ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New York bird hunting
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:56 pm 
Field Grade

I’m considering getting a license for NY this year for grouse and woodcock. Looking for some ideas of some places to checkout.

Post subject: Re: New York bird hunting
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

Grouse ain’t what it used to be especially the Adirondack’s. Very central New York Norwich area seems lately the most promising. Get on the dec website lots of public land.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:25 am 
Presentation Grade

Flyfrod,

I have hunted just across the border from Potter County, Pa in NY for many years. The Grouse and Woodcock hunting was very good for many years and the NY season goes on longer than Pa's and the Grouse limit is greater also. In recent years the Grouse population has fallen off, however it's still good hunting. I never give my Grouse Covert location away, however both the private land and the NY state game land in the mountains close to Potter County, Pa have a good Grouse population in them, and nice habitat. The gunning is tough and the birds like to hold in the thick habitat. You should have a nice time if you have a good Grouse dog.

Have a good time Grouse hunting NY!
I do hate giving the NY Game Commission license money because of the Unconstitutional NY gun control policies.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Just across the line from Potter County, Pa, is good Grouse hunting in NY.

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:49 am 
Tournament Grade

The central counties would be a good area to check out. I use to hunt Otsego County with good success. However, I have not hunted there in a few years so can't speak to the current situation.