ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Argentina Doves
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:47 am 
Diamond Grade

I will be accompanying a friend to Argentina this fall for a
“Free” trip he won. As you can imagine there is no such thing as a free lunch, and the fees for items that are not included are beginning to add up. To continue to budget for the trip, I am curious to ask those of you have been on an Argentina dove hunt, how many shells one might average a day per person? We will be charged for our shells and would like to have a cost range. Any other pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Argentina Doves
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:16 am 
Tournament Grade

If you aren't going to severely limit your shooting, figure an average of at least 1,000 - 1,500 shells per day. It's easy to shoot upwards of 2,000+ shells per day if you want.

Don't forget gun rental and tips for the bird boys and lodge staff. Figure $65/day and $100 to $125/day respectively.

Take a slip-on recoil pad and/or one of the shoulder pads and at least two pair of well-fitting shooting gloves like the Bob Allen gloves.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 10:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yeah, I went 8 flats per day @ $12/ per box of shells. It’s probably higher now. That’s where the outfitter makes the money

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

Post subject: Argentina Doves
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

Had to pay permit fees and some pretty steep landowner fees also.
Thanks guys, this free trip is getting expensive!!
Only good thing is airlines prices are down a bit.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 2:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

Landowner fee? They making you pay for their leases? Which lodge?

You will have a blast (no pun intended). You will find the three or four days of hunting feels like a week with two big hunts a day. I'm jealous. Our group was going back to Bolivia this year, but f-ing COPA cancelled flights over three months in advance, so we just rescheduled for next year. Might hit Nicaragua in August if we get some good reports from groups going their in June and July. But neither have the sheer volume of birds of Argentina!

Pack light (carry-on if possible). They will do laundry for you, saves having to worry about luggage.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 4:57 pm 
Diamond Grade

Yes. paying their leases it seems. Perhaps that is standard. Dunno.
One of the Denies Lodges. This is my first Argentina hunt, so it’s all new to me. Copa cancelled on us also, but we were able to reschedule and it appears LATAM has gone bankrupt also, hopefully that doesn’t monkey wrench things for us. They haven’t cancelled as of yet.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

I think American has flights into Cordoba rather than Buenos Aires available just in case. United has non-stops into BA from Houston as well. Good luck!

Not surprised there are some add-ons. The outfitters have to be sucking for air right now. David Denies is a quality organization.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I flew from Miami to Santiago and then over the Andes into Córdoba

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

Chicago - Panama- Cordoba

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:46 pm 
Crown Grade

trevijazz wrote:
Yes. paying their leases it seems. Perhaps that is standard. Dunno.
One of the Denies Lodges. This is my first Argentina hunt, so it’s all new to me. Copa cancelled on us also, but we were able to reschedule and it appears LATAM has gone bankrupt also, hopefully that doesn’t monkey wrench things for us. They haven’t cancelled as of yet.

Been there 13 times.
Never paid a “lease” fee.
Sounds like additional dealer profit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:58 pm 
Field Grade

I have been 9 times. I have NEVER paid a land owner fee, although to be fair, almost all the properties I hunt are owned by the operator. Denies is a middle man who contracts with operators already on the ground. I'm surprised to hear this.

You mentioned permits. Do you mean the government license? In Cordoba Provence, for example, it was $65 per day last year. You shouldn't be paying any more than that. In other areas, such as Entre Rios, the license is usually about $200 for the week.

As stated above, gun rental should be $65/75 per day. Bird boys $50 and house staff +/- $120 per day.

American Airlines started a three-times- per- week direct route to Cordoba from Miami but dropped it fairly quickly. They could not fill the seats. I doubt you can get directly into Cordoba from the States these days.

I have a trip planned for pigeon in Cordoba late September----hopefully, if the travel restrictions are relaxed. Going direct to BA and then a domestic flight to Cordoba. In previous years, I've gone through Santiago. The last I heard about travel into Argentina was that all incoming international flights were restricted to Argentine nationals and legal residents until at least Sept 1st. I have not heard that there has been a change. ?????

Last year I paid $13 per box for 20ga dove loads and $14 per box for 12ga duck loads. Some outfitters in Cordoba charge more. Here's something you might want to consider. If you're booking agent allows, you might want to think about paying for your shells up front, before you leave the States. Decide ahead of time that you want to shoot, say, 4 flats a day. Do the math and pay before you leave. You won't have to carry as much cash, or pay an additional fee for a check or credit card, as some outfitters charge these days.

In any case, you'll have a great time. Denies has some great lodges, and the shooting will be fantastic. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

These are the additional “not included” fees from the email directions.

(In order to confirm we will ask each hunter to kindly send down payment covering all the fees not included in the package (hunting licenses at $260, landowner & transfer fees $380 ). Total per person is $640)

Oh well, hope we even get to go with the zombie apocalypse going on.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:52 pm 
Crown Grade

Some of the fees seem questionable but you should still have a great time at a cost less than most shooters would expect to pay. You can definitively shoot a lot of shells, and that can represent the largest part of your costs, but you can also pace yourself and manage your shell bill. After you have had your requisite 1,000 Palomas day, you may feel like taking it a little easier anyway. After all, you only need one $650 hat!