ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bird guns?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:14 pm 
Field Grade

Looks like a post that could continue on for a long time.

Remington 1100 20ga for dove
Fabarm L4S 12ga for pheasant
* in search of a 20ga lightweight, soft shooter for quail and the kids to use

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Good used Remington LT-20. For me, it fits; it's light; and it's reliable.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

Post subject: Bird guns?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Went on the last managed hunt of the season. Quarry was pheasant and chukkar. Location was Douglas County Kansas. Gun was my Benelli Legacy 28 ga. Ammo was hand loaded Cheddite hulls with 16.5 grains of Pro Reach under 3/4oz of nickel plated #5 shot. Best shot of the day for me was a bird that got up to my left and circled around behind us at full speed. Having escaped three shooters I lead about three feet and connected at about 35-40 yards and I saw an explosion of feathers. Bird dropped. I got cheers from my fellow hunters. That Benelli is my new favorite.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

Great thread. Some of you boys are carrying some nice iron! Mine are a little more common, but they suit me.

Favorite for walking behind my Pudelpointer in the uplands is a 20 ga Citori white lightning. 28" barrels. I had it fitted to me with left hand wood. Also shortened the forearm a bit to make it more lively. Weight is a smidge under 6.5 lbs. It fits me about perfect and I shoot it better than my other bird guns. It moved a Beretta SP II with left hand wood (that I really like) to a back up role.
I try to put the dog on wild birds in a variety of cover and terrain as often as possible. Last season I used the Citori for Pheasant, Huns, Grouse, Bobwhite, Scaled quail, and Woodcock which is my personal favorite. Also shot a good many Mallards and Honkers with it.
Favorite waterfowl gun is a 12 gauge Beretta 390 set up to accommodate my lefthandedness.

Willie T

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:19 pm 
Field Grade

Sounds like some good past memories and great future hunting with you and the pup.

Nice variety.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

Willie T,

If you like to hunt Woodcock we need to get you into a nice 20 or 28 Gauge Hammer Gun and away from all the modern stuff. Woodcock hunting is a traditional type wild bird hunting sport like Grouse hunting, a man should have some reverence & respect for the birds, and use a good American Classic or German Best double gun, when gunning God's favorite birds. O/U's and semi-auto's are fine for Pheasant and Ducks.

Pine Creek/Dave

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:29 pm 
Crown Grade

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
Willie T,

If you like to hunt Woodcock we need to get you into a nice 20 or 28 Gauge Hammer Gun and away from all the modern stuff. Woodcock hunting is a traditional type wild bird hunting sport like Grouse hunting, a man should have some reverence & respect for the birds, and use a good American Classic double gun, when gunning God's favorite birds. O/U's and semi-auto's are fine for Pheasant and Ducks.

Pine Creek/Dave

This site needs a "LIKE" button...... {hs#

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

Dave,
I like to look at the old hammer guns but they are not for me. I grew up bird hunting with my grandpa and admiring his 20 gauge superposed. That most certainly influenced my tastes.

Willie T

Last edited by Willie T on Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:06 pm 
Limited Edition

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
Willie T,

If you like to hunt Woodcock we need to get you into a nice 20 or 28 Gauge Hammer Gun and away from all the modern stuff. Woodcock hunting is a traditional type wild bird hunting sport like Grouse hunting, a man should have some reverence & respect for the birds, and use a good American Classic double gun, when gunning God's favorite birds. O/U's and semi-auto's are fine for Pheasant and Ducks.

Pine Creek/Dave

I completely agree with this ! Most of those birds are found in wooded marsh areas and that is one of the most sensitive birds I've ever hunted and far and few in between ! I've even used a .410 for those cause of the thickets . No use bringing a big gun to a hunt for these cause if you don't get it by first shot your totally lucky for a second shot and a third is out of the question !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

Gentlemen,

We do a lot of teasing here in our mountains about different guns and their use. Because of the way I was raised with good double guns for hunting Grouse & Woodcock I harass my kid brother about using his O/U Browning guns to hunt Grouse and Woodcock. Us old timers refer to it as going over to the dark side. Using Semi-Auto's for Grouse & Woodcock hunting is disrespecting God's Greatsest Game Birds on the highest level. Of course this all falls on deaf ears when it come to my brother, and the other men in his age group. Nothing but a bunch of heathens!

