable life jackets that don't get in the way much, except if you are shooting. They don't know what happened to the boat but the wildlife dept. is investigating!

Post subject: Re: lifejackets
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:52 am 
Crown Grade

Fall out of the boat? My goodness no.

That water is cold!

When I'm crossing a lake or on a river I wear a neoprene ski vest. Sitting in the cattails I take it off. I haven't been swimming in twenty years...

...Not intentionally anyways. :wink:

In God We Trust.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:01 pm 
Crown Grade

This conjures up memories of leaving the launch, Delacroix Island, LA, in the dark, sometimes misty,rain, or foggy, boats everywhere loaded down with duck hunting gear, dogs, hunters, very little freeboard....only by the grace of God!!

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:31 pm 
Crown Grade

Well, nobody intends to fall out of a boat & obviously few intend to drown but when you are poling a pirogue by yourself & shooting at the same time, do-do happens! Not to mention the buggers like to get up & fly behind you which means you have to twist around backwards to shoot! I'm working on a chicken post arrangement to give me something to grab onto. I did go for a 30 year, more or less, stretch without getting wet, even once. Running the motor & shooting is child's play by comparison and not very sportsman like and tends to get expensive if the game warden is around!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:52 pm 
Limited Edition

Having recently taken a fall and dunking at my boat slip let me offer this FWIW. Was wearing an inflatable PFD with manual activation. Never gave thought to it happening with boat moored. Initially thought water was not as cold as I expected here in the Pacific Northwest. Found out that is due to the adrenaline rush, it will get colder soon. Looking back it came to me that if I was knocked unconscious the PFD would not inflate and I would not be writing this. Came out of this with only 5 broken ribs and a lot of flesh lost on one arm. Give serious thought to an auto inflating PFD gentlemen.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:58 pm 
Crown Grade

geometric wrote:
Well, nobody intends to fall out of a boat & obviously few intend to drown but when you are poling a pirogue by yourself & shooting at the same time, do-do happens! Not to mention the buggers like to get up & fly behind you which means you have to twist around backwards to shoot! I'm working on a chicken post arrangement to give me something to grab onto. I did go for a 30 year, more or less, stretch without getting wet, even once. Running the motor & shooting is child's play by comparison and not very sportsman like and tends to get expensive if the game warden is around!

I`ve poled and paddled a few rogues in my time, and what you`ve described sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, my friend! Not sure if what you`re calling a pirogue is the same as ours was in Louisiana, but you can tip one of those over with far less contortions than you`re describing! No way I`d do that without flotation!

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:32 pm 
Crown Grade

Yes, it's the same. I actually lived in New Orleans as a child while Pop went to Tulane after WW II, he was still in the Navy. The Navy sent him there & his best Navy buddy lives in Shreveport. So you know why I bought a Shooting life vest! I never turned it over but it isn't hard to lose your balance shooting a shotgun in the standing position. Actually, it never even took on water, it just ejected me. I still use it but I no longer shoot from it standing up. It is a little under 14'. Some are much smaller. The boat I presently jump shoot birds from while poling in the standing position could be called a Pirogue but I don't think it is in the strictest sense of the word, although I don't think there is a precise definition for one. They were originally dug out from a cypress log. This one is a fiberglass boat that was commercially built. The company builds duck boats. Other than that it is pretty much the same except it is a full 14' long & wider & more stable. I still feel that the prudent mariner would wear a life vest. These guys that pole what they call a flats boat from what I call a "break your a$$ platform" over the motor appear to me to be taking a far greater risk. True, they are not shooting & the pole stabilizes them but you ain't getting me on one of them things. Spottail bass, aka; Redfish are too easy to catch fishing in a john boat! Yea, I've ate more than one helping of Redfish gumbo!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:00 pm 
Crown Grade

The length of the boat makes less difference to me than its beam. Long and narrow is more stable than short and narrow but not as much as making a boat wider will add stability. Most of the pirogue I have built had a frame that was 23-1/2" on the bottom to make a boat with about a 30" beam, maybe a little less. Well if you are 20 years old a 30" beam is fine, in fact desirable, because it paddles easier and slips into the catails easier. But, when you are. 40 years old or so that 30" wide boat will just start looking narrower and narrower with every passing year.

First time I ever tried to shoot out of pirouge I was chasing a crippled mallard through a patch of old flooded timber. Real soft bottom round those stumps. I know because I got broadside to that mallard and tried to finish it while kneeling-up on the hull's floor. I hate swimming and I'm lucky I didn't lose the gun or the bird. Had to climb out on a stump and flip the boat without losing the gun. Got real cold too. I'm not convinced I could do it now days. Like Tidefanatic says- "only by the grace of God".

