ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: stevens 555 compact... as a turkey gun?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:17 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:02 pm
Posts: 62
I figure this would be a more appropriate section to post this in than the opinion section. I had a previous post about looking for a new 20 gauge a while back primarily as an all around 20 gauge for busting clays and for upland/waterfowl. Plans changed again (like always) and I'm about to put some money into some much needed new turkey gear. New turkey clothes, vest, extra mouth calls, new pot, spare striker (my only one fell out of my vest it was a miracle I found it), and most importantly a dedicated turkey gun. I have been taking my 3901 and while I love it, a turkey gun it is not. I got bit by the bug last year, but this year I was able to go more than two days and I realized that I really need to get my equipment squared away.

So with that said, I'm wanting get a 20 gauge set up for the sole purpose of turkey hunting. Preferably a youth/compact gun to keep things short and handy. To that end, I've been really eyeing the Stevens 555 compact in a 20 gauge. It checks the box for light and handy. I'd just have to get a mount for a small red dot made, and get it dipped in Camo. The big advantage- two barrels and two different chokes. One barrel with a tighter choke like a .555 IC and the bottom with a more open choke like a factory full or something.

Thoughts?




Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stevens 555 compact... as a turkey gun?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:25 pm
Posts: 9119
Location: Louisiana
Sounds like a good plan. I’ve no inkling as to the quality of a 555 but if that is your choice or preference, go for it. O/Us make good turkey guns, in my opinion and experience.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stevens 555 compact... as a turkey gun?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:58 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:55 am
Posts: 5336
Location: Hemingway, S.C. 29554
I agree with Lossking. I am no Turkey gun expert but I have busted a few. Pop said that in the old days, they hunted them with .22 rifles. With today's high tech turkey loads, I see no reason a 20 ga. can't be a decent turkey gun. Even with non magnum lead loads, if you know your gun & load & only shoot when game is in it's effective range, it will kill as well as anything else. I have read stories about crack turkey hunters that liked to use the standard 20 but note that they were exceptionally good callers!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stevens 555 compact... as a turkey gun?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:22 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am
Posts: 26782
Location: Plainfield, IL
jacosta95 wrote:
So with that said, I'm wanting get a 20 gauge set up for the sole purpose of turkey hunting. Preferably a youth/compact gun to keep things short and handy. To that end, I've been really eyeing the Stevens 555 compact in a 20 gauge. It checks the box for light and handy. I'd just have to get a mount for a small red dot made, and get it dipped in Camo. The big advantage- two barrels and two different chokes. One barrel with a tighter choke like a .555 IC and the bottom with a more open choke like a factory full or something.

Thoughts?


It is a truly horrible choice. It is a poorly made alloy shotgun to begin with, and two chokes is no advantage: you can deal with two different points of impact. There are SO many choices out there that are already camo-dipped and ready to go-- with preinstalled Pic rails as well. You're talking about creating a real Frankengun.

It is just one shot and go pick him up-- and countless shotguns will do that for you. By the time you get through with your creation, you'll be sorry you didn't get an autoloader or a pump.

_________________
--Randy

http://randywakeman.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stevens 555 compact... as a turkey gun?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:10 pm 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 3096
Location: MO
Nothing better than an ill fitting, lightweight shotgun shooting heavy loads, to two different spots, to slap you hard up side the head and teach you a lifetime lesson. The Stevens 555 compact is the perfect gun for that lesson and it will only cost you a few hundred dollars for that education. Go ahead and round up the electrical parts for your new floor lamp now, you'll want them soon enough.

_________________
The population of idiots is growing by leaps and bounds and presently they are not all able to find employment within the government. So watch out, they are everywhere!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stevens 555 compact... as a turkey gun?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:27 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:55 am
Posts: 5336
Location: Hemingway, S.C. 29554
As far as that particular model, I don't know but I have trouble visualizing anything coming out of a 20 ga. as a heavy load. Personally, I would use one of my 10 ga. guns or at least a 12. Some people like to hunt with the smaller gauge guns for the same reason people like to bow hunt. It adds to the sport. "Too each his own." There is nothing wrong with a pump or an auto but I wouldn't chose one because I shoot something else much better. Yes, there is a benefit to having two barrels & two chokes. That way you can also have a choice of two different loads. I haven't pursued turkeys in recent years but when I did I loaded one barrel with small shot & the other with something like 2's or BB's. The small shot is for the traditional head shot & the 2's are in case the sucker doesn't play fair & takes to the wing or starts running. I did kill one turkey on the wing with #2's.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stevens 555 compact... as a turkey gun?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:09 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:02 pm
Posts: 62
RandyWakeman wrote:
jacosta95 wrote:
So with that said, I'm wanting get a 20 gauge set up for the sole purpose of turkey hunting. Preferably a youth/compact gun to keep things short and handy. To that end, I've been really eyeing the Stevens 555 compact in a 20 gauge. It checks the box for light and handy. I'd just have to get a mount for a small red dot made, and get it dipped in Camo. The big advantage- two barrels and two different chokes. One barrel with a tighter choke like a .555 IC and the bottom with a more open choke like a factory full or something.

