ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Question for the British SGW Members
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:20 am 
Tournament Grade

At some undefined point in the future, my family intends to take a vacation trip to Britain. Naturally, as a bird hunter, I won't be able to resist the urge to fulfill one of my bucket list items while there, which is participating in a traditional driven pheasant shoot. My question is what the gun and game shooting laws are like in Britain for someone who is not a British resident? Can you rent or be loaned guns without a shotgun license? Do many places offer gun rental, and if so, what is the typical cost? What sort of permits are needed to take game? These are just a few of my questions. I'm entirely new to the whole subject, so any input or links to insightful resources would be most appreciated.

"I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post which any human power can give."Thomas Jefferson, 1788

Post subject: Re: A Question for the British SGW Members
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Never shot driven pheasant or partridge as no interest exists and driven red grouse is off my union card but I have shot walked-up red grouse in Scotland.

I rented a shotgun at a sporting goods store, Crockart's as I recall, and do not remember the cost....very easy to do and the legal storage of the gun while not shooting was taken care of where I stayed.
I would only suggest respecting, as I'm sure you will, the process by dressing in the traditional manner.
You will be rewarded with a great experience amongst the heather and find many wonderful memories well off the hill.

Post subject: Re: A Question for the British SGW Members
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:00 pm 
Crown Grade

Sorry to be late on parade.

My question is what the gun and game shooting laws are like in Britain for someone who is not a British resident? Not particularly onerous.

The game shooting season is five months long; a bit more if you go wildfowling on the foreshore. Wood pigeon and rabbits have no close season and there are many guides offering to kit you out and mentor you. There are no bag limits for game birds or pigeons / rabbits.

A good day's pigeon shooting is a great experience and costs far less than driven birds.

As a visitor you can hire a gun and your guide / host can arrange it for you.

As an initial source for driven, Google "Guns on Pegs".

For all things Scottish ...https://aimwildfowling.scot/goose-decoying/ and a personal recommendationhttps://www.gunsonpegs.com/shoots/borders/d-v-sporting

If you want to shoot high birds, at considerable expense, Google "Bettws Hall"; experience of a lifetime. They can kit you out with all you need. I used to live nearby and work my retrievers there. In the video below, when it starts my cottage is just over the horizon.

Their Chargot shoot is incredible ...

Drop me a PM if you need more.

Eugene