ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 16 GA. ON WILD PHEASANTS
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I like a hammer gun too; one that really “hammers” those roosters at distance

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

cas,

I take it you are a big Semi-Auto 12 gauge fan!

Pine Creek/Dave
Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Or a 20 ga 3”. Makes me no difference

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Frank Woolner recommended a model 59 win sans the forearm! My two favorite grouse guns were a Browning Superposed lightening 12ga and a Remington 1100 20ga LT.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:52 am 
Presentation Grade

Tukinator,

No doubt about it Woolner was not a traditional type hunter. Many a young Sportsman who read his books followed his advise and used the Semi-Auto guns to bird hunt. I had an 1100 Rem that I used for Duck hunting and some Pheasant hunting in Lancaster County, Pa for a few years, my best friend likes the Semi-Auto and pump guns. I gave him a 16 gauge Rem Model 58 for Christmas one year, he loves the old gun for Pheasant hunting. I have been a traditional type bird hunter all my life and stay with the SXS double guns pretty much, for most all my upland hunting. Each to his own.

We do a lot of teasing here in our mountains, about men who use non-traditional guns to Grouse hunt. Just part of our way of life.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:29 pm 
Crown Grade

All my shotguns are & have always been SXS, DT guns with one exception. I don't attempt to tell anybody what to shoot but that is what works for me! I was bitten by the jamomatic bug in high school & bought one. That urge wore off in less than 2 weeks & I sold it. That was the only exception to my SXS shooting history. Is a 16 ga. enough gun for pheasant? Sure, I don't know why anybody would doubt that. I like Randy. He is a good guy & we agree on most things but not all things. I killed my first pheasant with my sxs .410 in the late 50's in Wash. state. I also killed a fair amount of pheasants in California when I was stationed at NAS Lemoore between Vietnam deployments. I also loved to hunt valley quail when I was stationed in NAS Miramar. I had my 20 ga. Elsie in Miramar, I had a Bernardelli when hunting pheasant in Lemoore, both 2 3/4 chambered 20 ga. guns. More recently, I have been hunting in N. Dakota. I think a lot depends on the type of shooting you are getting & how you are using your chosen weapon. Yes, there were days in N.D. I was glad I had a full choked 12 ga. but I never felt undergunned with a 2 3/4" 20. I don't doubt the 3" 20 can be effective & put to good use. Two of my 4, 20 ga. SXS's have 3" chambers. The newest has never fired a 3" shell. My old Stevens was bored to 3" & I shot about half a dozen 3" shells through it back in the 80's but haven't had any desire to shoot any since then. My 20 ga. load is primarily 7/8 oz., which has taken plenty of ducks before the steel shot era. Two guns I always wanted & will probably never own are a SXS 16GA. & a SXS 28ga.. Who says you can't load a magnum 16 ga. shell? You can but I have no idea why anybody would want to! The shooting & handling qualities of a gun encompass far more than just the amount of lead coming out of the bore.

'

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:44 am 
Limited Edition

I don't get to hunt wild pheasant as much as I would like, but when I do, I am carrying a 16 gauge shooting 1-1/8 ounces of nickel plated shot. I don't even own a 12 gauge upland gun anymore. I also don't use 3-1/2" loads for waterfowl, even though some people swear by them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

stubblejumper wrote:
I also don't use 3-1/2" loads for waterfowl, even though some people swear by them.

Same here, I will never use 3 1/2", not even for turkey.

"a man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun"…..Old Moe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

When I was growing up in Ohio in the 60’s, I went hunting with my great uncle and my father. My great uncle would use either a 16 ga s/s or a Winchester Model 12 20 ga, my father used a Browning Auto 5 12 ga and I would use a Mossberg bolt action 20 ga. We would all fill our limit of pheasants.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:08 pm 
Crown Grade

When I was a kid and hunted wild pheasants, the only gun I had was a 16 gauge with a fixed modified choke. I used that for everything I hunted from rabbits to geese.

For pheasants I always used 1 1/4 oz loads of #5 shot. I don't think anyone makes 1 1/4 oz 16 gauge loads anymore. That's a shame.