ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu May 06, 2021 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone uses a Win 1897 for bird hunting?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:15 am 
Tournament Grade

I have a VERY old Winchester 1897, and I would like to try it sometime for dove hunting. Just to have the experience and to show my buddies what this relic can do. I only fired like 8 to 10 shells thru it without any issues, but I'm not very confident about the "safe" of this model. To put this model in safe, you need to half cock the hammer. And then move it towards you to fire. It's kind of ackward, but I would like to know from others experiences with this model.

Post subject: Re: Anyone uses a Win 1897 for bird hunting?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:22 am 
Diamond Grade

Not all Winchester 97 are "very old", of course.
In good shape, it would work well for hunting.
The big risk with a Winchester 97 is in the pump action, to the skin of your thumb over the grip as the bolt comes back.
An empty chamber is always safe.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:51 am 
Tournament Grade

saskbooknut wrote:
Not all Winchester 97 are "very old", of course.
In good shape, it would work well for hunting.
The big risk with a Winchester 97 is in the pump action, to the skin of your thumb over the grip as the bolt comes back.
An empty chamber is always safe.

My 1897's serial number is 432xx. 2nd year production.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:23 am 
Crown Grade

When I lived in Tampa, FL I met two guys, both of whom had lost a lower leg due to accidents with Model 97 Winchester’s mishandled by teenage friends. That was not only one heck of a coincidence, it serves as stark reminders of how dangerous it can be to decock a Model 97 and, of course, the critical importance of always pointing every firearm in a safe direction.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:34 am 
Diamond Grade

And if the Win97 is dangerous, so is every hammer gun.
It's not the gun, but unsafe handling to worry about.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:21 pm 
Crown Grade

saskbooknut wrote:
And if the Win97 is dangerous, so is every hammer gun.
It's not the gun, but unsafe handling to worry about.

Agreed, and not to be argumentative, a Model 97 differs from most other hammer guns in that it’s cocked each time it’s loaded/pumped, resulting in more times that it has to be decocked without letting the hammer slip. That said, they’re beautiful old guns and a lot of fun to shoot, and besides if they’re never pointed in an unsafe direction and handled carefully they’re inherently safe.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

Guns without an exposed hammer have the hammer back ready to fire. Some people can't fret enough.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:04 pm 
Crown Grade

Not fretting, just trying unsuccessfully to make a point about what contributed to two unfortunate accidents that cost two friends lower limbs. I yield.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

Maybe I'll use it at the end of the season. Don't want to use it too much. Forend is cracked and I looked everywhere for an original and couldn't find the three screw model.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:21 pm 
Crown Grade

I've shot them but never hunted with one. I hunted with a couple of brothers who shared a 97. It had some wear and you had to pull forward on the forearm to make it fire.

There isn't anything unsafe about a hammer gun but on the 97, as was mentioned, don't pump it with your trigger hand too far up on the stock or you will have a sore thumb.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a buddy I hunt with who owns a number of 97's. I know he hunts turkey, pheasanrs, quail and waterfowl with them. He shoots them extremely well.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:15 am 
Diamond Grade

Back in the 60s, I hunted some with an uncle that used that gun. It was very effective for him.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:03 am 
Crown Grade

I believe all model 97s had a 2 3/4" chamber but some early chambers may be a tad short which might raise issues with modern shells and pressures.
Just a consideration on an early gun.

What harm would a cracked forearm do on a M97?

That small and somewhat slick hammer can be problematic re safety but normal procedures with loaded firearms will apply and not negate the long use of that scattergun in the gamefields.
A fat thumb can be an issue.....not a bad tradeoff tho.

I used one my father had acquired as a gift, he never used it himself and it eventually went down the road.
It is one I wish I had back in order to make the pheasants...quail.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:37 am 
Field Grade

I always wanted a 97 but a buddy with vast experience told me about an accident with one and after that the desire died. Is accident anther guy shot and ruined the front fender of his car, the cause was the exposed hammer and poor handling.
Think of this, when factories learned how to have enclosed hammers, the old dog eared shotguns got very rare. Ruminate on that a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:53 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Quote:
Anyone uses a Win 1897 for bird hunting?

That was my Dad's very 1st shotgun, a used model purchased with his paper route money. He used it for many years on everything that could be hunted with a shotgun at the time.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:09 pm 
Field Grade

I've used mine for many years, and have never had a safety issue. The full choke on mine can be a bit of a hindrance for close up work, but the dozens of doves, crows, and squirrels that have fallen to it haven't complained much. I say as long as the barrel is tight to the action and the hammer doesn't push off, use it and enjoy it. Light loads won't hurt it, and even 1.25 oz loads in moderation are fine.

Mac

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:46 pm 
Field Grade

My grandfather always hunted with a 97 and when he passed I became the PROUD OWNER of it. I have used it to hunt many times and have never had a issue with it but I am very safety minded with all guns.

I have a family member that does the Cowboy shoots and he has several 97s as they are very popular in that area.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:53 am 
Tournament Grade

MacAR wrote:
I've used mine for many years, and have never had a safety issue. The full choke on mine can be a bit of a hindrance for close up work, but the dozens of doves, crows, and squirrels that have fallen to it haven't complained much. I say as long as the barrel is tight to the action and the hammer doesn't push off, use it and enjoy it. Light loads won't hurt it, and even 1.25 oz loads in moderation are fine.

Mac

Mine's barrel is very tight! It's the solid frame version.

Now, let's see if we will have a dove hunting season. We are supposed to get hit by tropical storm Dorian tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:29 pm 
Utility Grade

Same as Lawdog my grandad had one and I got it when he passed away. I used it some when I was in high school and he would take me to a railroad crossing and drop me off and then pick me up at the next crossing. He was a retired railroad section foreman and knew where the pheasants were likely to be along the tracks. I still take it out late in the season when the birds are flushing further out. The full choke makes long shots at pheasants possible.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:07 pm 
Crown Grade

No, but only because I don't own one. I sure wish I had a great working example and then you can bet it would go hunting. I love the looks and feel of the great Model 97!