ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Argentina dove hunting—requesting a recommendation
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 11:38 am 
Field Grade

I am planning on doing a dove hunt in Argentina next year. I would appreciate any recommendations for outfitters and any tips on spare gun parts or anything in general. Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Argentina dove hunting—requesting a recommendation
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 11:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

H&H outfitters is excellent. They market through “Treck Safaris” out of Miami, FL

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 2:50 pm 
Field Grade

Great. Thank you. I will look them up.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 3:16 pm 
Field Grade

A friend of mine has gone several times and although the have their favorite shotguns the elect to use the outfitters guns saying there are too many chances to “loose a gun “ going through the customs process. They also say you are required to buy your shells from the outfitter and the cost can equal the cost of the hunt. Still it is on my bucket list.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:02 pm 
Crown Grade

The cost to bring your own is about the same as renting when it comes to customs.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

Last edited by oneounceload on Sat May 04, 2019 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

In my case the rental gun was exactly the same gun that I would have taken. I would rent again if I go another time

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:42 pm 
Crown Grade

I wouldn’t take my own guns to Argentina as theft is a major risk. The Beretta S/As that I rented shot fine. I did have a couple of breakdowns but the guns were quickly replaced and, as you’ll find out, a short break in the high-volume shooting was welcome. One recommendation: ask to include pigeon shooting over decoys in your itinerary if it’s an option. It’s a lot of fun and you can still shoot doves between flights of pigeons.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:17 pm 
Limited Edition

We finally made it to Argentina and we used David Denies. We stayed at the Córdoba Lodge.
We had an amazing time and the food was unreal. They create meals in the field that were some of the best I’ve had; especially is your a meat eater.
I think the part that will stick with me the most (aside from the volume of Dove) was how hard Guillermo Magnani and his staff worked. From the lodge staff to the field staff your treated like a VIP.
We struggled with the decision to take our own guns or rent. We finally decided to rent and I’m glad we did. It was nice to not worry about my gun, because I know I would have.
They have several to choose from in 28, 20, and 12ga.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:05 am 
Limited Edition

Late reply because I just saw this
Taking your gun the last few years has been a hassle and ties you up in the airport for long periods of time. I take a slip on pad to give me the right length for me. Many places have Benelli and Beretta autos for rent. My wife has a Beretta 391 20ga. with a custom stock so we took the stock and put it the rental gun. It worked perfectly and no problems at the airports.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

Just make sure you get to talk to the lodge and some shooters who have recently been there before you book/pay. I got burned on what was supposed to be a week-long Argentina combo hunt (duck/dove/pigeon/perdiz) several years ago that turned out to be a duck hunting trip with one great perdiz hunt and one really mediocre pigeon hunt. We were steered wrong by one of the more prominent hunting outfitters. If I had talked to the lodge directly it wouldn't have happened, as they were not happy when we got there and asked about dove hunting etc. Lesson learned, now we work with the lodge directly and ask for references.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:18 am 
Diamond Grade

Friend of mine has gone multiple times. He initially took his own guns. But now rents.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You could probably make a heck of a deal on a trip right now. I went after the ‘07-08 crash and negotiated half price.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:58 am 
Field Grade

I'm interested in this thread as well since I plan to go to Argentina, or less likely Bolivia, next year. That is assuming I have any money left after the stock market ravaged virus pandemic.

I've just started looking at possibilities so any suggestions are appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:29 am 
Crown Grade

Litespeed wrote:
I'm interested in this thread as well since I plan to go to Argentina, or less likely Bolivia, next year. That is assuming I have any money left after the stock market ravaged virus pandemic.

Contact John
https://bestwingshooting.com/

I know him, nice guy, very conscientious who also checks out places before he agrees to book clients

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:40 am 

http://www.argentinasbesthunting.com/
Highly rated with good reports from friends of mine.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

Recently heard from a very reputable source that bird numbers are way down for several of the Cordoba lodges. One in particular that advertises only 10 minute drives to hunt (accurate the time I went there) is apparently having to drive groups up to two hours to get on birds, and the numbers aren't what you expect from a Cordoba high-volume hunt. Sounds like they had a brutal hailstorm in the area that may have either destroyed roosts and/or killed a bunch of birds. One more reason to get and call references that have been to a lodge recently.

If the birds are there, it's an absolute blast.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

Following.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:20 pm 
Crown Grade

Perdiz wrote:
Recently heard from a very reputable source that bird numbers are way down for several of the Cordoba lodges. One in particular that advertises only 10 minute drives to hunt (accurate the time I went there) is apparently having to drive groups up to two hours to get on birds, and the numbers aren't what you expect from a Cordoba high-volume hunt. Sounds like they had a brutal hailstorm in the area that may have either destroyed roosts and/or killed a bunch of birds. One more reason to get and call references that have been to a lodge recently.

Could it be that the hail storm destroyed the crops they were feeding on and so the birds just go to other fields now to eat? There are what, supposedly 10,000,000 roosting pairs in Cordoba? It would have been a helluva hail storm to kill that many

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Perdiz wrote:

Could it be that the hail storm destroyed the crops they were feeding on and so the birds just go to other fields now to eat? There are what, supposedly 10,000,000 roosting pairs in Cordoba? It would have been a helluva hail storm to kill that many

Very well could be the answer too. Would make sense, wouldn't it? Would also sync with them having to drive 2 hours, as that might put them outside the crop damage area.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:12 pm 
Field Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Litespeed wrote:

Contact John
https://bestwingshooting.com/

I know him, nice guy, very conscientious who also checks out places before he agrees to book clients

Thank you for the information and link. I'll look over the linked website and give John a call.