It's not how many birds you shoot, it's how you shoot the birds!

Pine Creek/Dave

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:55 pm 
Utility Grade

Winchester 101 20 Gauge 26.5” Barrels M/IC - Quail and Dove

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

Willie T,

I can completely understand you as a lefty wanting an O/U SST gun, my uncle was a pure lefty also and all his guns were O/U SST and he was good with them. He did not like the DT guns because he did not want to special order the gun with reversed triggers. He did use my DT hammer gun one time because his gun had a problem while we were out hunting. He did pretty well with it. He did have a nice SXS 20 Gauge L.C. Smith with SST that he used for Grouse hunting also, he preferred the O/U's because he shot the guns better, even thou they were much heavier to carry. He liked his 12 gauge SST O/U guns, even for Grouse hunting.

Your Grandfather taught you well, he liked quality bird guns.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

Gentlemen,

I hate to break it to you, but there is no such thing as a “grouse” gun or a “woodcock” gun. Tradition is what we make it, and the best way to respect any bird is to put it on the ground, dead, as quickly and efficiently as one can. The idea of a certain type of gun being the “right” type of gun because that’s what so many of the upland writers who came before us used is poppycock. They used those guns because they were what was available at the time. You really want to show respect for the birds? Then shoot a gun that fits you correctly, that you shoot well. And practice. Go break clays. Lots of them. We owe it to the birds to be good at what we do. All it takes to be a grouse/woodcock hunter is a gun that fits, comfortable boots, and the balls to get out in to the woods.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Amen!!!

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:34 am 
Tournament Grade

Amen X 2.

To rephrase " It's not how many birds you shoot but rather how well you shoot your birds."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi,

As much as I love my SxS guns for hunting, the one thing I've noticed is that in nearly 50 years of hunting not a single bird that ended up on my plate was ever put out over the kind or brand of gun or shell that fetched him to that end.

Whether is was a black plastic or camo'ed S/A shellshucker or my M/L'ing Pedersoli SxS. US made or Turkish made, (honesty force me to admit to a Chinese made hammer gun used on a pheasant hunt for a bet - I missed).

"Needing" to use a certain type of gun to hunt out of "reverence" for the game is far more about trying to impress others than the game we hunt. And I openly admit to often choosing a SxS simply because I'm pretty sure I look far more sophisticated and cool when I miss. I am under no delusions about it.

TL:DR - A missed Woodcock isn't concerned about what gun was used. And a dead Woodcock cares even less. Shoot what you like and like what you shoot.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:04 pm 
Crown Grade

At one time my favorite grouse gun was my Remington 514 single shot 22LR. I put a lot of grouse and not a few pheasants in the bag with it. I put a scope on it a few years back to help with shooting gophers. It is just as accurate now as way back when and I plan on putting a few more grouse in the pot with it this year. It's been too long sitting in the safe. I should carry a pistol more often too, I shot a few grouse with an Iver Johnson revolver or with 38 Special wad cutters when scouting which added to the camp meal. I recently picked up a nice 6" S&W 17 revolver that is pretty accurate and should carry well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:09 am 
Crown Grade

Most understand that many firearms of many dimensions have the ability to kill a gamebird...pheasants to ruffed grouse and beyond.
Hardly earth-shaking, as shooting gamebirds is hardly rocketry.
However, snobbery can lead that discussion and then anti-snobbery and silly humor-ish stuff does continually rear it's head...especially whenever bragging, SxSs and ruffed grouse being linked together pops up.

Personally, I prefer an Auto 5 Sweet 16 or a 16 Fox for ruffed grouse, tho my first wingshot on one was with a 20 gauge single-shot in '64'.
Still, doubles have a solid reason to be in the grouse woods.....and that is dogs.
Other actions are not really any less safe...but they can be, ime and particularly in up & down country, slower to make safe around those dogs or in crossing a step and a half wide crick and so on.
Not a big deal but whether in the alders or back at the tailgate...break-opens, Sxs or O/U, are a plus in many ways...hence, why they are often used.
Balance and the like can enter decisions and preferences, as can esthetics....choices are all good, if the bird falls with a reasonable expectation in reasonable shape.

