ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: wild bird shooting method
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:06 pm 
Field Grade

geometric wrote:
Bob Brister writes in his book, "Shotgunning: The Art and Science", no matter how good you are there will come a day that the only thing you can do is put your gun in the rack & come back the next day & try again. Not a direct quote but more or less what he said. I have been there & struggled with what you are struggling with and I think most of the rest of us have as well. What helped me come out of my slump was to forget about the people. Don't try to impress anybody, just be yourself and shoot. Look at a miss as a learning experience & above all, don't dwell on it. I remember thinking, "I can shoot pretty good when I am alone but I can't hit squat when people are watching". I was embarrassed when I missed & it made me nervous. Putting all that out of mind improved my shooting dramatically. I have also had days when I was totally alone that I got rattled which destroyed my shooting. Just a different version of the same old Gremlin. I got tense and the more I dwelled on it, the worse it got. Learning to relax & be natural was the fix. I don't know if your problem is similar to what mine was but I hope this helps you get over it. Brister recommended practicing your gun mount a lot so it will be automatic or natural when a bird flushes.

Thank you, yes this is what happened to me a lot too. And for whatever reason I couldn't shake out of it all season. I can hit the pen raised birds, but I wanted a wild rooster so bad that I was putting pressure on myself and not relaxing. There was also the fact of needing to identify rooster vs. hen that isn't there when shooting pen birds. One bird in particular I remember, the dog got on scent and a wild chase ensued, the dog and bird running circles in front of me, doubling back, zig zagging etc. It was really amazing to watch, all I could see was ripples in the bean field as the growth was just over the height of dog and bird. When the flush happened I raised my gun a little and saw no color and a short tail so I stopped my mount and lowered my gun. Just then young mister pheasant ripped out a series of cackles that lasted all the way across the field as he flew. It was a late hatch around here last year and many of the roosters weren't very developed. Lesson learned.