Shotgun Forum banner

SxS Barrel Length

7K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  oakisland 
#1 ·
I've read and heard all the opinions that an O/U is better than a SxS for hunting. Regardless, I'm getting a SxS, not as my main gun, but for days when I want to go Old School. I have 28" barrels on my O/U's and was thinking the same for the SxS. What do y'all say ?

#2 ·
I have SxS with 26, 28 amd 30 inch barrels. I don't think in general the barrel length means that much as far as ballistics. You have to determine, does it swing well for you, what is the weight considering this will be a field gun and how to you aim or point, with regard to sight radius etc. I don't look at my barrels and work on getting a consistent mount and then the barrels are shooting where I am looking, so for me the barrel length is more about resale value.

Bob

#3 ·
For small gauge, like a 28, I prefer 30" barrels as for ME they seem to help with the swing dynamics. (This is assuming a properly scaled gun that weighs 6# or less). Otherwise, I prefer 28". I have 2 with 26" barrels and they do not get used very often.

#5 ·
Like has been stated already, it's a personal preference. What fits you best, you will shoot best. If you get 26"bbl be sure the gun fits you really well. Longer bbl are more prointable, and have a bit more wiggle room as far as gun fit is concerned. I like longer bbl. My go to grouse gun is 29"bbl (actually 28" w/ extended choke tubes), and I'll never go shorter than 28"bbl. I have hunted grouse with 26", 28", 29", and 32"bbl. no one gun hung up in the thickets more than the other, so I wouldn't let that be a consideration.

#8 ·
7dawg9,

I take it from your handle you are a bird hunter. If that is the case you might consider purchasing a 26" or 28" gun, especially if you are a Grouse hunter. If you like the 28" barrels and you shoot well with them, go for it. Swinging a longer barrel gun in a Grouse Covert can be a challenge, depending on how accomplished a woodsman you happen to be. If you are mainly a Pheasant hunter the 30" or 32" barreled gun is not a problem and they work well especially out in the big sky country of Montana.

It all depends on where you do your most hunting. I have different length barrels on my L.C. Smith, Lefever and J.P. Sauer bird guns, for different uses and locations.

I highly recommend the American & German Classic SXS double guns, of which I have a nice collection. Also consider a good Hammer Gun if you are a bird hunter, great old guns that really work well. IMO the idea is to own quality guns for bird hunting, that make bird hunting great sportsmanship.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Moder L.C. Smith 28 gauge with 26" Barrels, gets the job done.

1913 L.C. Smith 16 Gauge has been getting the job done for generations.

#10 ·
df,
Most sportsmen do prefer 28" barrels, the 28" barrels are more forgiving on a game gun. In reality if you are a good bird hunter, the 2" does not matter a great deal. I own guns with both length barrels for the habitat I hunt in at different times. Like most I like the 28" barrels best. However some guns only come with 26" barrels, and SST which I think is a shame.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

#11 ·
I also prefer 28" or longer barrels but my 26" Parker Reproduction 28 gauge shoots amazingly well, even on doves. Fit and balance have an awful lot to do with what will work for you and not every shotgun you own need have the same barrel length to meet your needs.

#12 ·
old birdhntr,

Repro's like the Parker and the new L.C. Smith Spanish made 28 gauge are the exact guns I was talking about that only came with 26" barrels and SST, both guns would have been even nicer with 28" barrels and DT, at least as an option, at additional cost.

My modern 28 gauge L.C. Smith is definitely a real nice Grouse and Woodcock gun, even with 26" barrels and SST. Got to admit the Parker Repro 20/16 combo gun is one sweet double gun to Grouse and Woodcock hunt with also.

However the CSMC Fox is the gun I favor, with DT and 28" barrels and Roys custom engraving, man they are nice modern bird guns. The cost is a bummer however. Still for the money expended the L.C.Smith 28 Gauge made by Zabala is one nice bird gun.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Modern L.C. Smith 28 gauge made for Marlin with Spanish Style Engraving, SST and 26" Barrels.

#14 ·
oldbrdhntr,

You are correct sir the Parker Repro was made with both 28" Barrels and DT, it's just the modern L.C. Smith 28 that was made with 26" barrels and SST.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

#15 ·
I like the 30" barrels that my Nitro Special wears. Doubles just look stubby with anything less than 28" and if you're shooting a double it's all about the esthetics.

#16 ·
I agree with olsbrdhntr. Fit makes more difference to met than barrel length.

I have many shotguns ranging from a Perazzi 410 with 33" barrels all the way to a Churchill XXV 12ga with 25" barrels. These two fit me well and I shoot both of them better than any of the others I own.

#17 ·
Gentlemen,

I have L.C. Smith double guns with 26" thru 32" Barrels and never thought the 26" barrels looked stubby on any of the SXS double guns. Especially my original 1926, 20 Gauge SST, field grade gun. It's all what a man is use to shooting, especially in the Grouse woods.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

A couple L.C. Smith bird guns, the original 1926 under the modern 28 gauge.

#19 ·
VictorGK,

It all depends on the time of year, and the hunting I am doing which gun I am likely to be carrying. I do like 28 gauge guns with longer barrel lengths. However I have many 16 gauge double guns with 26" & 28"
barrels that get used, especially in the early season when the foliage is seriously thick, here in Pa.

I am a normal 5' 10" and walk the Grouse woods both hunting and Training gun dogs. I do understand that a big man like my Grandfather carried his 32" Pigeon Grade Smith like I carry his 20 gauge with 26" Barrels. Still for moving thru the Grouse woods in the early season I prefer the shorter barreled gun.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

#20 ·
I personally like my SxS to have shorter barrels. I wish my 20 and 28 gauge Dickinsons had 26 inch barrels rather than 28 inch.

#21 ·
Hard to say...barrel length can be chosen relative to inches and thick cover ifin a certain length gives the shooter confidence.
Tho the difference of 2" is scant in the real world where thick may truly not be found every moment of the day ie stepping out onto a tramroad or log landing cover change from the little trees.

Balance...may be the wisest determiner and based upon the particulars of the shooter and his use for the shotgun.
Length being different for a SxS or O/U is kinda silly...use and more tells the tale, imo, and not barrel orientation.

Good luck.

#22 ·
Multiflora,

No doubt a quality made double guns should be balanced and fit properly no matter the length of the barrels. The barrels are only part of a quality double gun.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Ken's Fox A

#23 ·
If you're used to a double barrel'd gun with 28" barrels and don't mind it, then it doesn't matter if its O/U or SxS.
However, if you're looking for a change (besides barrel config), then I can tell you my old Stevens 511 20 ga. had 26" barrels and I always regarded that gun as having exceptional balance, as cheap as it was.
For me, it was a natural pointer that I could swing like it was an extension of my own body.
Hopefully, you have similar luck with finding your own sweet little SxS.

#24 ·
26 inch or 28 inch does not make a nickle difference shoot what you like, i have as many of one as the other, in close cover i like the 26 inch, in open field shooting i like the 28 inch they seem to have a more fluid swing than the 26, also i have a friend who shoot a remington 1100 20 gauge classic 21 or 23 inch barrels?, and does not take a back seat to anybody at the end of the day bird count. so go figure. bob jones

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.