ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kansas Opener/Pheasant Report
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:55 pm 
Utility Grade

Very dry in Kansas this year. I’ve been going out the last 4 years (fly into KC, drive to Norton with a friend and his English Setters). We had a fine nature walk with guns - that is, not as many pheasants but lots of quail (for us, anyway). Every place we scouted seemed to have a truck parked when we got there, so my impression is more hunters this year. We might forego the opener just to avoid the crowds next year.

We must have run into 6 coveys of pheasants! Non-shooting day we drove by 2 groups of roosters near the road and walked up on bunches of hens over the next few days. Darn near had heart attacks over 2 days when separate groups got up within shotgun barrel distance. I had never seen this kind of bunching. There were no distinctive features (water, crops, dusting spots) to where they were. Single hens stayed tight under points but roosters, even on the first shooting day, were getting bumped pretty far out.

The one I got (28 ga, #7.5, IM choke) was on the deep grassy fringe of an absolutely bare field. He let me walk past but got nervous when I stopped to take a breather and made a noisy dash for the woods. Dog helped with the retrieve. I was using 7.5 because I was expecting quail, but dead bird didn’t know the difference.

Quail popped up everywhere, but I still haven’t gotten a double. Maybe next year.

Post subject: Re: Kansas Opener/Pheasant Report
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

jack,

Good report buddy, Ken Graft and his KS hunting partner leave for KS shortly, I will relay the word!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It’s raining here in Kansas as I write this. Huge line of thunderstorms moving north from Wichita

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:02 pm 
Presentation Grade

A friend of mine who lives near Hutchinson, says the bird numbers are down. He's taken 3 so far. He hunts nearly every day of the season and hunts hard when he's out.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

Six of us hunted the opener 40 miles north of Dodge City. Very poor pheasant numbers. We shot three roosters, and saw few others . We did jump two coveys of quail and got four of them.
We were hunting private land, our family farm, that I’ve hunted since the 60s.