ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bird guns?
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

oakisland,

There are many Grouse & Woodcock hunters like yourself that like Classic American SXS double guns to do their hunting with. I happen to be one of them.

I have some Best German made double guns that I love to Grouse hunt with also. Recently I purchased a J.P. Sauer 16 gauge Best Grouse Gun, to replace one of the guns that had been stolen from our family in the early 1900's. This particular Side Lock J.P.Sauer double gun I acquired, was built in the late 1800's on a 20 gauge frame, has 2 1/2" Chambers, Side Lock Cocking Indicators, and 28" Barrels with DT. Choked IC/IM the gun is a serious Grouse gun. The gun weighs just under 5.9Lbs has Light German style Spinning Clay engraving, and shoots exactly where you point the gun.

Having owned several Best Brit guns, I can truly say that I have never owned a Euro Best double Gun as well made as this J.P. Sauer 16 gauge Best Grouse Gun. Having owned both Boss and H&H guns I was not only surprised about the quality of this particular J.P. Sauer 16 Gauge Best gun, I was very impressed with the swing and balance of it, especially while gunning Grouse. Shooting Grouse with this guns is a pure joy, it was definitely made for doing it.

Because of the quality of this J.P. Grouse Gun I am now looking to acquire a serious German Best Drilling 16 gauge gun. SSM recently had a fine article high lighting one of these J.P. Sauer Drilling guns, at a little over 6 Lbs, it looks like my kind of gun.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

J.P. Sauer 1880's 16 Gauge Best German Grouse Gun

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:54 pm 
Limited Edition

My dad's Remington 1100 Lightweight and my H&R Topper 088.
Both 20 ga. with fixed modified chokes.
Dad's gun has a 26" barrel, mine has a 25" barrel.
I can smoke a lot of clay's, or drop a lot of birds, with either.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:37 pm 
Field Grade

Dave seeing your german gun here it remind me of a 16 gauge i bought back at a gun show in the 1980 for my young son, he liked it because it had very trim lines and outside hammers he wanted to shoot something different, he shot a lot of snipe and geese with that gun, the only thing i know about the gun is it is marked MG STAHL had the prince of wales grip, greener cross bolt. fancy grain wood stock. nitro steel barrels, and i paid about 200.00 for it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

oakisland,

In 1980 you definitley stole that nice gun for sure, at $200.00.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

Gentlemen,

We do a lot of teasing about good guns here in our mountains, it's just the way we were raised. We hope that each and every man or lady acquires and hunts with the guns they like most. We will continue to tease anybody who does not hunt and own, at least one great Classic American side lock double gun, it's just what we do.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:46 pm 
Field Grade

Rizzini BR110, in 12 ga for the last year or so. It’s everything I could want in a bird gun. Before that it was a variety of pump shotguns from Ithaca or Remington. In the beginning there was a 20ga Savage single shot that started my addiction to bird hunting. It’s gone from my assortment now but still in the family.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:07 am 
Presentation Grade

Shotgunweakness,

Lots of men have started out just as you did with the single shotgun, moved up to single barrel pump guns and then on to the O/U or SXS guns. I was lucky and started out with my Grandparents 28 gauge Parker when I was a boy, spoiled me badly right from the start. It's one of the reasons I am an advocate of good Classic American double guns.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well, I have several too, and while I enjoy shooting them, they are far from my favorites

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I’ve owned three SxSs and have never been able to shoot them nearly as well as O/U’s or repeaters. As such, I’d never choose one when the chips are down and every shot counts.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:04 pm 
Crown Grade

I bought an old L.C. Smith late in life to see what it was about SxS's that Elmer liked so much. I like it but am not particularly good with it. But then, I'm not very good with any shotgun.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:06 pm 
Limited Edition

