ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: do you think this bird was dead
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:26 pm 
Limited Edition

Lost a pheasant today I could've swore was dead. When I hit him all bodily function stopped, wings and legs tucked up tight against body and he looked like a football flying through the air until he slammed into the ground. When he hit there was no secondary bounce or rustling grass, everything was dead calm.
I ran over to the spot and could not find him and spent the next hour going back and forth over the area with no luck. Do you think he was dead and I just walked by him(numerous times)or maybe he ran off?

I'm starting to think that I should just not even waste my time going out until it snows since I don't have a dog.

Post subject: Re: do you think this bird was dead
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:51 pm 
Crown Grade

50/50

Going to the "spot" is not always accurate....we more often estimate short rather than long in many covers.
And, pheasants scamper despite apparent bodily function cessation.

Dogless is ok, just runs a different set of requirements.
Still, tough to best a dog as a buddy.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:16 pm 
Crown Grade

From your description, sure sounds dead in the air to me. If I were to wager, I`d bet that somehow you just missed him in your search. In certain types of cover, while we all should strive for a clean kill, for recovery it`s sometimes better if they move. Dogs are so valuable in just about all types of upland hunting.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:30 am 
Crown Grade

I don’t think that is all that unusual with pheasants. I have had them fall like a rock and never find them even with a good dog. That is disgusting. Pheasants are a tough bird and they are escape artist as well as experts at hiding. That is why I use enough gun and practice on clays.

Anyone that has hunted them much has had some strange experiences with them. One time I put one that was stone dead in my son’s vest later it got out and flew off.

Every season I find dead pheasants that got away from someone. When my dog was young I shot at a pheasant, and plainly missed it, and watched it fly out of sight. The dog had a lot of confidence in my shooting, and took off to retrieve when I shot. She came back with a cold, dead, stiff pheasant that someone had shot and lost. I didn’t have the heart to drop it as she was so proud of her recovery. I carried it for awhile and discarded it when she was distracted.

Hunt on. Don’t be discouraged. A dog is a great partner, but not an absolute necessity. There have been times when I couldn’t have one, but that didn’t keep me from hunting.