ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: 16 GA. ON WILD PHEASANTS
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
Gentlemen,

I have to add this, I have no need for a 20 gauge or a 16 gauge gun chambered for 3" shells. If the Grouse escapes my 2 1/2" shells, I smile and consider it fair chase, and go on with my hunt.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

^^^THIS^^^

With that statement, Dave has just proven himself a consummate hunter.

I feared that such an attitude had become a thing of the past and my thinking may seem "old hat".
I am glad to know I'm not the only one who understands the "give and take" of hunting.
I'd be proud to take the field with you any day of the week, Dave.
I can't say that about everyone.
Thank you for your post.

Dean

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:42 pm 
Field Grade

That is a great looking LC Smith. It is more about the gun than gauge to me, though some gun / gauge combos work really well. That looks like a nice one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I never load more than two in my repeaters. If I can’t take the bird with two, then I wish it Godspeed.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:17 pm 
Crown Grade

casonet wrote:
I never load more than two in my repeaters. If I can’t take the bird with two, then I wish it Godspeed.

I am not making fun of what you said, I totally get it.

When I read what you wrote, it made me think I should leave a few empty chambers in my CCW revolver...just to make it sporting! Then I actually laughed out loud!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:52 pm 
Crown Grade

casonet wrote:

I hear what your are saying, but more than once I have taken a limit of three pheasants with three shots out of an SA when the stars align right on a single flush or multiple fast flushes with no opportunity to reload and I have often taken two needing that third shot to fill in for a miss. So for now I still load three. Otherwise may as well carry an OU or sxs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I’ve never had three come up at once. Out here they are usually singles and often they will flush almost out of range

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:15 pm 
Crown Grade

You probably aren’t pushing too many frozen cattail marshes in 10 plus inches of snow down there in Kansas! In the late season once the heavy snow takes out much of the lighter cover the birds will be grouped up in the cattails. When you find em, you’ll find a bunch but it’s often hard to sneak in without them busting out of range.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Don’t know where you are but there ain’t no cattails it western Kansas, only miles of wheat ground and crp set aside.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:07 pm 
Field Grade

[quote="Patently Obvious"]You probably aren’t pushing too many frozen cattail marshes in 10 plus inches of snow down there in Kansas! In the late season once the heavy snow takes out much of the lighter cover the birds will be grouped up in the cattails. When you find em, you’ll find a bunch but it’s often hard to sneak in without them busting out of range.[/uHave

Only hunted in snow that deep a couple times here in Kansas but I do agree that in the late season they bunch up and that is when I take my Win M12 with the third shot of 16ga available. While this past weekend I enjoyed a preserve hunt, actually four hunts over the weekend, and showed everybody how well a 28ga kills pheasants.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

casonet wrote:
Don’t know where you are but there ain’t no cattails it western Kansas, only miles of wheat ground and crp set aside.

Ha! Yeah, buddy!
I don't remember much of Kansas, but that sounds about right. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

DeanMK,

Thank you sir for the kind words, you are welcome at the Log Cabin in Potter/Tioga any time you can make it. We will do a little Grouse and Woodcock hunting together.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:44 pm 
Limited Edition

i once put up 18 from the same cover
anyone got a recommendation to handle that?
in the span of less then a minute i had 3 5+ bird flushes a few doubles and a several singles
there was more then 18 , but that's the number i could count
i have to admit after the first half dozen flushed my dog sorta lost it
my pointer became a flusher kinda by default...but never left my sight or shot range

i try to take my time and only pull the trigger once ,occasionally i will pull twice , but the chance of success goes down mightily on that 2nd shot
if you shoot three times?? well your just p!ssed off you were such a bad shot with the first two

the limit here is 2 a day ,i can get that with the 3 shells i had loaded.
16,20,12, 10g has no bearing what so ever ..
choke is way more important then gauge
shoot what ever gun you like

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
DeanMK,

Thank you sir for the kind words, you are welcome at the Log Cabin in Potter/Tioga any time you can make it. We will do a little Grouse and Woodcock hunting together.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

You're welcome Dave...and thank you for your kind words of acknowledgement.
That may be the impetus I need to get my granddad's H&R 1908 up and running.....and, it's a 16 gauge!. :shock: ( :wink: )

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:26 am 
Diamond Grade

DeanMk,

I also have an old 1900 H&R, it's a 20 gauge double trigger/double Hammer gun and I love it. One incredible old gun that came from a well off lady after her husband passed away. He wanted the gun to go to somebody who Grouse hunted all the time, because it was his favorite Grouse gun. The gentlemen had some very expensive Purdey, Boss and Westley Richards bird guns, however this little H&R was his favorite double gun. I have to admit it is a fantastic old double gun, and I have killed many Grouse with it already. I hope your H&R is as nice a gun as the old Hammer gun that was given to me.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

The old 1900 H&R 20 gauge Hammer Gun on my work desk. The old H&R Hammer Gun has become one of my favorite Grouse guns, using RST & Poly SpredR's.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

Time will tell Dave.
I should explain, however, my 1908 is a single.
First variation, from around 1914-1915.
Possibly my grandfather's first gun.
It's a little dandy, as are most H&R singles.
Needs some work but the lock work is still tight.
Would love to use this in the woods some day.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:52 pm 
Diamond Grade

DeanMK,

Nice little squirrel and rabbit gun, I have one similar to it, that one of my better half friends gave to me. I use it for gun dog training now and then also. If you are into bird hunting look around for the early 1900 DT/DH SXS sub-gauge H&R. Really nice bird guns.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:23 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks Dave.
I'll check that out some time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9