Speaking of SxS's, I had a Stevens 511 when I was about 15.
I never knew which barrel to aim with, but it didn't matter since I usually shot both barrels at the same time (two triggers).
20 gauge, fixed M/F 26" barrels, weighed about 6 1/4 lbs.
I was a fair shot with that gun from day one, but it didn't carry well.
The receiver was almost square and I could never get a comfortable purchase on it.
Because of that, it ended up sitting in the gun case more often than not.
Sold it 20 years ago to a guy I worked with.
I coulda thrown a sling on it, but the idea just never occurred to me until long after I'd gotten rid of it.
Not the most expensive of side shooters, nor the fanciest, but mine was definitely well built and a gun that someone could use for life.
Sometimes I miss that ol' gun, but then I think about the H&R I have now and I don't feel so bad anymore.
It was a good gun, though. I see them for sale from time to time. If you're ever considering one, it would be a good buy if its in good shape, but they never were very expensive so your buying price shouldn't be either.

Dean

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

DeanMk,

I have an old early 1900's 20 gauge SXS Double H&R, a real nice old gun a man special ordered for himself when H&R was building very nice double guns. I agree the old H&R Double guns were priced for the American middle class sportsman. The gun I own is a serious Grouse and Woodcock Hammer Gun, a joy to carry and shoot. If you can find one today they are more than worth the money you will expend to purchase one.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:23 pm 
Field Grade

I’ve had some American doubles, Ithaca, Fox (not the savage Fox), LC Smith. They’re OK. Blackpowder guns were OK too until something better was available.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:08 pm 
Limited Edition

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
DeanMk,

I have an old early 1900's 20 gauge SXS Double H&R, a real nice old gun a man special ordered for himself when H&R was building very nice double guns. I agree the old H&R Double guns were priced for the American middle class sportsman. The gun I own is a serious Grouse and Woodcock Hammer Gun, a joy to carry and shoot. If you can find one today they are more than worth the money you will expend to purchase one.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

That sounds like a very special gun.
Got any pics you can share?
To be sure, though, my H&R is an 088 Topper single. It was built in 1981.
I do have my grandfather's old gun, though.
Another H&R single. 16 ga. Model of 1908, first variation.
According to Shooting Times magazine, it was made around 1914-1915.
Lockwork is still tight and crisp. No one's shot that gun in years, though.
The SxS I had was a Stevens 511. It was a Xmas present I got from my dad in the late 70's.
One SxS I had heard good things about was the old Baikal MP200.
I was seriously considering one, but then Baikal pulled out of the US market and that was the end of that.

Dean

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

DeanMk,

Here is a picture of the old H&R double Hammer Gun, it's a nice 20 gauge gun, light and very effective in the Grouse woods. I use the RST & Poly SpredR's in her with Great success. I will have to take a better picture for you some time.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:39 am 
Limited Edition

Wow dude.
That is absolutely beautiful.
I was thinking RST's for the 16 gauge, when I get around to getting the forearm for it.
Are the 2 1/2" shells much more expensive than regular ol' modern shotgun shells?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:06 am 
Field Grade

I just started shooting a Browning 725 Field in 20g. This could be my bird gun of choice.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:49 am 
Limited Edition

725 is new to me, so I had to look it up.
NICE! -b
I can't believe the Feather Superlight is under 6 lbs. in the 20 ga.
As a comparison, my H&R break action single, also in 20 ga., is only 3 oz. lighter.....3 oz.!
That's insane.
Congrats on your latest grab and I hope you get to enjoy it for a long time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

DeanMk,

Yes the RST & Poly SpredR shells are more expensive than the standard shells purchased at Walmart, for sure. They are both made by specialty shell companies, in the USA.

The great thing about Poly SpredRs is I can order a case of them from (LCS) Lion County Supply and get free shipping directly to my back woods log cabin in Potter County, Pa. They even let you mix what ever shells you want to purchase, to make the case or cases. Unfortunately RST is not in on that particular purchase deal. For this reason I use a lot more Poly SpredR shells than RST. Both however are American shell manufacturers. I purchase American made when ever I can.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

The latest #6 SpredR's I ordered for my newly acquired Antique Crescent Hammer Gun. I ordered some #8's and 7 1/2's also.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I’ve enjoyed your tales about hunting with vintage doubles. Do you take it as far as using black powder? That would take you back more than a century

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next