ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: 16 GA. ON WILD PHEASANTS
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I like a hammer gun too; one that really “hammers” those roosters at distance

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

cas,

I take it you are a big Semi-Auto 12 gauge fan!

Pine Creek/Dave
Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Or a 20 ga 3”. Makes me no difference

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Frank Woolner recommended a model 59 win sans the forearm! My two favorite grouse guns were a Browning Superposed lightening 12ga and a Remington 1100 20ga LT.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:52 am 
Presentation Grade

Tukinator,

No doubt about it Woolner was not a traditional type hunter. Many a young Sportsman who read his books followed his advise and used the Semi-Auto guns to bird hunt. I had an 1100 Rem that I used for Duck hunting and some Pheasant hunting in Lancaster County, Pa for a few years, my best friend likes the Semi-Auto and pump guns. I gave him a 16 gauge Rem Model 58 for Christmas one year, he loves the old gun for Pheasant hunting. I have been a traditional type bird hunter all my life and stay with the SXS double guns pretty much, for most all my upland hunting. Each to his own.

We do a lot of teasing here in our mountains, about men who use non-traditional guns to Grouse hunt. Just part of our way of life.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:29 pm 
Crown Grade

All my shotguns are & have always been SXS, DT guns with one exception. I don't attempt to tell anybody what to shoot but that is what works for me! I was bitten by the jamomatic bug in high school & bought one. That urge wore off in less than 2 weeks & I sold it. That was the only exception to my SXS shooting history. Is a 16 ga. enough gun for pheasant? Sure, I don't know why anybody would doubt that. I like Randy. He is a good guy & we agree on most things but not all things. I killed my first pheasant with my sxs .410 in the late 50's in Wash. state. I also killed a fair amount of pheasants in California when I was stationed at NAS Lemoore between Vietnam deployments. I also loved to hunt valley quail when I was stationed in NAS Miramar. I had my 20 ga. Elsie in Miramar, I had a Bernardelli when hunting pheasant in Lemoore, both 2 3/4 chambered 20 ga. guns. More recently, I have been hunting in N. Dakota. I think a lot depends on the type of shooting you are getting & how you are using your chosen weapon. Yes, there were days in N.D. I was glad I had a full choked 12 ga. but I never felt undergunned with a 2 3/4" 20. I don't doubt the 3" 20 can be effective & put to good use. Two of my 4, 20 ga. SXS's have 3" chambers. The newest has never fired a 3" shell. My old Stevens was bored to 3" & I shot about half a dozen 3" shells through it back in the 80's but haven't had any desire to shoot any since then. My 20 ga. load is primarily 7/8 oz., which has taken plenty of ducks before the steel shot era. Two guns I always wanted & will probably never own are a SXS 16GA. & a SXS 28ga.. Who says you can't load a magnum 16 ga. shell? You can but I have no idea why anybody would want to! The shooting & handling qualities of a gun encompass far more than just the amount of lead coming out of the bore.

'

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:44 am 
Limited Edition

I don't get to hunt wild pheasant as much as I would like, but when I do, I am carrying a 16 gauge shooting 1-1/8 ounces of nickel plated shot. I don't even own a 12 gauge upland gun anymore. I also don't use 3-1/2" loads for waterfowl, even though some people swear by them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

stubblejumper wrote:
I also don't use 3-1/2" loads for waterfowl, even though some people swear by them.

Same here, I will never use 3 1/2", not even for turkey.

"shoot what ya like, like what ya shoot".....it's that simple!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

When I was growing up in Ohio in the 60’s, I went hunting with my great uncle and my father. My great uncle would use either a 16 ga s/s or a Winchester Model 12 20 ga, my father used a Browning Auto 5 12 ga and I would use a Mossberg bolt action 20 ga. We would all fill our limit of pheasants.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:08 pm 
Crown Grade

When I was a kid and hunted wild pheasants, the only gun I had was a 16 gauge with a fixed modified choke. I used that for everything I hunted from rabbits to geese.