Thoughts?


It is a truly horrible choice. It is a poorly made alloy shotgun to begin with, and two chokes is no advantage: you can deal with two different points of impact. There are SO many choices out there that are already camo-dipped and ready to go-- with preinstalled Pic rails as well. You're talking about creating a real Frankengun.

It is just one shot and go pick him up-- and countless shotguns will do that for you. By the time you get through with your creation, you'll be sorry you didn't get an autoloader or a pump.


Any evidence to back it up that its a poorly made gun? I've seen pretty positive reviews. Turkey hunting is a one shot game, won't disagree, but having had a tom run out on me at less than 20 I think having the option for an more open choke isn't a bad idea


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stevens 555 compact... as a turkey gun?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:12 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:02 pm
Posts: 62
Oldfarmer wrote:
Nothing better than an ill fitting, lightweight shotgun shooting heavy loads, to two different spots, to slap you hard up side the head and teach you a lifetime lesson. The Stevens 555 compact is the perfect gun for that lesson and it will only cost you a few hundred dollars for that education. Go ahead and round up the electrical parts for your new floor lamp now, you'll want them soon enough.


I highly doubt it would be that bad as you make it out to be. My bothers 20 gauge 870 with tss loads wasn't bad at all. I think you are making a bigger deal out of recoil than it actually is. I've certainly shot worse from harder recoiling rifles.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stevens 555 compact... as a turkey gun?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:20 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am
Posts: 26782
Location: Plainfield, IL
jacosta95 wrote:
Any evidence to back it up that its a poorly made gun?


Personal experience. :shock: :shock: :shock:

_________________
--Randy

http://randywakeman.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stevens 555 compact... as a turkey gun?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:48 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am
Posts: 26782
Location: Plainfield, IL
geometric wrote:
As far as that particular model, I don't know but I have trouble visualizing anything coming out of a 20 ga. as a heavy load.


You can call 1-1/2 oz. whatever you which, but that is a heavy load as far as I'm concerned. I haven't used anything lighter since 2011, and those were Federal Heavyweight #7 loads out of a Browning A-5 20 Mag.



In 2012, I used the same load out of an Ithaca M37 20 gauge.



TSS loads are even better than the 'old' Federal Heavyweight #7 loads. Here's a 50 yard exterior ballistics comparison (1-1/2 oz. payloads) between Federal Heavyweight #7, Lead #5, Federal TSS #7, and Federal TSS #9.

Image

_________________
--Randy

http://randywakeman.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stevens 555 compact... as a turkey gun?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:04 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:02 pm
Posts: 62
RandyWakeman wrote:
jacosta95 wrote:
Any evidence to back it up that its a poorly made gun?


Personal experience. :shock: :shock: :shock:


i saw your online “review”. Wasn’t much of one, and there wasn’t anything to suggest you sent the gun back to savage to get the doubling sorted out unless I missed it. That’s not very much for me to go off of where a lot of other writers and video makers will give a company a chance to fix something then continue with the review. Which, if I missed it I will admit I’m wrong, but it does not look like that’s what you did.

I mean no offense, but up till this point I didn’t look at your videos or website. that was my first time looking at your site.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stevens 555 compact... as a turkey gun?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:07 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am
Posts: 26782
Location: Plainfield, IL
jacosta95 wrote:
i saw your online “review”. Wasn’t much of one, and there wasn’t anything to suggest you sent the gun back to savage to get the doubling sorted out unless I missed it. That’s not very much for me to go off of where a lot of other writers and video makers will give a company a chance to fix something then continue with the review. Which, if I missed it I will admit I’m wrong, but it does not look like that’s what you did.


How could you miss it?

Quote:
The 555 is built on a conventional box lock action. The mechanical, non-adjustable, single selective trigger is surprisingly light, breaking at just under four pounds after noticeable take-up per my Lyman electronic pull gauge. The plain extractors elevate both fired and unfired shells when the gun is opened, but do not eject fired hulls. The manual tang safety works smoothly.

As you would imagine, the gun kicks like a mule, as would be expected from any six pound, fixed breech, 12 gauge shotgun. It is no clays gun, to be sure, but tolerable shooting 1180 fps MV, one ounce loads.

I took the first few shots at clays myself and the Stevens broke them just fine. The gun is noticeably muzzle heavy, as you might expect with an aluminum alloy receiver.