Now, back to "my SxS is best/traditional here/Gramp's choice/etc. or "I find a bit of gravel bruising adds flavor to grouse meat."
It's all so entertaining...bet the kids reading learn a lot of value.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

Gentlemen,

If you want to call this old back woodman a snob for using my SXS Hammer Guns and SXS Hammerless guns to Grouse hunt so be it. I am a traditional Grouse hunter have taught many many people to Grouse and woodcock hunt, trained their dogs also. Tradition and ethics are important parts of Grouse & Woodcock hunting. Using a SXS double gun is part of that tradition. We do a lot of teasing about people hunting Grouse with Semi-Auto Duck guns, and O/U Clays guns. It's just how we were raised and taught. My younger brother is a sinner who went over to the dark side, and uses O/U guns for his Grouse hunting. I keep telling him he will stand in front of God for such transgressions. It never even phases him, as it does not phase people here who hunt with O/U and Semi-Auto guns.

In really I am a member of the NRA and want every man to own and use the guns he most likes, and own and run the dog or dogs he most likes also. Myself I am steeped in Grouse hunting tradition, and no it has nothing what so ever to do with impressing some other hunter. In fact I see very few of them in the Grouse Woods while hunting. It has to due with the SXS double gun, with Double Triggers and instant choke selection, while shooting different shells in each barrel of the SXS double gun. I was taught this technique when I was a young boy, and I still use it even today and teach others of its importance, in the Grouse woods.

Now I have let some of our traditional Grouse hunting slip a might, my Grandfather Grouse hunted in more formal attire, suit coat and tie all the time. I wear a traditional Grouse hunting vest with the legal Orange on it, usually a ball cap and some hunting pants or chaps. My Gore-Tex Browning Grouse Coat & Pants are some my favorite hunting attire, light and water proof is my favorite hunting garb.

I was taught that Grouse & Woodcock hunting is a gentlemens sport, that should be done with a Gentlemen's dog and gun. It's not how many birds you take, it's how you take the birds.

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:07 am 
Presentation Grade

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
Gentlemen,

If you want to call this old back woodman a snob for using my SXS Hammer Guns and SXS Hammerless guns to Grouse hunt so be it. I am a traditional Grouse hunter have taught many many people to Grouse and woodcock hunt, trained their dogs also. Tradition and ethics are important parts of Grouse & Woodcock hunting. Using a SXS double gun is part of that tradition. We do a lot of teasing about people hunting Grouse with Semi-Auto Duck guns, and O/U Clays guns. It's just how we were raised and taught. My younger brother is a sinner who went over to the dark side, and uses O/U guns for his Grouse hunting. I keep telling him he will stand in front of God for such transgressions. It never even phases him, as it does not phase people here who hunt with O/U and Semi-Auto guns.

In really I am a member of the NRA and want every man to own and use the guns he most likes, and own and run the dog or dogs he most likes also. Myself I am steeped in Grouse hunting tradition, and no it has nothing what so ever to do with impressing some other hunter. In fact I see very few of them in the Grouse Woods while hunting. It has to due with the SXS double gun, with Double Triggers and instant choke selection, while shooting different shells in each barrel of the SXS double gun. I was taught this technique when I was a young boy, and I still use it even today and teach others of its importance, in the Grouse woods.

Now I have let some of our traditional Grouse hunting slip a might, my Grandfather Grouse hunted in more formal attire, suit coat and tie all the time. I wear a traditional Grouse hunting vest with the legal Orange on it, usually a ball cap and some hunting pants or chaps. My Gore-Tex Browning Grouse Coat & Pants are some my favorite hunting attire, light and water proof is my favorite hunting garb.

I was taught that Grouse & Woodcock hunting is a gentlemens sport, that should be done with a Gentlemen's dog and gun. It's not how many birds you take, it's how you take the birds.

Dave B - L.C. Smith Man

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next