For pheasants I always used 1 1/4 oz loads of #5 shot. I don't think anyone makes 1 1/4 oz 16 gauge loads anymore. That's a shame.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:33 am 
Crown Grade

#5 was always my favorite shot size for pheasants, ducks, etc. Hard to find now.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

Halwag

Got to admit I used a lot of 1 1/4, 16 gauge shells also, they were definitely good shells. Now with the new RST & Poly SpredR's I order them from Lion County by the case, and get free shipping right to my door in the back woods of Potter/Tioga, Pa. You just can't beat that for a 16 gauge shell.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

16 gauge L.C. Smith Hammer Gun for Grouse & Woodcock hunting, the SpredR shells work great in the old guns.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:49 pm 
Crown Grade

I reload everything. PolySpredr's open things up more than Pc Post wads. The PC Post wads have been good for the amount of spread I was looking for in the past. I do shoot 3.5" guns but not in 12 ga. & I don't shoot steel. I can't shoot my vintage L.C. Smith 10 ga. on a state draw hunt with 1 1/4 oz. of bismuth but it is legal to shoot a 3.5" 12 ga. with whatever can be crammed in those things! The Elsie is a great duck gun & has 2 7/8" chambers. My 3.5" 10's are mostly used for geese but they are also great duck guns with the lighter loadings (two Berettas & a Ugartechia). The Ugy is light for a 10 so 1 5/8 oz is the heaviest load I generally shoot in it. I have killed deer with buckshot in the 10 but no longer have that gun but did kill a turkey with one of the Berettas. Actually, I shoot my 20's more than my bigger guns. 5 are Elsies & I have a Merkel SLE in 2 3/4" 12 ga.. That has been my pheasant gun lately. I shoot Hevi Shot in a DeHann SO & so far it is holding up fine.
Speaking of "Lion Country", if anybody hasn't read their articles on double guns, they are really worth reading. I think they are still on their web site. I would love to go on one of their bird hunts. There was a guy from California that was known as, "The L.C. Smith Man". I hope he is still with us. I am not sure but I want to say Walt Schiessl was his name. Seems nobody has heard from him in recent years. He sold & dealt in LC Smith shotguns.
Oh yea! The 16 ga.,I don't need any more guns but I really want a 16 ga. SXS but first I have to save some money! Good luck everybody!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As I stated earlier, if you can find a Philadelphia Fox graded 16, then you will have found the Holy Grail

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

geometric,

My good friend Walt Scheissl (L.C. Smith Man) passed way this last year. He ask me to use his L.C. Smith Man moniker to keep it alive, I am doing so, in his memory.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

removed double post

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Tue May 05, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

cas,

My good friend and hunting partner has a real nice 16 gauge Fox gun, I have to admit for a Box Lock double gun they do not get any better!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Ken Grafts Holy Grail Fox 16 gauge double gun. One serious Grouse gun.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:17 am 
Limited Edition

870-LEFTY wrote:
Anyone use the 16ga. on wild pheasants in places like S.D., N.D., Kansas? If so, what loads & chokes do you use, especially in an O/U or SxS? Is it enough gun or is a 12ga. better?

We lived in Salina back in the mid 60's.
My brother used a Stevens Savage 94C in 16 ga.
Full choke.
I think he just used whatever Dad would get.
He's not too picky, but that gun still does ok by him.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by DeanMk on Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:26 pm 
Field Grade

Got to hunt Kansas (Pretty Prairie) 4 years straight back in the mid-90's. Used an A-5 Sweet-16 with a Mod choke loaded with copper plated 7 1/2's. Tumble those rooster a$$ over T-cup out to 40 yds without any trouble and were still great for not tearing up the Bobs at closer ranges. The 16ga. is a mighty fine gauge in my opinion. Was in my mid-30's and a AA skeet shooter at the time, if you put the pattern on target it don't matter what the pattern comes out of, be it 10ga. to .410!!! 1cas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:57 am 
Presentation Grade

geometric,

Save your money buddy, and purchase an early pre 13 L.C. Smith 16 gauge double gun. You can usually pick up a double 0 gun for reasonable money. GI usually has a least one listed all the time. I highly recommend the high grade L.C. Smith double guns, especially the pre 1913 stuff. Got to tell ya you really have not had a fine Grouse Gun until you have owned a nice pre 13, 16 gauge L.C. Smith, most times for around $2,200 and up. For around $1000.00 - $1,500 you can own a serious post 13 classic American 16 gauge L.C. Smith with great balance, that swings well and handles just fantastically in the woods or fields.

Pictured below - There is a 1931 Field Grade 16 gauge L.C. Smith on GI right now for $1,250. Gun looks to be in very good shape, seller in Pa. Real nice gun for the money.

Carlson out of Alabama has a nice 1941 Field Grade listed on GI also $1050.00 gun is in real good shape.

I just picked up another pre 13, 20 gauge myself. I love both the 16 and 20 gauge guns. Use the RST or Poly SpredR shells in the old guns they make great bird killing patterns.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pre 13 L.C. Smith 20 gauge.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next