Unfortunately, I then asked my eighty-six year old father if he's like to try a shot or two. The reason it was unfortunate is that on Dad's first shot, the gun doubled, simultaneously discharging both barrels. It was loud, of course, and Dad had the benefit of throwing two ounces of lead out of a six pound gun--taking a few steps backward as a result. It is a good thing we were not shooting three inch magnum shells at the time!

As supplied, the single trigger on the Stevens 555 cannot be trusted. Perhaps this one just slipped through the cracks, but no one would be happy with a "give 'em both barrels" (from time to time) O/U shotgun with a single trigger. Unfortunately, double triggers are not an option. Thus, back to Savage Arms goes the Stevens 555, without remorse.


Of COURSE the gun went back to Savage. Of COURSE Savage had the opportunity to fix it or replace it. Savage failed.

It is a miserably poor shotgun in general and a horrifically bad choice as turkey gun attempt.

_________________
--Randy

http://randywakeman.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stevens 555 compact... as a turkey gun?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:58 am 
Field Grade

Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:02 pm
Posts: 62
"As supplied, the single trigger on the Stevens 555 cannot be trusted. Perhaps this one just slipped through the cracks, but no one would be happy with a "give 'em both barrels" (from time to time) O/U shotgun with a single trigger. Unfortunately, double triggers are not an option. Thus, back to Savage Arms goes the Stevens 555, without remorse."

I did see that actually, and it doesn't give a reader much to go off of. Where in there does it say they tried to fix it or replace it and failed? How is there reader supposed to know if savage, who is known to have good customer service, fixed it? There isn't an update or amendment to it to indicate it. In your own article you even suggest that it slipped might have slipped through the cracks, but don't give an update from savage about the test gun.

There is nothing from your "review" to indicate that is is a "miserably poor shotgun in general". If anything it actually points to some good things about it. Crisp triggers, smooth safety, conventional design, light weight action.

Double triggers are personal preference. There wasn't anything to suggest in the article that savage attempted to fix it.

I don't mean ill and I'll leave the rest unspoken.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stevens 555 compact... as a turkey gun?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:20 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:55 am
Posts: 5336
Location: Hemingway, S.C. 29554
"you can call 1.5 oz out of a 20 ga. anything you want---" What I would call it is a terribly unbalanced load. If that is the kind of load you were shooting in the Stevens 555, no wonder you don't like it! Should that be what floats your boat, go for it, but I wouldn't shoot it in any of my 20's. The ammo. market makes a lot of money convincing hunters turkeys wear bullet proof armor & we need exotic ammo to kill one. Buy a bigger gun if you can't call one into (normal) 20ga. range. I only shoot 1.25 oz. of the heavy stuff in my 3", 12ga. & 1.5 oz. & over in my 10's. Admittedly these are waterfowl loads. I use buffered lead on turkeys. One oz. of TSS will kill any turkey that ever walked if you can call him into decent range. Call him into 25 yds., & you can do it with #6 lead. It wasn't too many years ago that people were hunting turkeys with small caliber muzzle loaders.
Bottom line is I don't think the Stevens 555 20 ga. was conceived with 1.5 oz. loads in mind & if that is what you want to shoot, it is probably not the best choice. On the other hand, if you take pride in your calling & are willing to accept the limitations of hunting turkeys with a 20 ga., there is no reason it won't work that I know of.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stevens 555 compact... as a turkey gun?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:42 am 
Field Grade

Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:02 pm
Posts: 62
geometric wrote:
"The ammo. market makes a lot of money convincing hunters turkeys wear bullet proof armor & we need exotic ammo to kill one.


Bullet proof armor? That must be for when you are chasing that Mexican slam and wander into cartel lands.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stevens 555 compact... as a turkey gun?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:19 pm 
Diamond Grade
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:58 am
Posts: 1752
Location: Omaha, NE
jacosta95 wrote:
I figure this would be a more appropriate section to post this in than the opinion section. I had a previous post about looking for a new 20 gauge a while back primarily as an all around 20 gauge for busting clays and for upland/waterfowl. Plans changed again (like always) and I'm about to put some money into some much needed new turkey gear. New turkey clothes, vest, extra mouth calls, new pot, spare striker (my only one fell out of my vest it was a miracle I found it), and most importantly a dedicated turkey gun. I have been taking my 3901 and while I love it, a turkey gun it is not. I got bit by the bug last year, but this year I was able to go more than two days and I realized that I really need to get my equipment squared away.