In God We Trust.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:58 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tidefanatic wrote:
geometric wrote:

I`ve poled and paddled a few rogues in my time, and what you`ve described sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, my friend! Not sure if what you`re calling a pirogue is the same as ours was in Louisiana, but you can tip one of those over with far less contortions than you`re describing! No way I`d do that without flotation!

I flipped a pirogue in a deep Louisiana bayou many years ago while taking a steep overhead shot at a hauling a$$ wood duck. I killed the duck, but wound up in the drink and lost a pretty decent O/U in the process. Had to swim about 30 yards for the bank and made it easily, even wearing a pair of Lacrosse knee boots. Took off the boots and swam back out, got the rogue to shore and righted it. It was only about 40 degrees, but I was thoroughly chilled by the time I paddled back to the truck. Drove home and returned with a powerful magnet on a string, but could not recover the O/U. Not my finest day! Won't do that again and wouldn't even think of standing in a pirogue.

Geo, what is the "Shooting Sports" life jacket that you mentioned?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:17 pm 
Crown Grade

Lossking, "Shooting Sports" is just the name "ORNYX" put on it, assumably to indicate that the shoulders are covered with mesh to allow the mounting of a shotgun. It is actually a type III flotation aid. I got it from "Sportsmans Guide". The only time I ever turned over a pirogue or similar type boat was when I was reaching for my shotgun that fell in the drink. I was in my wider fiberglass model. I made a gun rack that sits in front of me that holds the gun in "ready" above a tray that holds shells. The tray needed more shells so I reached forward for another box of shells. The boat took a list, no big deal except the gun was not placed properly in the rack & it slid out & into the water. The water was shallow & fortunately still warm. I could barely feel the gun leaning over the side but couldn't quite grab it. I leaned just a little more & the center of gravity shifted just enough to capsize the boat! While I was in the water, I recovered the gun & shells but never found my watch & glasses. I righted the boat minus most of the water & climbed back in but it wasn't easy. I continued hunting & finished killing my limit of birds. Actually I think the fiberglass model has lines more like the original pirogue than the one I built. The designer called it a pirogue but it has flared sides like a dory that get wider towards the top, causing stability to increase as the boat lists. A friend built one like mine & claimed he couldn't stand in it because he beveled the junction between the bottom & the sides. However, I don't think he could stand on the deck of an aircraft carrier.
oldthompson, I believe the boating experts will agree with you, in regard to seaworthiness anyway, that the beam is more important than length. Not to mention that boats & ships are sized by their displacement, not by their length. Stupidity of the tax assessor can be either an advantage or a disadvantage!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

geometric wrote:
Lossking, "Shooting Sports" is just the name "ORNYX" put on it, assumably to indicate that the shoulders are covered with mesh to allow the mounting of a shotgun. It is actually a type III flotation aid. I got it from "Sportsmans Guide". The only time I ever turned over a pirogue or similar type boat was when I was reaching for my shotgun that fell in the drink. I was in my wider fiberglass model. I made a gun rack that sits in front of me that holds the gun in "ready" above a tray that holds shells. The tray needed more shells so I reached forward for another box of shells. The boat took a list, no big deal except the gun was not placed properly in the rack & it slid out & into the water. The water was shallow & fortunately still warm. I could barely feel the gun leaning over the side but couldn't quite grab it. I leaned just a little more & the center of gravity shifted just enough to capsize the boat! While I was in the water, I recovered the gun & shells but never found my watch & glasses. I righted the boat minus most of the water & climbed back in but it wasn't easy. I continued hunting & finished killing my limit of birds. Actually I think the fiberglass model has lines more like the original pirogue than the one I built. The designer called it a pirogue but it has flared sides like a dory that get wider towards the top, causing stability to increase as the boat lists. A friend built one like mine & claimed he couldn't stand in it because he beveled the junction between the bottom & the sides. However, I don't think he could stand on the deck of an aircraft carrier.
oldthompson, I believe the boating experts will agree with you, in regard to seaworthiness anyway, that the beam is more important than length. Not to mention that boats & ships are sized by their displacement, not by their length. Stupidity of the tax assessor can be either an advantage or a disadvantage!

:lol: A good description of me. Thanks for the info on the life jackets. I will look into it as I'm getting an itch to launch the old pirogue after woodies again.