ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EMI Hevi-Metal 1-1/4oz BB 3" 12ga. Contents
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:51 pm 
Crown Grade

I cut open one Hevi-Metal 1-1/4oz. size BB because that's all they had left on the shelf for 3" 12ga. goose loads at the local farm and barn. I wanted 3" 1-1/4oz. Steel BB, but they didn't have it so I splurged on the extra ten bucks a box and settled on this stuff-

47 pellets of bismuth with one ten count average weight of 4.35 grains per pellet for a total of 204.5 grains or about 15/32 of an ounce of bismuth size #2 or thereabouts.

48 pellets of 6 grain per pellet steel BB for a total of 288 grains or about 21/32 of steel shot.

The rest is flax seed on top of the bismuth. There is a bit over 1-1/16 ounce shot total. I haven't patterned one yet, not sure what range to pattern it at. When is what pellet going to pass up which?

I wonder at what range the duplex of #2 bismuth and BB steel might be most likely to be effective. :?

Post subject: Re: EMI Hevi-Metal 1-1/4oz BB 3" 12ga. Contents
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

#2 Bismuth is killer Goose Medicine alright and Steel BB's does a fair job by themselves !
The lack of a full load ( 547 grs ) of either would tell me , you're short-changing yourself with
a lesser payload by using those . The idea of steel shot performing best at a higher velocity
comes to mind so as the steel shot slows down ( quicker ) than the higher density Bismuth ,
you can't be gaining anything by Duplexing a load , unless you're shooting them with their
feet down ?
Marketing is good , performance , well not so good ! IMHO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:44 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

oldthompson wrote:
I wonder at what range the duplex of #2 bismuth and BB steel might be most likely to be effective. :?

Are you still hung up on this lousy load? https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 2&t=517500

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:27 pm 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
oldthompson wrote:

Are you still hung up on this lousy load? https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 2&t=517500

Yeah, it's all I could get from the store. Have not patterned yet. Maybe tomorrow.

What's so lousy about it IYO? It's got more pellets than an 1-1/4oz steel BB, so at least it's got that going for it. Have you patterned these? If so please stop holding out on me, will they work or not?