So with that said, I'm wanting get a 20 gauge set up for the sole purpose of turkey hunting. Preferably a youth/compact gun to keep things short and handy. To that end, I've been really eyeing the Stevens 555 compact in a 20 gauge. It checks the box for light and handy. I'd just have to get a mount for a small red dot made, and get it dipped in Camo. The big advantage- two barrels and two different chokes. One barrel with a tighter choke like a .555 IC and the bottom with a more open choke like a factory full or something.

Thoughts?


I like the idea of a compact or youth shotgun for turkey hunting. Easy to maneuver and all that. Your choice of an over/under has valid points too. Can’t speak to the Stevens gun though. Here’s something you might consider if a double is something that you’re set on: a double trigger side by side. You can find a used double in a pawn shop or on gunbroker for a few hundred, like a Savage 311 or something from Spain, cut the stock to the length you want and you’ve got a compact gun (sort of). Pattern it of course so you know your point of impact at various ranges. Might be just the ticket.
Of course Remington and others make compact pumps and autos; not doubles but they’re very practical in terms of accessories and serviceability.

Anxious to see what you decide to get!

_________________
“With age comes wisdom but sometimes age comes alone.”
-Oscar Wilde


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stevens 555 compact... as a turkey gun?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:59 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am
Posts: 26782
Location: Plainfield, IL
jacosta95 wrote:
stevens 555 compact... as a turkey gun?

Thoughts?


Why do you ask a question if you don't want an answer?

The 555 is an extremely high recoil, remarkably poorly made, junk-level O/U. I didn't dream it, I know this quite well from testing several examples. Beyond that, throwing a "camo dip" and struggling to put a red dot sight on it just makes it an even uglier piece of cobbled-together trash.

I'm sorry that this isn't the pre-ordained answer that you want. It is a very loud and clear opinion based on experience. So, go buy three of them if you wish.

_________________
--Randy

http://randywakeman.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stevens 555 compact... as a turkey gun?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:08 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:02 pm
Posts: 62
RandyWakeman wrote:
jacosta95 wrote:
stevens 555 compact... as a turkey gun?

Thoughts?


Why do you ask a question if you don't want an answer?

The 555 is an extremely high recoil, remarkably poorly made, junk-level O/U. I didn't dream it, I know this quite well from testing several examples. Beyond that, throwing a "camo dip" and struggling to put a red dot sight on it just makes it an even uglier piece of cobbled-together trash.

I'm sorry that this isn't the pre-ordained answer that you want. It is a very loud and clear opinion based on experience. So, go buy three of them if you wish.


I was looking for opinions. You put one out, and I followed up on it by asking for sources. You cited personal experience, I looked up your review and expressed my opinion where I saw an inconsistency. I was expecting a simple explanation is all.

I'll reiterate for the third time that I meant no ill will, but it is clear that is how you are taking it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stevens 555 compact... as a turkey gun?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:23 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am
Posts: 26782
Location: Plainfield, IL
jacosta95 wrote:
I was looking for opinions. You put one out, and I followed up on it by asking for sources. You cited personal experience, I looked up your review and expressed my opinion where I saw an inconsistency. I was expecting a simple explanation is all.



You're the very first Jim Acosta that cares about sources. :shock: You don't have to look very far to find actual sources: the source is me, and I'm not using a fake name.

All manufacturers get an attempt at a re-do: it has always been that way. Why would anyone think differently? Whether Ruger, Browning, Remington, Breda, etc., etc, they all get the chance to make it right. Whether they fail at it, or not, is up to them.

Simple explanation: a complete Savage / Stevens fail . . . in this case.

_________________
--Randy

http://randywakeman.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: stevens 555 compact... as a turkey gun?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:23 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:02 pm
Posts: 62
Randy, so far you haven't explained how exactly savage failed. You haven't explained how savage tried to fix or replace it. All you have done is reiterate that they have failed. How do you expect me to trust a source that doesn't explain a failure? It's not logical to do so. I apologize if you took this personal, but it wasn't meant to be.




Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: Abbiboy, arklite, att, Banshee, BE Chuter, BG1187, bigeejakes, Billcunn, Bing [Bot], birdshot8'S, casonet, cbradford, chipandlip, Clark, clayshooterandy, D McMillen, dcr5468, dfw_bill, dogchaser37, dubob, electricd, elpato, EricB, eyeonbird, Ezra Smack, fiver, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, Hardingshessfarm, Harshaw, idoc, Jaspo01, jml, johnnie g, Keperkey, Kingwoodsman, Lam101, leftex, mactownbob, Mark Pfeifer, oldtechshooter, oneounceload, Quikz28, RGuill96971, rkrcpa, RMc, Rodbuster, rosiesdad, RUT, Saltydog055, sherpa guide, Sims58, Supertex1978, SuperXOne, T-Pee, Tal/IL, tileman71, ushoot2, Virginian, Westender, wickowick, wjonessc


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group    - DMCA Notice